Melnyk rips Cooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
I like how at the end he clearly states we can definitely make moves and money is the easy part... Could we see a big long-term splash?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Love Melnyk. Its nice having an owner that thinks of the team as more than profit.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I like what I'm hearing, but I wish he wouldn't do this. Going after the league and their golden franchise will not end well. Its not right that that's the way it is, but expect Ottawa to get boned even harder by the league over the coming weeks and possibly years.

Sens will be killing LOTS of penalties tomorrow night, mark my words.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like what I'm hearing, but I wish he wouldn't do this. Going after the league and their golden franchise will not end well. Its not right that that's the way it is, but expect Ottawa to get boned even harder by the league over the coming weeks and possibly years.

Sens will be killing LOTS of penalties tomorrow night, mark my words.

While I don't blame him, I don't like it either when Melnyk spews off, it comes across as whining. The TO sports media always seems to make fun of it & it just never seems to go well when he does. I'm guessing the incident & the owners rant will be all the talk tommorrow on TV though.

Reactions: bert
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Melnyk is more a fan then owner. He lives and breathes the Sens. Love his passion but wish he'd consider the outcome before he speaks. Like FQL said, we're already on the refs bad side. This wont help what so ever.

I do get where he's coming from though, obviously.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
The league wanted to bury the issue QUICKLY to keep the momentum going after the lockout. Melnyk is just letting the NHL known that his team comes first and he's not going to put up with it.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The league wanted to bury the issue QUICKLY to keep the momentum going after the lockout. Melnyk is just letting the NHL known that his team comes first and he's not going to put up with it.

Yeah, I agree. I love his passion, we can't worry about how the Toronto media will respond, who cares, get your point out there.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I'd like to put my rival goggles aside for a second; as a fan of a team that is being demolished with injuries; I feel for you guys. It's always worse when it is a young player; especially one with so much promise.

That son of a ***** absolutely did that intentionally; you don't accidentally raise your leg that high and stomp it diagonally towards a guys leg. That was completely gutless; from a player who should have been booted from the league years ago.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tortorella called the NHL out for its favoritism towards the Penguins last year--wondering out loud what would happen if a player(s) on his team were to throw knee on knee hits (Orpik on Stepan) at its two whining stars (maybe not an exact quote but pretty close)--all it got him was to be censured by the league and fined $20K. Orpik got to walk away scot free and pretty much the fine only added insult to injury. I suspect that this will be the most likely outcome here as well.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
I think that game in April will be interesting to watch, especially depending on playoff situations at that late stage in the game.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I love Melnyk. I hate the standard p.c. comments everyone has to give now a days and dont care who he rips.

Its refreshing to hear someone in the league say what they actually think for once.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
The league is only worried about MONEY and they don't really care about anything else.
So a star player is injured... BURY it as far far far as you can from any publicity.
Especially now after the lockout.
DAM BILLIONAIRES>

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Good for him!!

I honestly don't know for the life of me why there is not more speculation as to whether there was intent or not?? How is it that every so called "expert" commentator thinks the same and nobody is questioning Cooke's actions whatsoever?? It is not that clear cut......honestly, no pun untended.

The guy made his own bed, and should be questioned everytime he is involved in a play that he causes injury.

Sorry, that is not an everyday hockey play the wat he tried "pinning" him. If it was, there would be an injury like this every second night. Knee comes up, knee goes down.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I don't think it was intention to injure but still think he intended to stomp at Karlsson's skate to get him off balance. It was definitely unnecessary and he should have been disciplined for being reckless.

Love that Melnyk speaks his mind but most times he speaks as a fan and not an owner. He owns the Sens because he is a fan so I won't hate on him because his comments may be unprofessional at times.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
There was no intent to injure vs Savard. There was no intent to injur vs Tyutin. There was no intent to injure vs McDonaugh. THere was no intent to injure vs Lecavlier. I really wish everyone would pull the wool from over their eyes.

KingCrosby*

Sorry but Cooke plays on the edge.. Thats his game and the NHL shouldnt take that away from him.. If they do that then they might as well suspend Crosby for scoring or Anderson for making saves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->