OT: Memories of Richard Peddie

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Oversaw the JFJ era which saw the removal of Pat Quinn as GM then brought in Cliff and Burke.

JFJ was a puppet, Fletcher was a poor choice as stop gap, and Burke was a trainwreck.

i always figured he had to do what the teachers wanted that's not his fault per se. i always put the blame squarely on them and the dumbos who ran the team.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Oversaw the JFJ era which saw the removal of Pat Quinn as GM then brought in Cliff and Burke.

JFJ was a puppet, Fletcher was a poor choice as stop gap, and Burke was a trainwreck.

Speaking of puppets, who here remembers "Richard the Ventriloquist" as he was mouthing words to Cliff Fletcher during the press conference announcing him as interim GM?

"Keys to the Castle"...:laugh:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Can't hate him personally. But I will always 'hate' his public side for his role with the Leafs in delaying their success with shortcuts & terrible moves. Just terrible!

Thank God for Shanagement/Shanaplan :bow:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
great developer, but he thought he was a coach. him and tannenbaum were at odds, but most of the bad decisions that you've seen during bad years were originally from him, and he apparently liked to meddle.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He's a smug pr!ck.

Didn't the owners of the Leafs....first Teachers Pension and then Rogers/Bell like this type of person.
Ferguson was a smug, though completely out of his realm as a GM. Then the always smug by then senile Fletcher. Petty seemed to found his blood brother in Burke. The two smartest people in the universe according to them. Yea for what they accomplished as a ratio to the dollars they were given by MLG, they were very smart. Probably got more $$ per hour worked than any paid employees in pro sports history.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Richard Peddie was a smart business man who made the owners of MLSE a ton of cash through business and real estate deals and marketing and so on.

Unfortunately for us Leafs/Raptors/TFC fans, the owners of MLSE were all about making money and saw no reason to let Peddie go just because their sports teams were a failing product in the standings because they were making cash hand over foot.

Deep down I actually believe that Peddie wanted to win, but he had zero "bleeping" clue how to go about making it happen and his ego as a business man got in the way of making a smart decision and hiring someone that knew what they were doing.

Reactions: highslot

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I really think JFJ could have done a decent job here if Peddie/MLSE didn't insist on "no rebuild", prompting the trades for Raycroft, then Toskala.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I really think JFJ could have done a decent job here if Peddie/MLSE didn't insist on "no rebuild", prompting the trades for Raycroft, then Toskala.

I don't. Ferguson may have been given a certain type of mandate but Peddie didn't tell him to trade good assets for garbage. To this day, I still can't believe that Ferguson gave up a major asset for a goalie with a .879 Save% the previous year. The equivalent would have been if Lou had traded Liljegren to acquire Calvin Pickard.

Ferguson would have completely botched any rebuild.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Jr only wanted to do a full rebuild after he drove the 100 pt team he took over into the gutter.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Let's talk about someone whose impact is actually underrated: Tim Leiweke. Leiweke hired both Shanahan and Ujiri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->