Merci Markov........ Again! Habs lose 4-3 in OT.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Another great performance against a top dog! Got the love our corsi recently. This can only means good things to come! Last two games were simply dominating and that's against two of the best teams league-wide. This to me show that we're one of the best team out there. Just a question of time before the W starts piling up again.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
The last goal it was pretty much everyone's fault.

But isn't it ironic that Therrien says Galchenyuk is moved to wing because he isn't good enough defensively and 30s into the next game Desharnais atrocious defensive play leads to a goal. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

yea it took approx 20 seconds for someone to skate right past DD in the middle and score he was both spun around AND dropped his stick if i recall correctly

all that by approx 19:40 of the first period :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Therrien instinct

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Another great performance against a top dog! Got the love our corsi recently. This can only means good things to come! Last two games were simply dominating and that's against two of the best teams league-wide. This to me show that we're one of the best team out there. Just a question of time before the W starts piling up again.

Most Dominant Worst Stretch in Habs History.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
they played 5 against 4 for almost full period and still could not score. this coach and GM cannot fix PP for nearly 2 (two) years.

It's been over two years. Our PP has been sucking since 2013. It'll be three years if it doesn't change by the end of the year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wouldn't want Gallagher taken off the Pleks/Pacioretty line. It works well as-is. Eller and Galchenyuk -- sure. Now they need to find the missing winger.
You need to give Galchenyuk some good wingers. It is absolutely unacceptable and insane that their idea of developing the most important pick in forever is to have him center Eller-Semin/grinders/rookies. Seriously, I still can't over that.

Gallagher should be playing with him, and the two bozos need to be fired.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Yep. Davey more responsible...

Evidence to the contrary.

Exhibit A:
Edmonton loss earlier this season when he was owned by Nugent-Hopkins.

Exhibit B:
STL game where he is slow to react and let's Lehtera blow by him

Exhibit C:
Game against Rangers where he let's his man score breakaway goal contact free .

Buy yeah, keep on saying he is responsible, MT.

So basically DD's man was responsible for the first and last goal of last night's game. Nice.

Most Dominant Worst Stretch in Habs History.

:yo::yo::yo:

Just brings a tear to your eye doesn't it. Simply beautiful.

Yup. I love that the other team lost their minds over a clean hit. It's pretty obvious that a mandate had come from top brass not to lay out the big hits anymore. Even Subban stopped doing it. I'm glad they've lossened the reigns. That kind of hit is a momentum and game changer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No. That was my point. It's NOT a coincidence that the team stopped scoring the moment the goaltending stopped making key saves. The two are tied together. It's the same skaters compensating for sub-NHL goaltending.

I'll keep repeating this: When you see radically different results, you DON'T look to the people who've been the same.

Our goalies have been making key saves. I also disagree that poor goaltending and scoring droughts are related. You don't lose your scoring ability because your goalie lets in 3 goals as opposed to 2, or 1.
Colorado is part of the worst teams for GA, yet they're top 5 for scoring. Dallas is 20th for GA yet lead the NHL for GF. The two are unrelated.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The Blues having been playing like chokers. Searching for a moral victory against a team like that is foolishness. Anaheim has a more anemic offense than we do and these very same Blues let them back in as well a few games ago.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's been over two years. Our PP has been sucking since 2013. It'll be three years if it doesn't change by the end of the year.

The worst is all those players had success on the PP in the past. Markov and Plekanec have both been part of some of the best PP in the league for a while. Yes they are slower but it should not be that much of a problem on the PP at all imo.

In 2009-2010 we were 7th in the league with 19.6%. Subban was the most used on the PP. Markov was 2nd. Plekanec was the 3rd most used forward on the PP.

In 2007-2008 we were 1st with 24.3%. Markov was the most used. Plekanec was the 3rd most used forward.

in 2012-2013 we were 5th with 20.7%. Markov was the most used and Subban the 2nd most used. Patch was the most used forward and Plekanec the 3rd most used forward.

Then all of a sudden all those guys can't do **** on the PP anymore.

But no it's not on the coach it's all because of the players. That group should do much better on the PP and heads should be rolling by now. Daniel Lacroix is one of the worst move MB did imo. Muller and Gallant were much better.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our goalies have been making key saves. I also disagree that poor goaltending and scoring droughts are related. You don't lose your scoring ability because your goalie lets in 3 goals as opposed to 2, or 1.
Colorado is part of the worst teams for GA, yet they're top 5 for scoring. Dallas is 20th for GA yet lead the NHL for GF. The two are unrelated.

Our goalies are giving up three goals because our skaters are only allowing 26 shots-against per game. That's freaking scary. Our skaters are scrambling to prevent any shot they can, knowing that even easy ones can trickle through, or will almost certainly bounce somewhere for a juicy rebound. Remember how the D cleared the path to allow Price to make a routine save? That's gone. When a frugal 26 shots isn't even small enough to keep out 3 goals, no shot is a routine save.

Sure, our goalies have made great saves. They've had strong games. But their cumulative performance over the last 19 games has been very, very bad. Succeeding 88% of the time is really good in many things, but when you're a goalie it's really bad.

If a random NHL team started the season with a goalie combo of Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski, where would you rank them? For me, that's absolute bottom of the league. That's what we've had, man -- 33 games with Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski as our goalies. There's our season so far. I look at that stark reality and think how could our skaters NOT be compensating heavily.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The worst is all those players had success on the PP in the past. Markov and Plekanec have both been part of some of the best PP in the league for a while. Yes they are slower but it should not be that much of a problem on the PP at all imo.

In 2009-2010 we were 7th in the league with 19.6%. Subban was the most used on the PP. Markov was 2nd. Plekanec was the 3rd most used forward on the PP.

In 2007-2008 we were 1st with 24.3%. Markov was the most used. Plekanec was the 3rd most used forward.

in 2012-2013 we were 5th with 20.7%. Markov was the most used and Subban the 2nd most used. Patch was the most used forward and Plekanec the 3rd most used forward.

Then all of a sudden all those guys can't do **** on the PP anymore.

But no it's not on the coach it's all because of the players. That group should do much better on the PP and heads should be rolling by now. Daniel Lacroix is one of the worst move MB did imo. Muller and Gallant were much better.

Here we agree. There is no excuse for not drastically revamping the PP. Yes, we saw a big bump in October/November. Maybe there's something to build on. But with the talent we have on D we should be scaring the crap out of every opposing goalie and dman. In this case, the cliched complaints (Desharnais, coaching) are actually the right ones.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Our goalies are giving up three goals because our skaters are only allowing 26 shots-against per game. That's freaking scary. Our skaters are scrambling to prevent any shot they can, knowing that even easy ones can trickle through, or will almost certainly bounce somewhere for a juicy rebound. Remember how the D cleared the path to allow Price to make a routine save? That's gone. When a frugal 26 shots isn't even small enough to keep out 3 goals, no shot is a routine save.

Sure, our goalies have made great saves. They've had strong games. But their cumulative performance over the last 19 games has been very, very bad. Succeeding 88% of the time is really good in many things, but when you're a goalie it's really bad.

If a random NHL team started the season with a goalie combo of Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski, where would you rank them? For me, that's absolute bottom of the league. That's what we've had, man -- 33 games with Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski as our goalies. There's our season so far. I look at that stark reality and think how could our skaters NOT be compensating heavily.

Habs goals for since Dec. 1st:

2,2,2,1,2,3,1,0,2,1,1,1,4(SO!),1,5(WC),3,2,1,1,3

That's 15 games out of 20 that Habs have scored 2 or less goals. Even under Price Therrien's motto has been that we need 3 to win a hockey game. Also if Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski are so bad, who is the one responsible for acquiring them? Bergevin. Condon has been alright. The other two are downright terrible. If your entire system revolves around one player then don't need to be a genius to figure out that's a dumb idea.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

That's 15 games out of 20 that Habs have scored 2 or less goals. Even under Price Therrien's motto has been that we need 3 to win a hockey game. Also if Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski are so bad, who is the one responsible for acquiring them? Bergevin. Condon has been alright. The other two are downright terrible. If your entire system revolves around one player then don't need to be a genius to figure out that's a dumb idea.

I'll keep repeating this over and over and over: Of course scoring is a problem. So is the line juggling, the erratic PP, the choice of rookie callups, the decline of Markov, and Therrien's elevated low-density cholesterol.

But the problem at the very top of the pyramid is having league's worst goaltending for 75% of the season thus far. Offence has and will rebound -- the numbers support it. But the goaltending is exactly what it currently is -- the numbers support that as well. The other thing is that because of the extreme down-shift of quality in nets, there's been a trickle-down effect that has compromised the offence. But in fairness, this is a more subjective topic than SV% or G/GP, so maybe we can discuss it in its own thread, if people are interested. Something like, "How much has our Offence been affected by Goaltending?"

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Condon is a fine back up and scrivens been very good the 2 games he played in, the problem is neither of them are no1 goalie. How can u explain that the habs have more scoring chances and more puck possession time most of the time so far this year if the system rely only on Price!!?? The problem is not the system, its the lack of talent upfront that result in low shooting % in good scoring chances area.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'll keep repeating this over and over and over: Of course scoring is a problem. So is the line juggling, the erratic PP, the choice of rookie callups, the decline of Markov, and Therrien's elevated low-density cholesterol.

But the problem at the very top of the pyramid is having league's worst goaltending for 75% of the season thus far. Offence has and will rebound -- the numbers support it. But the goaltending is exactly what it currently is -- the numbers support that as well. The other thing is that because of the extreme down-shift of quality in nets, there's been a trickle-down effect that has compromised the offence. But in fairness, this is a more subjective topic than SV% or G/GP, so maybe we can discuss it in its own thread, if people are interested. Something like, "How much has our Offence been affected by Goaltending?"

Does Carey Price help our offense? Yes absolutely in so many ways. However if you check advanced stats on NHL.com Habs had the best offense in the league before Carey's injury and 3rd worst after his injury, only teams worst in that stretch are Vancouver and Anaheim. If Carey is that integral to our offense's success then if I am his agent I am taking those numbers straight to management and asking for 12M during the next negotiations.

More fun facts. Before Carey's injury we didn't even have the best GA. We were 6th. Nor do we have the worst GA after his injury on nov. 25 we are 22nd during this stretch. Eight teams have a worst GA than us, Dallas, Edmonton, Carolina, Nashville, Arizona, NYR, CBJ, Ottawa.

Condon is a fine back up and scrivens been very good the 2 games he played in, the problem is neither of them are no1 goalie. How can u explain that the habs have more scoring chances and more puck possession time most of the time so far this year if the system rely only on Price!!?? The problem is not the system, its the lack of talent upfront that result in low shooting % in good scoring chances area.

And how do you explain Habs leading the league in GF with the exact same talentless roster we have today minus Semin before Carey Price's injury? Or to be more specific, before Therrien decided to juggle the lines and mess with the teams chemistry?

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC

But the problem at the very top of the pyramid is having league's worst goaltending for 75% of the season thus far.
And others will keep repeating that goal scoring is at the very top of the pyramid. It was also an issue last season, a season where we were low-tier in GF, and were eliminated after scoring only 5 goals in our 4 losses. Same as the previous year. So, either we improve goal scoring, or rely on Price to get a shutout at least 75% of the time.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Does Carey Price help our offense? Yes absolutely in so many ways. However if you check advanced stats on NHL.com Habs had the best offense in the league before Carey's injury and 3rd worst after his injury, only teams worst in that stretch are Vancouver and Anaheim. If Carey is that integral to our offense's success then if I am his agent I am taking those numbers straight to management and asking for 12M during the next negotiations.

More fun facts. Before Carey's injury we didn't even have the best GA. We were 6th. Nor do we have the worst GA after his injury on nov. 25 we are 22nd during this stretch. Eight teams have a worst GA than us, Dallas, Edmonton, Carolina, Nashville, Arizona, NYR, CBJ, Ottawa.

And how do you explain Habs leading the league in GF with the exact same talentless roster we have today minus Semin before Carey Price's injury? Or to be more specific, before Therrien decided to juggle the lines and mess with the teams chemistry?

You really tought DD was gonna have a 95pts season, Weise 40goals and Fleischamann 30-30, Mitchell 25-25!!?? its just back to reality!! We dont have enough talent upfront!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad