TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Did we officially fire Eakins? I recall some whispers of him signing into other team's games shortly after his dismissal as a member of the Edmonton Oilers.
No one is ever really and truly fired in the NHL are they? If someone has a contract they're going to get that money. Often times the guy who has been "fired" stays on as some sort of consultant or scout until they get a position with a different organization. It's why we had to give up a pick for Chiarelli after he was "fired" from the Bruins. He was still technically under contract with the Bruins so we had to pay compensation to hire him out of their organization. Ditto for McLellan with the Sharks (although he wasn't technically or figuratively fired. I believe he left by choice).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No one is ever really and truly fired in the NHL are they? If someone has a contract they're going to get that money. Often times the guy who has been "fired" stays on as some sort of consultant or scout until they get a position with a different organization. It's why we had to give up a pick for Chiarelli after he was "fired" from the Bruins. He was still technically under contract with the Bruins so we had to pay compensation to hire him out of their organization. Ditto for McLellan with the Sharks (although he wasn't technically or figuratively fired. I believe he left by choice).
Not sure how it works. But I personally think Eakins should've had to give it all back.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Pretty asinine move. But it directly ties Chia’s fate to McLellen’s. You don’t get another coach now. That was it. If everything goes to shit again next year, I fully expect both to get fired at the same time.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Pretty asinine move. But it directly ties Chia’s fate to McLellen’s. You don’t get another coach now. That was it. If everything goes to **** again next year, I fully expect both to get fired at the same time.

Agreed. If he had a mostly spotless player personnel/transaction record with this club he might have more rope. However, he doesn't so doubling down on McLellan is pretty much an all-in type of move.

Oct 15, 2008
Pretty asinine move. But it directly ties Chia’s fate to McLellen’s. You don’t get another coach now. That was it. If everything goes to **** again next year, I fully expect both to get fired at the same time.
I think you mean promoted or moved to another position. This owner is too cheap to actually fire anyone.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Sadly I'm not convinced TMac being fired mid-season next year means Chia is automatically gone. They'll likely give him the full year to see if the new coach can dig their way out of it.

Reactions: dustrock

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To me it is weird to split up Woodcroft and Tmac. They've been together all this time, and supposedly Woody was a great PP coach but now he just sucks for some reason. I sense he's a bit of a scapegoat for our lack of proper OFD, and our injuries this season, but honestly I'm happy to try someone new just in case it will help

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The points from Oilers D on the PP dropped from 31 pts in that playoff season to 14 pts last season (historically low).

Someone's head had to roll and it was the assistants this time around.

The D has to get better offensively or they are going to have the same type of season again as they just did.

They likely need changes in both areas to get on track again.. and some luck that injuries and regressions don't happen again as well.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I think you mean promoted or moved to another position. This owner is too cheap to actually fire anyone.
Yeah but in some ways I don't blame him. After all, the the bathroom stalls all need cleaning. Too bad in term of the Oilers, it means a promotion typically. MacT - you suck. I really should fire your ass but why don't you be a pseudo -scout instead. Here's the keys to the corporate jet. Most orgs, they'd legitimately say GTFO of here. Not the Oilers of course...

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
No offense, but this seems like a joke to me. I hope he surpises me positively, but I think it may be hard for some players to take him seriously. It'll be very interesting to see what he does with the PP, will he be as stubborn and will he prefer using his favourite veterans.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I guess the benefit is you know the systems are going to be the same and the communication between T-Mac and Woodcroft will be good.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
No offense, but this seems like a joke to me. I hope he surpises me positively, but I think it may be hard for some players to take him seriously. It'll be very interesting to see what he does with the PP, will he be as stubborn and will he prefer using his favourite veterans.
I know this is me being a bit naughty but how seriously can you take someone that looks like a model for Howdy Doody? If you put a red nose on Woodcroft it would be all he needs. If he had a wooden nose he'd be Pinocchio telling players lies about what works on the PP. WOODcroft. haha.

I mean with a face like that theres only so much serious that's going to be granted.. ;)

jk aside the penultimate moment was when in a telecast an opponent D, Bieksa, lol at the Oilers PP and said "2007 Sharks called, they want their PP back" sarcastically while saying how easy it was to defend the Oilers stretch PP. Its rare when an opponent is so candid and it tends to get noticed. Last time the Oilers were laughed at like that was afairc Eller in Montreal laughing at our swarm defensive coverage under Eakins. Its pretty toxic when opponents laugh at the schemes of a team. Usually coaching firings are not too far off at that point. Its really rare again when opponents are so candid whats wrong about a team. There is no benefit or reason for them to do that. Opponents usually prefer to keep their mouths shut and hope you don't notice how inept your coaching schemes are. Because then they can beat you like rented mules for longer.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Opponents usually prefer to keep their mouths shut and hope you don't notice how inept your coaching schemes are. Because then they can beat you like rented mules for longer.

When other teams played against the Oilers I was going through their GDT's quite a few times. I saw so many posts where the fans were laughing at the Oilers' PP and PK, so it wasn't just the teams but the fans noticed it as well. So yes, I believe you're right with your assumption.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
When other teams played against the Oilers I was going through their GDT's quite a few times. I saw so many posts where the fans were laughing at the Oilers' PP and PK, so it wasn't just the teams but the fans noticed it as well. So yes, I believe you're right with your assumption.

Yeah. People here hate that kind of talk. They get very upset when other fans, players, or teams are mocking our club. But specific information serves a purpose. Kevin Bieksa was almost frustrated in the interview when he said it. Sure he was throwing an insult the Oilers way because he's a jerk. But his comments being specific actually are of value. He called out the Oilers PP in specific terms and no confusion about it. It was really quite a moment being on the Oilers telecast. I'm sure it caused embarrassment here because he was right. Its interesting as well that it was after the mocking Bieksa comment that the Oilers started to bring in Coffey, change up the looks on the PP, etc.

When Bieksa made that comment on a game telecast I knew it was an important moment. I was glad he said it. Your own players can't make that kind of comment. I bet they would want to.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah. People here hate that kind of talk. They get very upset when other fans, players, or teams are mocking our club.

Yeah, but I think this was so evident there should be no reason why this couldn't be said aloud. People are fooling themselves if they think that kind of performance doesn't create amusement. Woodcraft will be gone anyway, and I'm sure it'll be a different story next season. Maybe now we can take something good out of the last season and at least get some laughs thinking about the special teams.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems odd that Herbers is going back to the U of A. Sure he was great for them, but didn't they just win a title and now are letting their current coach go?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still no announcements on the assistants? I assume that since Chia is also involved in these hires that he will be hand picking McLellan's successor if Todd craps the bed again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Still no announcements on the assistants? I assume that since Chia is also involved in these hires that he will be hand picking McLellan's successor if Todd craps the bed again.
Why are we expecting anything? I see no reason why today we need to hear information. If it happens it happens, but there was a whole lot of indication stating it would happen.

If that whole goalie thing is correct and we can't sign him until tomorrow, wouldn't it just make sense to have one presser?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->