News Article: McPhee on LV and the building process

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Here's just a part of the NHL.COM interview by Dan Rosen, much more here

"We're hoping that with every decision we make, with every person we bring in here, someone is going to say, 'These guys mean business,'" McPhee said.

When you can walk away from a game and you've identified a player you really like, you start projecting and start thinking, 'Boy, we hope we can get him.' I think there is going to be a lot of that this year, and it's not for seven players in seven rounds. This is for 30 players. It's actually both. It's 30 players one day, and a couple days later it's another seven players in the entry draft. It's going to be a lot of work."

the way he (Foley) explained the job, saying, 'The manager is going to make the decisions. I want to be involved, but you're the expert and you're going to make the decisions.' Those are the things that appeal to a general manager."

"This is a market and set up of a franchise that is really going to appeal to players. There are 40 million people that visit Vegas every year. We've got 700-plus players in the NHL, of which 80 to 100 are elite players, and maybe less than that, maybe 50 to 60. We only need five or six that want to come to Las Vegas. We only need five or six. We have a fabulous rink. We have a fabulous practice facility coming on line in a great neighborhood. It's easy to get around. It's beautiful weather. There's no state tax. The travel is going to be much easier than it's ever been in the West because we've added another team. And the building is going to be sold out. So why not try to put a team together that can try to make the playoffs in the first year? We're going to be smart. We're not going to do anything silly, do bad deals or anything like that, but can we get a really good, competitive team with some really talented young players right away. Yeah, I think so."

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Was worried at the start of the article where he said he wants to be competitive right away, but the last sentence calmed my nerves where he mentioned good, young players.

Of course I would love the team to make the playoffs year one, but I would rather get some younger guys and grow the team instead of have an old regressing team with a 2-3 year window and virtually no prospect pool.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was worried at the start of the article where he said he wants to be competitive right away, but the last sentence calmed my nerves where he mentioned good, young players.

Of course I would love the team to make the playoffs year one, but I would rather get some younger guys and grow the team instead of have an old regressing team with a 2-3 year window and virtually no prospect pool.

Cough don't draft Dustin Brown cough

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His definition of elite is certainly different than mine.

Elite is being used too casually.....he's talking that tier just below all star level IMO. He's only getting a higher ranked player via trade, expansion dump or draft them, at least year 1 IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Pretty sure he wants a hardworking respectable group of guys, who will play hard every night, but still lose. That's what the rebuilt Caps were. Tough to play against, and slowly hoarding and developing talent. GMGM knows that he needs to score a couple of cornerstone players in his first few draft years, so I don't expect him try try and field a 15/16 playoff seed roster year 1. Young and lightly sprinkled with good veteran leaders.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cough don't draft Dustin Brown cough

Brown will have have about $25 mil over 5 years left then. I would be shocked if McPhee committed to significant term with an older guy. I don't see it. Brown is grossly overpaid, even for LV.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Elite is being used too casually.....he's talking that tier just below all star level IMO. He's only getting a higher ranked player via trade, expansion dump or draft them, at least year 1 IMO.

I figured. For me, elite is like the top 10 players in a given position and that's being generous.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I figured. For me, elite is like the top 10 players in a given position and that's being generous.

You're even more generous than I am. To me elite is the best of the best. I don't think I would bestow that honor on anymore than a dozen(if that) players total, but maybe that's too extreme.

Anyway, McPhee should use the P word cautiously right out of the gate. Don't want to build false hope in a new NHL city. Being it's the only professional game in town I believe he'll have a good deal of time to build a solid foundation and develop it into a contender.
Cherry for coach? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad