Meeting Day Thread: 6/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Are they meeting again or is it not over yet? No response yet?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
So, will the NHL and/or NHLPA give any indication that they've 'cracked the nut', or will they just continue with their stereotypical "good meeting, some progress, cautious optimism" press releases?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Still meeting probably. Usually we hear pretty quickly when the meeting is done. Based on the comments of yesterday, we should be hearing at least an official blurb from the pa and nhl tonight.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
blitzkriegs said:
FYI - about 80% of Sens player have zero leverage because of their age and most of the acquired players had existing contracts from other teams.

Obviously, due to the Sens consistent financial woes they were forced to retain players w/zero leverage and not spend in the UFA market or trade for high priced FA's. B/c the Sens never had extra money they were never enticed to overspend like a lot of other teams.

Good management? Yes. Forced Circumstances? Yes.

Dont most players on most teams have 0 leverage because of their age? minus a couple teams. The UFA market yes they couldnt do anything in that market cause of financial woes and adding a piece to the puzzle through UFA is big for a lot of teams, something the Sens could not do. Dont a lot of teams also trade for players with existing contracts who aren't going to be UFA's as well? My point being is that some teams are under the same circumstances who didn't field nearly as good on ice teams, and some teams had no financial woes who fielded awful teams. What I'm saying under the Sens circumstances they did an excellent job.

ResidentAlien*

I heard the tail end of something on Van radio this afternoon, that the current GM of the Orlando Magic has accepted an offer to be the GM of an undisclosed NHL Team. The hosts were speculating that it was either Chicago or Boston ( not the ducks ) that was the team.
I apologize for not having a link or better details...but maybe someone else heard it,
they were speculating on why would someone in that position quit their job to go to another

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Got the FAN 590 Top of the hour News Update on. Their talking about Owen Nolan's salary, how it may not go with a salary cap, but he'd be willing to lower it, and he wants to stay with the leafs. They also said that their meeting. That's all guys. :)

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
ResidentAlien said:
I heard the tail end of something on Van radio this afternoon, that the current GM of the Orlando Magic has accepted an offer to be the GM of an undisclosed NHL Team. The hosts were speculating that it was either Chicago or Boston ( not the ducks ) that was the team.
I apologize for not having a link or better details...but maybe someone else heard it,
they were speculating on why would someone in that position quit their job to go to another

On sportsnet.ca they seem to be implying he took the job as GM of the Ducks. It's in the hearsay part.

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
Leafer4Life said:
Got the FAN 590 Top of the hour News Update on. Their talking about Owen Nolan's salary, how it may not go with a salary cap, but he'd be willing to lower it, and he wants to stay with the leafs. They also said that their meeting. That's all guys. :)

Thanks for the update, but a question: why would you want an underachieving player on your team who will just take up cap room?

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DevilsFan said:
Thanks for the update, but a question: why would you want an underachieving player on your team who will just take up cap room?

It's the Leafs. Need I say more?

I will: TOR likes to spend money on old guys.

Club301

Mar 11, 2002
FL
Visit site
Flyguy_1ca said:
On sportsnet.ca they seem to be implying he took the job as GM of the Ducks. It's in the hearsay part.

When the Magic GM quit, he said it was because hockey was his first love, and he would trade 3 NBA titles (if he had them) for one Stanley Cup.

Local paper in Orlando reports he's taken the GM job with an NHL team, but the team won't announce it til a deal's done.

Weisbrod headed for unknown GM post in NHL

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
DevilsFan said:

I didn't say that I myself wanted him on the team, just that HE wanted to stay with the leafs. However I do like him, he's a good player, I don't consider him an underachiever. He was injured quite a bit last season, which is why he didn't play up to his potential........

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Pepper said:
Not true, small markets were always going to be handicapped no matter how well they were run. Fact is that on average large market teams always did better than small market teams and no matter how well your team is run, your market remains about the same size. Rangers were a poorly run ship for the last 6 years of the previous CBA, yet they still got enough money to have the highest payroll of the league. San Jose which was ran by excellent GM (Lombardi) still couldn't manage to have a above-average budget.

So the cause & effect theory works very marginally here.

As this is really off-topic to this thread and with the risk repetition from last fall, I try to make it breaf. With the way NHL is run now (playoffs), there's always the question of definition of success (only a few teams/players can be succesful compared to others) and I think most people believe success should be rewarded, including financially.

I don't understand your position that size of a budget is a goal in itself, the players are more important to success rather than what they are paid, but if they are succesful under the facilities a franchise can provide them with, I believe they should be rewarded.

Since NHL can do little about the demographics of USA/Canada, the market size is pretty much out of their control. Although I agree to a point with you, that money can cover up a team's failures (or at least to repeat them a'la Rangers year after year), but this is made too big an issue. I have yet to see a person to come up with "an alternative NHL" for the past 10 years or so (even in hindsight), which players should have played where at each particular time, so that every player would have been paid relative to their abilities and all teams would have been happy (even those who missed the playoffs). Edmonton might have some points here, but is the Canadian dollar fundamentally a hockey issue? Cause-effect works really everywhere, there might only be more variables in each case.

IMO, the role of the management seems to me to be generally overvalued on these boards, no matter how good they are, with crappy players or with crappy market place they can do only so much.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Leafer4Life said:
I believe I was the one being asked the question, NOT you. QUIT WITH THE LEAF BASHING!!!!!!!! :rant: :madfire: Anyway, Owen Nolan is 33, that's hardly old, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Nolan at 33 is old. He is in the last stage of his career. And with the power forward game he has played, the mile-age is up there which is why he has had to miss many games last season.

Also, one year of inactivity won't help him while the younger players got another season of progression under their belt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Club301 said:
When the Magic GM quit, he said it was because hockey was his first love, and he would trade 3 NBA titles (if he had them) for one Stanley Cup.

Local paper in Orlando reports he's taken the GM job with an NHL team, but the team won't announce it til a deal's done.

Weisbrod headed for unknown GM post in NHL

the ducks gm post is ther only one open, no?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Macho Man said:
Nolan at 33 is old. He is in the last stage of his career. And with the power forward game he has played, the mile-age is up there which is why he has had to miss many games last season.

Also, one year of inactivity won't help him while the younger players got another season of progression under their belt.

33 is old? Since when? Here are a few "old" players who will turn 33 by the end of this year (if they haven't already):

Zigmund Palffy
Roman Hamrlik
Alexei Yashin
Mike Rathje...

Just look at the 1992 draft and before. You'll find many 33 year-OLD players who are contributing just fine.

But all these damn old dogs... we should just take them to the back yard now and shoot them! They're on their last legs!

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
King'sPawn said:
33 is old? Since when? Here are a few "old" players who will turn 33 by the end of this year (if they haven't already):

Zigmund Palffy
Roman Hamrlik
Alexei Yashin
Mike Rathje...

Just look at the 1992 draft and before. You'll find many 33 year-OLD players who are contributing just fine.

But all these damn old dogs... we should just take them to the back yard now and shoot them! They're on their last legs!
None of those players play(ed) the reckless powerforward style of Nolan circa his Shark days. Powerforwards age much quicker than other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->