Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
I don’t get how being part of the #Melnykout group doesn’t make you a fan? I’m 100% in the Melnyk out camp. Been a season ticket holder for a few years (but will not be renewing, partly due to not agreeing with Melnyk’s direction, and partly because my season ticket partner has other financial commitments), bought outdoor game tickets, 300$ karlsson jersey. All on a sub 40k salary. It’s tight but I love my
Sens. But because I’m all for #Melnykout, I’m not a “real” fan? Come on.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Looks like I was completely wrong, fan outrage seems to have lead to a couple of town hall meetings, one of which EM will personally attend, and PD's conference call to season's ticket holders said everything you'd want to hear for the most part.

Well done Ottawa folks!

At face value we'll have more scouts, and management will get EK, Stone, and Duchene signed to long term contracts.

I think this is probably the best realistic outcome of all of this, and I'm glad to see it. Now we just have to wait and see if it all unfolds as laid out. I also appreciate that PD clarified that we do have a plan going forward, but that divulging specifics at this time would be be to give other teams too much information.

Exit meeting and coaching evaluations on the near horizon, and a super busy offseason means that at least we'll have that to look forward to.

Once again, it appears as though I was wrong in my assessment of the meaningfulness of the campaign. Positive news of any kind is great to see, my apologies and well done!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So far we have had a detailed extensive survey sent to the fans with some jersey discounts, we have had a Dorion conference with fans and now a Melnyk Town Halls.

All this trouble for the small minority from HFboards wow.

I think I read that the town-halls will be with STHs, and not necessarily open to the public.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like I was completely wrong, fan outrage seems to have lead to a couple of town hall meetings, one of which EM will personally attend, and PD's conference call to season's ticket holders said everything you'd want to hear for the most part.

Well done Ottawa folks!

At face value we'll have more scouts, and management will get EK, Stone, and Duchene signed to long term contracts.

I think this is probably the best realistic outcome of all of this, and I'm glad to see it. Now we just have to wait and see if it all unfolds as laid out. I also appreciate that PD clarified that we do have a plan going forward, but that divulging specifics at this time would be be to give other teams too much information.

Exit meeting and coaching evaluations on the near horizon, and a super busy offseason means that at least we'll have that to look forward to.

Once again, it appears as though I was wrong in my assessment of the meaningfulness of the campaign. Positive news of any kind is great to see, my apologies and well done!
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised about these town halls being called, and at first blush, I'd say nothing will come of them, but that's what I thought about this billboard campaign too so who knows.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think I read that the town-halls will be with STHs, and not necessarily open to the public.
Renew your tickets or you can't come to the town halls!

Seriously though, a good way would be to open it up to season ticket holders first, and then general public subject to availability of seats. Nothing would be sadder than a town hall that nobody shows up to (that's a crack at our dwindling season ticket numbers btw)

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I heard the same....looks like there are only a few members here that can attend, not many STH on this board, sorry public(Melnykout) supporters....seems like you will not be allowed in :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised about these town halls being called, and at first blush, I'd say nothing will come of them, but that's what I thought about this billboard campaign too so who knows.

I'm not sure either, but sometimes feeling like you have a forum to share concerns, and that management and ownership will actually be present to listen is a step in the right direction. Say one thing, it looks like the team is focused on the fan's concerns right now.

They will likely keep it to STH's and maybe package holders (past year, not next just season) as well I would hope, as allowing anyone could lead to an ugly situation and sidetrack what could be a positive process. The team doesn't have a responsibility to people who don't buy tickets, while at the same time, when people are putting their money where their mouth is, it's nice at least to see the team trying to find ways to respond.

Something tells me they will be well attended, and no one wants to waste their time on this I would assume.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember a few years back, when Torts was coaching in Vancouver, they had some sort of annual summer interview and meet & greet in the arena for the season ticket holders. It was broadcast on the Canucks official page. Damned thing was well over an hour in length, and had all the bigwigs (including coaches) talking about their plans, team direction, and all that stuff. I was quite impressed with the dialog and just how much they were giving to the fans in Vancouver.

It really seems like a nice thing for all teams to give to fans.

Here's a sample of their 2014 "summer summit":

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Trying to stem the tidal wave of STH's not renewing makes sense on some levels. Pretending like this meeting will be free from tough questions ignores the fact that many #Melnykout supporters or sympathizers are STH's.

More importantly, the Sens season ticket base is too small to start with, so the town hall should be held for anyone who wants to attend as a means to address concerns and win NEW ticket sales. They should invite the spokesperson for #MELNYKOUT and deal with his points. He's articulate and would be able to make the Sens brass accountable without it turning into a circus.

Who knows, they might even sell some tickets in the process and holding Eugene's feet to the fire might get some concessions that help the team be more competitive.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I wouldn't give yourselves too much credit, he could not care less for the minority, and this minority who probably was never or never will be a season ticket holder. All this is happening because of his lack of revenues, and his big mouth.

Yeah it's the season ticket holders that aren't buying the 300 seat level tickets that have caused the tarps to be there. Denial at it's finest level here, it's quite amazing.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
I'll be at the Melnyk townhall 100%

Team went from being a joke to juggernaut thanks to great scouting. It's back to being a joke now no thanks to having a paper thin front office. The marketing is awful, they are not investing in modern techniques to assess players etc.

Most NHL owners run a business; sports teams are run as loss leaders in many cases and the owners can sustain themselves with their actual core business while watching their team's value grow by hundreds of millions. What exact business does Melnyk run? It seems that the sens are his core business.

Reactions: BondraTime

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I received that survey that the Sens sent out but it was mostly if not entirely about the arena upgrades & what you like or dislike about the arena, the music, the sound system, the concessions, the washrooms, the entertainment between periods, even the anthem singer & the Chiclets. There was next to nothing on that survey regarding the players, the product on the ice or little to do with the hockey operations.

The conference call was interesting & they were able to answer more hockey related questions but it could also be that they have all along intended to try at least to re-sign Karlsson, Stone & Duchene however, that could depend on what the offer is & whether the player thinks it's enough. Stone IMO is a no brainer & should be re-signed, Duchene may weight his options but I think he re-signs & it was really only Karlsson to me anyway that could have gone either way & still could. One could argue that they low balled Turris purposely because they had every intention of moving him for Duchene. Who knows, really? We'll see. But they have had conference calls with the STH before if I recall correctly & I've filled out these kinds of surveys almost every yr.

The town hall should be interesting but again I've attended STH meetings with the GM & owner in the past, this seems like a similar thing. STH are able to ask the GM & owner questions regarding the hockey operations & direction of the team. Should be interesting if someone gets up & asks EM to sell the team. :laugh: And he says NO. Now what? Can you at least put more money into the hockey operations & team salary? NO, but why don't you crowd fund that, give me the money & I'll put it into the hockey operations, maybe. I'm gonna need about $10 to $20 million, can you raise that? Fan - NO. :help:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Some of you STH and package holders better show up with pitchforks or a torch or two or it's not a town hall meeting.

I hope hard questions are asked, I just hope it stays civil so that we can actually get some answers and generate a discussion. If folks go in with open minds it could be pretty interesting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The questions I want answered really aren't answerable at this time, and nothing wrong about that because it's not something that should be explicitly answered. I just hope they themselves know what is going on and the routes they will be taking.

Nothing will be said about Karlsson other than we will offer him a contract. Fine

Nothing will be answered about coaching other than we will assess during the offseason. Fine

I'd like an answer about what we have been giving up in trades and what we have been doing with signings/lack thereof. Again, this is something I know won't/can't be answered.

One thing they really, really need to provide is the plan moving forward. None of this vague lip service.

Saying we are looking to move towards drafting, scouting and development is the definition of lip service. That's how every team should be run from the base anyways...one thing they could talk about is not giving away picks like they have been. We are missing 2 1sts, 3 2nds, and 3 3rds in the time from of 2016-2019. That's horrendous. It needs to be touched on.

This team, with some shrewd moves in June-July, could have a big bounce back year. I am not really optimistic we can get to that point however.

I still am curious why we never moved Smith for anything. We had offers, but they never reached what Dorion wanted. Smith could go for futures and would be addition by subtraction. And I know I'm armchair GMing points like this, but it seems so obvious to me.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm not sure Smith was a hot commodity at the deadline, he's not exactly known as play-off warrior, or scorer. I have a feeling that there will be more and better offers around draft time when the whole league is engaged.

In the STH conference call PD did say there was a solid plan going forward and that it involved winning/competing now and in the future or something to that effect. He directly mentioned that he didn't want to tip his hand at this point so as not to give other teams a leg up, but that changes were definitely coming as he was not happy with the season. I think that's fair, there's not much more he can say. The scouting developing was not lip service, it was directly dealing with the thin front office stuff saying we would be hiring more scouts. We obviously could use more people elsewhere, but his point wasn't the same run of the mill, it was pretty specific towards something we were definitely doing.

We really do have to be patient to see what the off season will hold for us. It should be very big, and like you I think we can have a big bounce back year with a great prospect in hand from this year. That's the hope, and I have to think that PD and the team can see this is a very good possibility if they play their cards even close to right.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don’t get how being part of the #Melnykout group doesn’t make you a fan? I’m 100% in the Melnyk out camp. Been a season ticket holder for a few years (but will not be renewing, partly due to not agreeing with Melnyk’s direction, and partly because my season ticket partner has other financial commitments), bought outdoor game tickets, 300$ karlsson jersey. All on a sub 40k salary. It’s tight but I love my
Sens. But because I’m all for #Melnykout, I’m not a “real” fan? Come on.

I think you can be part of this movement and still be a fan. You can be angry at the team, the direction, the results, etc...and still support the team by going to games that fit your budget. If you can't afford it, not you per we but to anyone in general, that is just how it is.

I'm not happy at all with many things but I will go through thick and thin. My heart is in it and could not willingly stay away. But that is just me and understand everyone has a different level of commitment.

Tough times call for circling the wagons as well as calling out for change. Not easy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Renew your tickets or you can't come to the town halls!

Seriously though, a good way would be to open it up to season ticket holders first, and then general public subject to availability of seats. Nothing would be sadder than a town hall that nobody shows up to (that's a crack at our dwindling season ticket numbers btw)

Why open it to the general public? People shelling out thousands will pack the place.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not sure Smith was a hot commodity at the deadline, he's not exactly known as play-off warrior, or scorer. I have a feeling that there will be more and better offers around draft time when the whole league is engaged.
Nah. Smith won't be worth anything to other teams in the off season. If anyone wants a Smith, they'll just sign one in free agency for a fraction of the cost. Only way to move someone like Smith is to swindell another team in 'win now mode' near the trade deadline. We're stuck with him unless we retain or compensate another team for relief.

We really need a manager who doesn't commit multi year deals to 7th D men, 4th liners and back up goalies. It's really holding the team back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why open it to the general public? People shelling out thousands will pack the place.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Season ticket holders get priority, my suggestion was if there's space, open it up. Not sure how many spots there are (how big is the event, and how many STH would go to each one), and there's always the possility they may want feedback from potential future customers not just current ones. There are tons of passionate sens fans that don't buy season tickets out there. Some spend more than enough on the team to equal a 10 game pack or more, so it might be worthwhile understanding what it would take to convert those fans into season ticket holders.

At the end of the day, this townhall is more than just a forum for current clients to voice their concerns, questions ect, it's also a focus group the team can try to exploit for valuable data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->