TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The #Melnykout billboards were a step in the right direction and that was just at the rumour of a Karlsson trade.

I don't think it will be impossible to get some local bar viewing party protests off the ground.
There is a MASSIVE difference between sending 5 bucks with a few clicks of a mouse, and physically showing up to an event.

HOWEVER.

A viewing party "for the cause" at a bar is not a terrible idea. Proceeds to EK's charity even...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The team has a projected cap hit of $73.46 million. How do we get from there to $48.8 million ($10 million under the floor)?
Doesn't seem too difficult. About 9M savings from MacArthur and Gaborik. 6.5M savings from dealing Karlsson. A Duchene or Stone trade gets you there.

Give some other team prospects/picks to take Smith or Condon is another conceivable way to inch there. Send down extra bodies like Wolanin. Wouldn't be hard.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
And in those trades we don't get a single player with salary back? Not even a guy with an ELC?
I just heard Eugene Melnyk say that the team is rebuilding and to expect up to 16 rookies on the team by next season so, I'd only expect guys on ELCs or 2nd contracts to come back if they were going to be playing in Ottawa right away and the rest will be pure futures. So a big savings on any deal for Karlsson, Duchene or Stone.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't get how they think fans will get behind this rebuild. It obviously is only motivated by money, we aren't in a position that needs rebuilding. Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene are the kind of players you hope to develop in a rebuild. If we were committed to winning they would all be signed long term and we'd be focused on adding around them and making the playoffs. I find it hard to get excited for a rebuild when we're about to lose our three best players and are destined to finish in the basement without a first round pick to make up for it. Has any team ever lost their three best players like this in one season?
Melnyk is still reading the outdated snake oil salesman guide. He doesn’t realize the internet exists and people can see through his bullshit.

Reactions: Smeddy and Sensung

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
There will be a new area called the "Coke Zone". With the new laws coming in Oct, a "Bud Zone" may all be good too.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

So let me get this straight, they bring the media in to try to show everyone what their plan is, and when asked about Karlsson, they refuse to give any concrete info.

They are really much dumber than I thought.

Edit: Without having read any other takes on this whole Dorion plan thing, I can say that it sounds about as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard. He's completely lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand0m

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So let me get this straight, they bring the media in to try to show everyone what their plan is, and when asked about Karlsson, they refuse to give any concrete info.

They are really much dumber than I thought.

Edit: Without having read any other takes on this whole Dorion plan thing, I can say that it sounds about as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard. He's completely lost.

Hoffman was liquidated, PD was in a tough situation. What irked me about that was PD seemed to have known early Spring about this, don't know why he didn't attempt to move Hoffman before shit hit the fan with the Shaamini article.

With Karlsson, it appears that PD is willing to wait until either he gets the best value on a trade, or perhaps something changes internally to give them the finances to re-sign the captain as they should.

The ideal rebuild will be centred around veteran Big3+Dzingel signed and leading the rooks, with garbage contracts out (Ryan, Smith, Ceci, Anderson, et. al.). That way they can become competitive sooner and just in time for any Lebreton buzz.

Reactions: Rand0m

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hoffman was liquidated, PD was in a tough situation. What irked me about that was PD seemed to have known early Spring about this, don't know why he didn't attempt to move Hoffman before **** hit the fan with the Shaamini article.

With Karlsson, it appears that PD is willing to wait until either he gets the best value on a trade, or perhaps something changes internally to give them the finances to re-sign the captain as they should.

The ideal rebuild will be centred around veteran Big3+Dzingel signed and leading the rooks, with garbage contracts out (Ryan, Smith, Ceci, Anderson, et. al.). That way they can become competitive sooner and just in time for any Lebreton buzz.

You've just made more sense than anything that's come out of our management's mouth.

They. Don't. Know. What. They're. Doing.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why rebuild when you have some of the pieces to be competitive soon. Why not add to those pieces over 2 years and be competitive in a shorter window. The goal of this team is not to win. This is just a thing.. a toy .. its not about winning. Think about it .. make a plan to win the Stanley cup from here. Is it with your 4-6 top players say Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot, Pageau, Dzingel and start a retool to move out dead weight and play your better prospects and retool in a 2-3 year window to compete and contend. The direction of this team is not about winning. Why make the deal for Duchene, why make that deal for Hoffman that direction is different than the current "messaged" one.

I think the problem is the constant changing of directions over the last 5-10 years. We have some nice pieces...but all the pieces belong to different puzzles, so to speak. The team is such a mish-mash of different styles, strengths and weaknesses...they really don't gel very well when trying to play any specific style. It's like hooking up a pinto, a clydesdale, a quarter horse and a hackney together and having them try and pull a wagon...it just doesn't work.

They need to sit down, and decide what type of team they want to build. Then, move anyone who doesn't fit that vision. Then get both Belleville and Ottawa working together to implement that vision, and draft kids who fit. It'll take several years, but it would be worth it....as long as they stick with the damned plan for once, and actually pay the kids once they deserve the big contracts.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the problem is the constant changing of directions over the last 5-10 years. We have some nice pieces...but all the pieces belong to different puzzles, so to speak. The team is such a mish-mash of different styles, strengths and weaknesses...they really don't gel very well when trying to play any specific style. It's like hooking up a pinto, a clydesdale, a quarter horse and a hackney together and having them try and pull a wagon...it just doesn't work.

They need to sit down, and decide what type of team they want to build. Then, move anyone who doesn't fit that vision. Then get both Belleville and Ottawa working together to implement that vision, and draft kids who fit. It'll take several years, but it would be worth it....as long as they stick with the damned plan for once, and actually pay the kids once they deserve the big contracts.

You are hired.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Agreed.

This is the most infuriating part. Either they are stupid or they think we are stupid...likely both.

Showing what the roster might look like in two weeks is not a plan, it's the opening night game sheet.

(Sorry Nac Mac Feegle, i'm stealing your concept) A plan is starting with the stanley cup and moving backwards:

- In 5 years we believe the state of the game is going to be X
- Therefore we need players with attributes X, and coaching that believes in X
- Does our coaching, scouting, development staff believe in X
- What is the player core that we need for strategy X (5-7 core players)
- Can we afford the player budget that the cup window roster will cost? Or is the plan contingent on ELC, contracts with high cap hit/low actual salary, etc - how will this impact the size of the cup window we might have and how does this impact long-term contract planning for the current roster.
- Of our current roster, who will be able to fill what role over the next 3-5 years that fits with our strategy of X
- What major pieces are missing from the strategy X core that need to be filled through draft/trade
- Do we have the trade pieces to get the remaining core through trade or do we need to wait on the draft, are they all signed long-term and happy with strategy X
- With core established, who will fill the other roles and what redundancy do we have (pipeline, backup goalies, draft picks, etc)

* Okay, now we have a detailed plan to get from year one to the cup, and it is all aligned to X. Let's announce X to the fans and have all the key stakeholders, (owner, GM, Coach, Captain) involved to show they are all committed to X. By doing this and following it up with actions that are aligned to strategy X, we will establish enough trust/faith with the fanbase that they are less focused with the opening night roster and more focused on hope for the future. Here is the draft statement:

"We are going to be built for the future playoffs. We don't have the largest budget therefore we need to run with a younger team that is still affordable. We will make up for the lack of experience/puck possession by building a young (healthy) and fast team, with strong "playoff ready" defensive structure, relying on counter-strike opportunities and special teams to score. The system will require solid two way centres, fast scoring wingers, big puck-winning defence with strong outlet passing, and above-average goal tending to stop above average volume of shots."

"As you can see from our draft record, we have focused on prospects with speed, scoring touch, and defensive awareness, who thrive in structure and are happy to play in a small-Canadian market. Our coach in Belleville is aligned with this philosophy and coach Boucher is developing systems to bring our strategy to life."

"Under this philosophy we will once again bend but not break, be the resilient underdogs...be pesky."

----------------------------------

This is where I thought the team was at when PD took over and hired Boucher. Identify a style of play, identify a core, build-up within the budget.

Today we don't know if Boucher style of play is still the strategy, we might not have a core, and we might be trying to build up or tear it down.

But at least we have the opening night game sheet....maybe

EDIT:

PD did offer this in the latest meet n greet. “We will rebuild by trading for younger, faster, stronger players who commit to our team-first philosophy, play with discipline and earn the freedom to take risks that help the team,”

Still not good enough because it really doesn't allude to the style of play much. Any GM in the league could make this statement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad