Melnyk: Let the players vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
gerbilanium said:
I thought the Senators did not want a salary cap since they are rolling with the big boys now.
How are they rolling with the big boys? It may be an excellent hockey market, but it's not a big market by any stretch.

Wiping out the debt they carried and having a billionaire sweep in to reap the rewards is by no means an indication that they're about to turn into the Leafs or Rangers. And why would they? Ottawa fans want to see the Sens win the Cup.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
HF2002 said:
How are they rolling with the big boys? It may be an excellent hockey market, but it's not a big market by any stretch.

Wiping out the debt they carried and having a billionaire sweep in to reap the rewards is by no means an indication that they're about to turn into the Leafs or Rangers. And why would they? Ottawa fans want to see the Sens win the Cup.
well said

Lanny MacDonald*

HF2002 said:

I think that was veiled shot at some of the Senators fans here that are acting like they are a big market team with an endless supply of cash at their disposal now that Melnyk is aboard. The cold harsh reality is that Melnyk will not spend more than he has on the team and that those Senator fans that think no cap will help keep the team together are a little offside. A cap is the only thing that will save the Senators and give them a shot at the Stanley Cup. Eugene Melnyk has essentially said so himself.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
How about the owner's vote. Away from Bettman and all other pressure from the board to be "united", why don't the owner's organize a way to try and surpase the 22 votes needed. I am sure that 2/3 of owner's would not mind playing under a system that does not involve linkage and a hard cap. These players are in a vulnerable position and some would be willing to play for 300k/year at this point. Some of these billionair owner's are just trying to make of these investments that Bettman promised them for buying franchises seasons ago when the league was going under. I am sure the majority of owner's want to start playing under a tax or soft cap. This vote will also prove that this lockout is only for 8 teams at this point, those of which may not survive under anything but a cap. Well it's time for everyone to wake up and realize that 6 or 7 of those 8 teams should not even be in existance. I'm sorry because I'm sure there are Carolina fans, and Florida fans (maybe) and Anaheim fans out there, but right now we are all frustrated at you because we know this lockout since December, has been because of you and it's flat out RIDICULOUS.

What is the percentage of owners' votes necessary to fire Bettman? You know he has at least enough votes to avoid being shown the door, and it has to be more than 8. At least a majority.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Kokopeli said:
I think that was veiled shot at some of the Senators fans here that are acting like they are a big market team with an endless supply of cash at their disposal now that Melnyk is aboard. The cold harsh reality is that Melnyk will not spend more than he has on the team and that those Senator fans that think no cap will help keep the team together are a little offside. A cap is the only thing that will save the Senators and give them a shot at the Stanley Cup. Eugene Melnyk has essentially said so himself.
It's easy enough for some fans of the Sens to think that the Sens are going to spend, spend, spend. The trade deadline in the last few years has seen the Sens trade prospects for veteran players. While not allstar players these days, Ottawa did upgrade in trading for Smolinski, trading for Bondra, picking up de Vries and his salary, and then subsequently signing Hasek after the loss to the Leafs.

Melnyk has changed the team, but he's only brought them to where a team that is so close to the Cup ought to be. Bryden could never have done that. But I agree, Melnyk isn't going to throw his money away.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Greschner4 said:
You are confused and you show it with almost every one of your posts.

Most of my posts are questions. I'm prepared to be enlightened by those with an ironclad grasp of the subject matter such as yourself.

For instance, please explain to me how the player reps were not in fact voted in by the players and aren't acting on their mandate.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wazee said:
What the players need to vote on is if they accept a salary cap or not. If the answer is 'NO CAP, EVER', then there is no point in talking at this time. If the answer is 'YES, WE WILL PLAY UNDER A CAP', the rest can be negotiated. The players do not need a full proposal to conduct a vote on one the single concept that is holding up a settlement.

The question can't just be, "Will we play under a cap" ... it's all about the numbers and how it would be implemented.

The players would sign right now for a Hard cap of $60 million ... or 65%. Just like the owners would sign for a luxury tax proposal that was

$30 million -- 100%
$35 million -- 150%
$40 million -- 200%

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
The question can't just be, "Will we play under a cap" ... it's all about the numbers and how it would be implemented.

The players would sign right now for a Hard cap of $60 million ... or 65%. Just like the owners would sign for a luxury tax proposal that was

$30 million -- 100%
$35 million -- 150%
$40 million -- 200%

Maybe, maybe not.

I see no reason to believe the players would sign on to a hard cap of ANYTHING. ($60M would cause at least 4 teams to cut payroll, so why that number?). From day one they've said they won't and they've acted as if they won't. They wouldn't even negotiate off the "trigger" idea because it MIGHT lead to a cap ... what more do you need to know?

The only possible reason to believe that they would is the echo chamber of the internet, 24-hour sports talk radio, and message boards that give an unreasonable feel of new proposals, secret meetings, and changed philosophies bubbling up just under the surface ... and the pressure on newspapers to publish the things in those new media that SEEM reasonable. One bogus rumor starts and spreads like wildfire.

I posted about a month ago when the Linden talks got going, the same thing and I still don't see any real evidence that the players will accept a cap.

We're all proficient to a degree at new media, and we follow the stories closely, but to people who read only reputable daily newspapers and not the echo chamber, the story is simple and it hasn't changed: The owners want a salary cap, the players aren't going to take one. They tried changing the negotiators, they tried US mediators, they tried trial balloons through reporters, but nothing changed these irreconcilable positions.

Wish it weren't that way, but it is.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Other Dave said:
Some Sens fans don't want a cap because they fear that a cap will force the Sens to break up their young core.

Precisely. And its not really selfish, I want ANY team, in ANY market, to have the ab ility to build an elite organization if the team development and roster stability remains... I dont give a **** if its in Raleigh or Los Angeles. Any team that does it right should be rewarded. And that team's fan base as well. Lets face it, one winner outta 30 aint pretty, but I would rather my team position itself as best as possible to win than to luck out once every 25 years for a championship. That is cheap, and crappy.

I think the "Americanization" of the NHL is behind this desire to rid the league of elite teams... the US fanbase for the most part is not patient enough (or perceived that way) to undergo a rebuilding process.

Its unfortunate how shortsighted the masses are though. Those years of pain are worth it if you become elite. Ottawa has done it, Tampa, Detroit, Denver... I dont see how the system is unfair.

Everyone points to Tampa and Ottawa as exceptions, but when you actually LOOK how the other teams have been built, like New Jersey and Colorado, there is a common theme throughout the successful teams, at least consistently competitve ones: They DRAFT AND TRADE WELL!

Why should the Sens lose Redden and Havlat and Phillips because they are too good at what they do? How stupid is that?

Damn the majority.

YellHockey*

Kokopeli said:

“I have said since the first day I bought the
Senators that I will do whatever it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to
Ottawa." - Eugene Melnyk, June 2004

Was he telling the truth then? If so, why should he care about the system. All he cares about is the Cup regardless of cost.

If he wasn't telling the truth then, why should we believe him now since he's clearly willing to lie to push forward his agenda.

How is holding out for a Cap doing everything to bring the Cup to Ottawa? You can't bring the Cup to Ottawa if no one's playing for it.

And considering the Senators were favourites to win the Cup last season WITHOUT A CAP, saying that a cap is the only thing that will give them a chance at the Cup is an idiotic statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad