McNabb headshot on Kopitar

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Raccoon Jesus, Apr 14, 2018.

1. N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s Registered User

Any threads started on questionable plays should be locked if there’s no hearing by DPS. All these threads do is turn into an unneeded ****show between the fans of both teams.

2. NHLpls

NHLpls Registered User

Anybody who thinks that this is a two min penalty and Doughty's hit was a deserved suspension want to tell me what the difference here was? I think we can all agree that the head was the principal point of contact on both hits.

3. mooncalf

mooncalf Registered User

Doughty's hit took place at a much faster speed, thus creating an imminent risk of harm that is not present to nearly the same degree in the McNabb hit. p = m * v

ConorMcGregor and Anisimovs AK like this.
  4. Jesus Take the Wheel

Jesus Take the Wheel Registered User

Looks like there was minimal contact to the head, two minute interference call yes but nothing more

5. SFKingshomer

SFKingshomer Registered User

happened behind the play and the Kings didn't whine about it or fake injury

Anisimovs AK and Breaux like this.
  6. Moses Doughty

Moses Doughty Registered User

And the fact one was interference and one was on the puck

7. mooncalf

mooncalf Registered User

TBH, I'm kinda torn on the Doughty suspension. On the one hand, I think it was a dangerous hit and he needs to be more careful there. I would like all such hits to be out of the game as much as possible. On the other hand, the suspension seems extremely severe given it is the playoffs and Doughty has no history. Neither does the suspension seem in line with similar hits given in the recent past.

Still, the Doughty hit is in no way comparable to the McNabb hit here. Nobody would even be talking about McNabb if Doughty hadn't been suspended, and it's quite a reach.

Anisimovs AK likes this.
  8. NHLpls

NHLpls Registered User

This is the response I was expecting. You really can't track speed from watching a video tho..

9. Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's exactly my point, though.

We've established within this series that you can't contact the head for any reason, even with the plausible deniability of a hockey play.

Why is it okay for McNabb to go high on Kopitar 5 seconds after the puck is gone in a total non hockey play where the purpose is only to wreck a star's melon?

If we're using the same lens, this deserves a look. If we're not--and it looks like we're not--just highlighting the godawful inconsistency of the DoPS.

Also makes it pretty clear that a lot of people were mad at the other one simply because it was Doughty and the Vegas organization and blogosphere cried to the high heavens about it, since this one is getting dismissed with "LOL come on."

10. hector morrison

hector morrison Registered User

Can't have it both ways!
    Firstly,was there contact with the head? yes.
    2nd was it intentional? yes.
    3rd, did Kopitar have the puck? no.
    Conclusion....suspension! For consistency sake.
    I care for neither team,but if the league is serious, then headshots can't be a judgement call! Other than say, when there is incidental contact that is very obvious.

11. Moses Doughty

Moses Doughty Registered User

The problem is that there were worse hits that went unpunished in the regular season which makes even worse. And the only reason the McNabb hit is getting so much talk (as was the RyJo hit and maybe the Wilson/Anderson hits) is because the suspension in the first place. The Doughty hit should've set the standard for what will get suspended this postseason, but the NHL/DOPS has already failed that

Maybe it's the teams, maybe it's because the Kings didn't go complain about it post-game, who knows.

12. Dicdonya

Dicdonya Registered User

This is all it should boil down to. I don't even care about head shots per se, but the league supposedly does, yet there is zero consistency in the rulings and a ton of "head contact" plays that go 100% unpunished. It looks really horrible on the league being that flippant about player safety while pretending they actually do want to stop it.

The league should do as you said, but I also think punishment should be a specific amount each time as well. Stop with the completely random games suspended, and just make it a chart. So maybe 1 game for first offense. 5 games for 2nd offense, 20 games for 3rd offense. Obviously how many tiers, games etc can all be negotiated.

However if the league isn't serious about head shots, then what they are doing works just fine to continue to allow them to occur regularly.

As for being on topic to this thread. That was a cheap, very late hit, but absolutely tiny in terms of force. Kopitar had about zero chance of being injured by that hit, I've been hit harder by a strong breeze than that hit. So to me it was at most an interference call, for clearly interfering with Kopitar about a mile away from the puck. I also understand however based on the leagues supposed policy about head shots, why LA fans, and maybe some others, want to see a suspension for that hit despite its non-severity.

13. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

It looks like a clear penalty to me. Was it called? If not, a fine might be appropriate, but not a suspension. This was more like Johansen's hit on Barrie (which did not receive a suspension) than Doughty's hit on Carrier, IMO.

14. Phillybean

Phillybean Registered User

Site Manager
    I feel that suspensions should be for a play that either did or had a high likelihood of resulting in an injury or concussion. A slow moving stiff arm to the head like McNabb isn't going to injure Kopitar. Won't be a concussion. Won't keep him out of the game or pull him for concussion protocol. Doughty made a higher speed, dangerous check that resulted in hard head contact. That just isn't allowed any more.

15. Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK Registered User

Any pronger related suspension is atleast 8 years old. So maybe provide some more context/evidence than a passing mention

16. Breaux

Breaux Registered User

musician
    I think this sums it up. Consistency.

17. mouser

mouser Business of Hockey

I don’t think we’ve established that at all. They’re different situations and hits.

I was surprised Doughty got a suspension, not because the check was clean but rather due to him being a star without a track record of dirty play. In a vacuum any random anonymous NHL player has a good probability of drawing a suspension for that check. The NHL has been cracking down on checks to the head, and by the rulebook the Doughty/Carrier check clearly fit into what the NHL has been trying to do.

The McNabb/Kopitar incident is a different situation, not okay by any means and I’m disappointed a penalty wasn’t called. But I disagree with the assessment it was only to “wreck a star’s melon”. The force to the head simply isn’t there.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  18. Breaux

Breaux Registered User

musician
    Giving a guy an unexpected elbow or forearm to his jaw could potentially injure him, regardless of the force. The speed of Kopitar along with the force of McNabb’s arm had the potential to injure. Th real issue though, is McNabb intentionally hit him in front of the ref, and the rule book became a non factor.

19. Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK Registered User

Yes you can. Especially considering both players had taken less than 3 strides after being at a standstill...

20. tny760

tny760 Registered User

how is this any different than a gloved punch?

that got lucic suspended for a game right?

21. valet

valet obviously adhd

there's no arguing that he hit him in the head but this isn't the type of headshot the league is going to do anything about cause it wasn't a dangerous check at high speeds

The precedent has been set, otherwise we'd have suspensions after every fight or minor scrum in front of the net

basically what I'm saying is that he didn't really hit him hard, it was more like a bop on the nose that a high impact collision

22. Bandit

Bandit Registered User Sponsor

Someone should tell Parros.

Legionnaire likes this.
  23. Armourboy

Armourboy Registered User

You can also tell by the reaction of the blow. If either player had been going at close to full speed when he hit he would have been laying on his back possible bleeding like heck.

Anisimovs AK likes this.
  24. Ched Brosky

Ched Brosky Registered User

Nothing more than a 2 min penalty either for roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct. Ref definitely let it slide when it should have been called but as the old schoolers would say, that’s playoff hockey letting the behind the scenes stuff like that go

25. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered User

mcnabb set a moving screen and kopitar ran into it. Mcnabb may have caught his head but kopitar initiated the contact by running into mcnabb. Could have called mcnabb for the moving screen but headshots are when players launch into other players heads. Mcnabb wasn’t even skating at kopitar there