McNabb headshot on Kopitar

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Pfft, that’s nothing. Ehlers was tackled away from the play twice last night and took a punch to the back of the head with no call all three times. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I get letting the more physical stuff go, but plays like this aren’t hockey and they’re just cheap shots. Nowhere near the play.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think many fans get caught up in semantics. It was a headshot, indeed. But it wasn’t a predatory dangerous one... should have been a minor penalty. But it’s not like the one where a player targets another player - usually tied-up with yet another player already - from off-in-the-distance and blows him up. Those ones aren’t hockey plays, can really cause long term brain injury, and have to be totally removed.
“Rough stuff” like in the OP is not good but also not a huge worry.

Maybe not, but what would be easier to take out of the game? Cheap shots where there’s no puck involved, or split-second decisions on a hockey play?

The Department of Player Safety shouldn’t be suspending players because of hits gone awry. The difference between this play and the Doughty hit is that Kopitar doesn’t have the puck and is an unsuspecting player. It’s the same reason why Cogliano was suspended - and rightfully so - the hit was on an unsuspecting player in a defenseless position. Similarly, if a player jumps or leaves his feet to target the head of an opposing player, that ought to be suspension-worthy as well.

But what message are we sending to players with a suspension like the one Doughty got? Your hit missed the guy’s shoulder by an three inches at full speed, and the opposing player might have played a part in it?

These kinds of plays would be so, so, so easy to take out of the game if the DoPS and the referees would just do something about it.

This thread is obviously going to garner some tit-for-tat responses due to the Doughty suspension, but it really highlights the failures and inconsistencies of the DoPS. No Kings fan here is blaming Vegas for the suspension. I think fans of all teams would appreciate the league putting forth a concerted effort to protect their players away from the puck and let them play a little more with the puck.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Clearly an interference penalty but nothing more.

If this is a suspenable play then hockey has fallen far from grace

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
McNabb definitely mesnt to give him a shot, did me mean to elbow him in the head/face? Idk.

Kopitar should've sold that and layed on the ice. Probably would've been 5 and game.

There's an art to diving and emebellishing

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
28duct.gif

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can't really defend this one. Don't know what the league will do, if anything. But that was unnecessary by McNabb. I don't think he got Kopitar as hard as Doughty got Carrier, but that doesn't matter much. McNabb needs to exercise more control/restraint.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
lol. there's 2 videos in this thread that show it quite clearly...

Let's see, there was one longer range video posted when I made my comment.

Seeing the 2nd video with a closer view seems to confirm it's a missed 2 minute minor.

Maybe not, but what would be easier to take out of the game? Cheap shots where there’s no puck involved, or split-second decisions on a hockey play?

The Department of Player Safety shouldn’t be suspending players because of hits gone awry. The difference between this play and the Doughty hit is that Kopitar doesn’t have the puck and is an unsuspecting player. It’s the same reason why Cogliano was suspended - and rightfully so - the hit was on an unsuspecting player in a defenseless position. Similarly, if a player jumps or leaves his feet to target the head of an opposing player, that ought to be suspension-worthy as well.

But what message are we sending to players with a suspension like the one Doughty got? Your hit missed the guy’s shoulder by an three inches at full speed, and the opposing player might have played a part in it?

These kinds of plays would be so, so, so easy to take out of the game if the DoPS and the referees would just do something about it.

This thread is obviously going to garner some tit-for-tat responses due to the Doughty suspension, but it really highlights the failures and inconsistencies of the DoPS. No Kings fan here is blaming Vegas for the suspension. I think fans of all teams would appreciate the league putting forth a concerted effort to protect their players away from the puck and let them play a little more with the puck.

The other notable difference is the amount of force delivered to the opponent's noggin.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Let's see, there was one longer range video posted when I made my comment.

Seeing the 2nd video with a closer view seems to confirm it's a missed 2 minute minor.

The other notable difference is the amount of force delivered to the opponent's noggin.

Sure. On the flip side, Carrier was carrying the puck with speed and knew to brace for contact. Kopitar was skating back to the bench without the puck.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Easily 2 mins for interference, bad missed call with the ref standing right there. Dumb play by McNabb, and definitely dirty. Wouldn't blame an LA player if they wanted to challenge him to fight next game (might even be a smart move to generate some good energy at home in a crucial game FWIW). Not worthy of any supplemental discipline tho IMO.

Looking at this angle:

There really isn't too much contact with Kopitar's head, and while McNabb does follow thru a bit with the elbow, most of the contact seems like shoulder/upper arm. Certainly wouldn't classify this as a flying elbow or forearm shiver or anything like that. Also, the actual force of the blow was pretty mild.

Reactions: paragon

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Can't really defend this one. Don't know what the league will do, if anything. But that was unnecessary by McNabb. I don't think he got Kopitar as hard as Doughty got Carrier, but that doesn't matter much. McNabb needs to exercise more control/restraint.
The league will do nothing. Dont think it's suspension worthy, it's the f***ing playoffs after all, but after all the weak stuff they were calling last night, this should've been a penalty. Probably wasn't called cause it was OT but that's bullshit. Only way the Kings were winning was going to be on the PP. Would the Kings have scored on the PP? Doubt it cause the Kings PP kinda sucks but you never know. Did the refs cost the Kings the game? No, I wouldn't say that. But did they cost the Kings a chance to win the game? Yup. This wasn't even a hockey play. Call the damn penalty.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The league will do nothing. Dont think it's suspension worthy, it's the ****ing playoffs after all, but after all the weak stuff they were calling last night, this should've been a penalty. Probably wasn't called cause it was OT but that's bull****. Only way the Kings were winning was going to be on the PP. Would the Kings have scored on the PP? Doubt it cause the Kings PP kinda sucks but you never know. Did the refs cost the Kings the game? No, I wouldn't say that. But did they cost the Kings a chance to win the game? Yup. This wasn't even a hockey play. Call the damn penalty.
I agree that could've been a penalty but both teams were getting away with infractions all game long. Not just in OT. There's no sense playing the speculation "what if" game because I could just as easily say the Knights could've had another goal with one more PP.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I agree that could've been a penalty but both teams were getting away with infractions all game long. Not just in OT. There's no sense playing the speculation "what if" game because I could just as easily say the Knights could've had another goal with one more PP.
Of course there were a lot of uncalled penalties. There always are. And yes, Vegas could've scored another goal on the PP. But like I said, the only way the Kings were scoring was going to be on the PP.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Of course there were a lot of uncalled penalties. There always are. And yes, Vegas could've scored another goal on the PP. But like I said, the only way the Kings were scoring was going to be on the PP.
Fair. I'm honestly not looking forward to the Kings getting Muzzin and Doughty back. Unless Vegas' best players can shake the jitters and look for high quality chances rather than just sending everything towards Quick's vicinity regardless of the difficulty, this could finish up with the games averaging 2.5-3 goals combined. Vegas is back to playing their defensive style that made them successful, which from my perspective is great. The problem is LA has been just as adept at limiting high quality chances so last night felt like a huge stalemate. That's only gonna get worse with Doughty and Muzzin in.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
We are in the playoffs and overtime...like come on now
You are enabling the dirty play. OT or not, it has to be called. It's in the rulebook. You are one who is taking away the skilled players out of the game with dirty tactics, holding, hooking, interference plays in the playoffs. I love physical plays but as long as he has the puck or just passed the puck less than 1 second is ok. Anything more than 1 second hits has to be called. I am not a fan of OT where ref let go everything even on a scoring chance, robbing him of a potential goal.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
You are enabling the dirty play. OT or not, it has to be called. It's in the rulebook. You are one who is taking away the skilled players out of the game with dirty tactics, holding, hooking, interference plays in the playoffs. I love physical plays but as long as he has the puck or just passed the puck less than 1 second is ok. Anything more than 1 second hits has to be called. I am not a fan of OT where ref let go everything even on a scoring chance, robbing him of a potential goal.

Hey maybe your right? But if that is what you want...sorry it well NEVER happen. Right or wrong they call the game different in the playoffs.

I hate that it's all over the place game to game/period to period I don't know what is a penalty or suspension anymore that is coming from a fan...can you imagine the players? being cross checked in the face with no call then get some bs hooking call late in the 3rd.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I dunno RJ, unnecessary but pretty minor. After the way Brown and Nabber started the game we knew this sort of thing wouldnt get called. I doubt Kopi expected a call in OT for it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Missed the 2 minute slash on Kopitar, but I don't see anything else worth mentioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad