Media is to blame just as much as Michel Therrien / Marc Bergevin

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
1. Creating undue pressures on our players.
2. Anointing every new young player as the next "Sauveur".
3. Scaring away potential free agents because of point 1.
4. Failing to adequately criticize coaching staff born and raised locally.
5. Failing to adequately criticize players born and raised locally.
6. Inflating the value of all Habs related players, prospects, staff in terms of trade value.
7. Hyper criticism of all non-locally born players including how they walk, talk, eat, socialize, breathe air, etc.
8. Basically demanding all coaches must be native french speakers, thus forcing us to chose from coaches we've fired previously. (see Michel Therrien).

Discuss.

Capitaine Subban*

The medias are irrelevant , the players need to step up.

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
Yeah let's blame the media instead of the people who have a direct impact on the team.

The staff and players are paid handsomely and part of the reason why they are is to deal with the pressures of playing the game. This includes media.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
6. Inflating the value of all Habs related players, prospects, staff in terms of trade value.
7. Hyper criticism of all non-locally born players including how they walk, talk, eat, socialize, breathe air, etc.
8. Basically demanding all coaches must be native french speakers, thus forcing us to chose from coaches we've fired previously. (see Michel Therrien).

Discuss.

1. Not worst than quite a few cities.
2. A bit.
3. See point 1 + there would be pressure regardless.
4. Meh, I think more should've been said about the fact that many hirees were hired mostly through relations.
5. Least guilty point as far as I'm concerned. Desharnais and Mitchell are playing, well, mostly like they should be playing.
6. The media know them?
7. Not really. Ribeiro got a lot of criticism. Theodore too (and that was frankly unjustified). Desharnais/Mitchell don't seem to have the same behaviour/frequentations.
8. Not touching this one with a 10-foot pole.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No, the media are not to blame.

Ethics in sports journalism or video game journalism are not issues.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
All large markets have this problem. Montreal been using as an excuse like they're the only ones is a joke.

You forgot to to mention Quebec taxes to the pretend reasons why the Canadiens insist on swimming in average.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
All large markets have this problem. Montreal been using as an excuse like they're the only ones is a joke.

You forgot to to mention Quebec taxes to the pretend reasons why the Canadiens insist on swimming in average.

True but all large markets have multiple major league sports teams

Montreal only has hockey

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Funny, i watch soccer and football all summer long, here..

But no NFL / MLB / NBA, unlike the other big NHL markets. I just mean, in Montreal it's focused on hockey. Please tell me how many pages in print today in the Journal de Montreal were about the Habs ? Like 5 pages? 10? No team travels with as large a media entourage either which is another point to consider.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
IDK, I feel that the media has been hustling out there, creating a lot of offensive chances and doing well to alleviate D-zone pressure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Stupid question alert!!!! Martin McGuire...."Is it reassuring".....********..stop the guy!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Discuss.

I think fans are more guilty than media. Look at how we talk about rookies. Look at how we put expectations on players. Look at how we criticize everything.

As for the French issue. Let's be honest, RDS and company might spew the ******** but if people can't have their own opinion they are far more guilty. As the phrase goes: if I jumped off off a bridge, do you do it too?

Also, I believe half habs board is native French speakers. 99% of us want best coach/player available. Why? We can think for ourselves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The media have been as nice as they can possibly be actually.
They haven't been nearly as critical as you can imagine them to be and that's mostly because Therrien-Bergevin established a rapport with them early on, which was a terrific move by them to be honest. Just wished reporters would actually do their jobs and ask the questions everyone has on their minds.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

Discuss.

What the hell... No.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Well I am from SW Ontario. And the things some of the people from montreal have an opinion on is COMPLETELY different than most of the people I know down here(yes there are a lot of habfans)

I do think the media has an influence on peoples opinions, maybe the players too, but certainly the fans.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well I am from SW Ontario. And the things some of the people from montreal have an opinion on is COMPLETELY different than most of the people I know down here(yes there are a lot of habfans)

I do think the media has an influence on peoples opinions, maybe the players too, but certainly the fans.

... Care to elaborate? I'm not challenging you, nor am I being sarcastic. I'm genuinely interested in knowing about those differences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad