MEMORIES OF EVENTS: "What were you doing when..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
"...when some historic moment in hockey happened?"

I don't remember with the biggest events, but some lesser hockey moments will forever be associated with personal history.

I was waving a white towel in our living room when the Canucks beat the Blackhawks on their 1982 Cup run.

I was in a Greyhound bus, lifting my walkman earphones up in strange positions to get a clearer reception, as I listened to the Edmonton Oilers once again, for the last time (to date), beat the Flames in a playoff series.

I was at an Italian restaurant in Windsor when the Capitals shut down the Penguins top duo in one of the longest playoff hockey games ever, only to watch the third threat, Nedved, eventually sink it after I'd ordered a whole heck of a lot of pizza.

I was shedding a tear in Montreal while waiting for a friend in September 2002 as I heard Forsberg wasn't going to play in the NHL that season.

The next month I was hollering at the top of my lungs on a -22 C Northern Albertan October day when it was announced that Linden was returning to the Canucks.

I was huddled close to my computer after midnight during a typhoon on a South Korean island watching ESPN's live webcast of the great Finland-Sweden World Cup 2004 game.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I was sitting in my church's choir loft when...the USA beat Finland for the 1980 goal medal! My friend and I were listening to it on a pocket radio.

I was at work (thank God at a TV station!) when the mighty Wings won the 1997 Cup. But I had both VCR's set at home (one for ESPN, one for CBC), and watched them both when I got home.

I was in the stands for the greatest comeback in NCAA hockey history. UND scores 4 goals in the last 2:40 of the 3rd period, then wins in OT (in 1985, I think).

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I was sitting on our living room couch watching this new sport I had just fallen in love with, not knowing what the OT procedure was - and spitting out a mouthful of Fritos when Bobby went flying through the air to win the Cup in May of 1970 - been a hardcore Bruins fan ever since -

I was sitting in the stands at the old Northlands Coliseum with my dad when Gretzky scored 5 goals for his 50 in 39.

I was watching TV with 6 teammates of mine when the Habs won the Cup in 86.

I was on my lunch break from school at a nearby restaurant when it was announced Gretzky had been traded.

I was drinking large quantities of beer at the local sports pub when Patrick Roy winked at Tomas Sandstrom. Not too surprisingly I was in the same bar and about as drunk when the Habs beat the Kings in 93.

I was standing on my coffee table screaming obsenities at Mario Tremblay and Reggie Houle when it was announced the Patrick Roy would no longer play for the Montreal Canadiens.

I was in the stands freezing my more particular parts off when the heros of the past played one more time on a cold November night in Commonwealth Stadium for the Heritage Classic.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
i was at the world water park in west edmonton mall when the "rumor" that Wayne Gretzky was traded made its rounds, minute later we heard it for ourselves at the snack bar who had it on their radio.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
was at home, having just turned 9, in 1994 watching the Canucks Rangers Game 7, and cried when Nathan Lafyette hit the post. Cried even more when the last few seconds were over.

1998, Took ever known Dominik Hasek hockey card I had and burned them. Thanks you pucker. Little did I know 4 years later.

2002. Home for the women's gold medal game. Cousins for the mens. Women's I was happy, men's I was estatic. That men's gold medal game I will never ever forget.

I remember phoning my mom at work when it became official that Trevor Linden would wear a Canucks jersey once again :jump:

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I was seriously concussed for the men's gold medal game. I remember sitting on my bed wondering what was happening, the puck was moving too fast.

Taped the game though and watched it a week later, with full understanding of what was going on.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
I was sitting in my church's choir loft when...the USA beat Finland for the 1980 goal medal! My friend and I were listening to it on a pocket radio.

I was in the building that afternoon.

We then scalped tickets to the USSR/Sweden game, which followed ... the medal ceremonry was right after the USSR/Sweden game ... still brings chills.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
5-25-91 Breaking up with my girlfriend at the time because I wanted to watch game six of the finals. It was well worth it. ;)

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
VanIslander said:
"...when some historic moment in hockey happened?"

I don't remember with the biggest events, but some lesser hockey moments will forever be associated with personal history.

I was waving a white towel in our living room when the Canucks beat the Blackhawks on their 1982 Cup run.

I was in a Greyhound bus, lifting my walkman earphones up in strange positions to get a clearer reception, as I listened to the Edmonton Oilers once again, for the last time (to date), beat the Flames in a playoff series.

I was at an Italian restaurant in Windsor when the Capitals shut down the Penguins top duo in one of the longest playoff hockey games ever, only to watch the third threat, Nedved, eventually sink it after I'd ordered a whole heck of a lot of pizza.

I was shedding a tear in Montreal while waiting for a friend in September 2002 as I heard Forsberg wasn't going to play in the NHL that season.

The next month I was hollering at the top of my lungs on a -22 C Northern Albertan October day when it was announced that Linden was returning to the Canucks.

I was huddled close to my computer after midnight during a typhoon on a South Korean island watching ESPN's live webcast of the great Finland-Sweden World Cup 2004 game.

You cried because Forsberg wasn't going to play????

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
At home in my basement when USA beat Canada in game 3 of the 1996 World Cup. I remember my dad laughing at me when Amonte scored the game winner.

In my basement when Canada lost the shootout to the Czechs in '98. I had a Hockey sitck in my hand (not sure why?) and broke the shaft after Shanahan missed on the last shot

At Kelsey's restaurant in 2002 Olympics for USA/Canada game. I remember after the US goal to make it 1-0 I said to my friend "If we lose this one we'll never hear the end of it" he then said: " No I still say we win 3-1. Wrong. 5-2

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ACC1224 said:
You cried because Forsberg wasn't going to play????
Are you surprised that my eyes welled up a little with emotion, or that I admit it?

By the way, if you didn't tear up a little while watching one-legged Yzerman get up everytime he was knocked down in the 2002 playoffs, then you are cold, man, cold.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
I was at work in a sports store on Queen (one of the mainest (hehe) streets in Toronto) during the 02 Gold Medal Mens Final)

In the hour or 2 I worked heading up to the game, we sold about 10 or 20 Canada jerseys.

Then the game started and we didn't even make another sale, just sat down and watched the game.

I went out to get lunch halfway through, and the street was literally empty...then packed right after on my walk home.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
I was at a friend's house with about 20 other people watching the 2002 Gold medal game. After we went downtown waving flags and freaking out.

I was home watching the game and nursing a hangover when Gretzky retired. My eyes welled up then.

I was working at a bar for the 1996 world cup. There were alot of fights that night. :banghead:

I was working at the same bar the night the pens and flyers had the never ending game. Its a late night club, so just as the game went into overtime, we got busy, and I didn't have the chance to look at the TV again until after we closed, I couldn't believe the game was still on. Not long after I began watching again, Primeau scored :banghead:

I was working in a different bar when the flyers eliminated the Pens and Mario's career was over. I shed a tear that night.

O/t, but I had a World Series party the night Joe Carter hit the WS winning home run. The second it left the bat, I jumped out of my seat and screamed: "that's gone!!"

I have never once in my life shed a tear over Foresberg, nor do I expect to.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
re

I was at school when I heard Mike Comrie got traded to Anaheim at the 03 Trade Deadline, and then they traded him to Calgary. It turned out to be something about Mike Commodore

lakingsgirl

Feb 3, 2004
I was crying in front of my TV when they announced Trevor Linden was traded, and played a montage of his career in Vancouver set to "Time of Your Life".

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
I remember I week before Linden was traded back to the Nucks me and my friend were joking lets write Brian Burke and tell him to bring back Linden

When I read the paper that day I went nuts

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
Was at my Sunday am. street hockey game , when the word was just getting around that Pelle Lindbergh was injured in a car accident the night before.

Watched the "offsides" call, vs. Isles, on my parents patio, in disbelief as to how bad that call was.
Watched the 1980 Gold medal game, in my bedroom, in shock that we pulled off the biggest upset in sports history.
Remember watching the Flyers win the cups in my parents living room. Great time to be a kid!
Was at the Spectrum, when Bob Frose 1st came up, and he was on a huge winning streak. Our seats we 3 rows off the ice, and we saw him STONE Gretzky on a breakaway!
Was at the last game played at the Spectrum. They skated the current FLYERS with the old timers, and the last pair to hit the ice and skate together where... CLARKE & LINDROS. hard to believe how sour that relationship would go in a few short years.
Game 6 of this years playoffs vs. Tampa. Sea of Orange shirts, and Prims willing the team to a win. Not a person sat for the final period and OT. You couldn't talk to the person next to you. It was that DAMN LOUD!
I'm sure there at countless others that I have see live or on tv.
I did see Broeduer get credit with a goal vs. Philly, when the Flyers pulled the goalie for a delayed penalty, and score into their own net.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
When Matt Cooke scored the game tying goal of game 1 vs. Minnesota with 1.2 seconds left in the game, I was in the upper lounge of my dorm by myself (most people had finished finals and gone home) and I was so excited I jumped up and down on the pool table and broke it but nobody ever found out it was me.

When Matt Cooke scored the game tying goal of game 7 vs. Calgary, I was in the lower lounge with about 10 other people and my ears broke from that experience.

When Bertuzzi hit Moore I was asleep from the night before. Damn you, Neocitran.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
I was in the stands for the greatest comeback in NCAA hockey history. UND scores 4 goals in the last 2:40 of the 3rd period, then wins in OT (in 1985, I think).

You lucky dog!!! I would've given just about anything to have been there to see that one!

Let's see....

I was at a friend's house when word came that Wayne Gretzky had been traded to LA from Edmonton. I was in utter shock. After it all sank in, I cried my eyes out.

I was at a bar with a few friends of mine who were also rooting for the Oilers (though not necessarily die-hard Oilers fans themselves) when they won the 1990 cup. I remember a few Bruins fans looking like they wanted to rip my lungs out.....literally!

I was at a local sports bar here in California, with about nearly 100 Minnesota Golden Gophers fans and about a dozen UNH Wildcats fans during the 2003 NCAA Championship game. The Gophers faithful were going crazy and the UNH fans really needed a hug, not to mention some serious consoling. One guy (UNH fan) had this look on his face like the world had just come to a catastrophic end.

I was at my local hangout when Team USA won the WJC this past January. A few Canadians were also there, and I've never, ever seen such utter shock as I saw on their faces. One guy in a Team Canda jersey literaly broke down and cried. His girlfriend had to console him because he was in such a state.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I was sitting in my living room with my buddies, just finishing up a hockey pool in which I selected Saku, when I found out he was going to miss the season due to his battle with cancer.

I was in row 82 at Commenwealth when Wayne Gretzky returned to Edmonton for the Heritage Classic.

I was at my locker in Grade 9 when I found out the Canadiens had traded Patrick Roy.

I was outside playing road hockey when I found out Wayne Gretzky had been traded to the Kings.

I was at the University of Calgary, getting autographs from the Stampeders, when the Habs won the Stanley Cup in 93.

I was laying on my bed watching the game when Pavel Bure took the pass from Jeff Brown and went in to humilate Mike Vernon and the Calgary Flames.

That's some of them.
Unbiased Canadian

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
I was at my local hangout when Team USA won the WJC this past January. A few Canadians were also there, and I've never, ever seen such utter shock as I saw on their faces. One guy in a Team Canda jersey literaly broke down and cried. His girlfriend had to console him because he was in such a state.

lol.... I barely restrained myself from throwing the remote at Fleury when he went out and played the puck like a Hand Grenade on that one goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad