Speculation: McKenzie suggests Nyquist or Tatar possible for Nashville

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Interesting, I dont see Holland trading either of those guys for essentially a 2nd/3rd though. For him to move them, I think he would expect a 1st, or a legit high end prospect and a 2nd.

To be honest though, my take on Farrance is from what I read about him at the draft, I have no idea what he is doing this year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
A high end prospect isn’t happening A good prospect and a 2nd is likely (maybe)

Who knows maybe holland gets the gm drunk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Tatar and Nyquist are not pure rentals. They are players that Nashville very much needs in their equation to win the ultimate prize.

We should ask a lot. I don't know where it will go, but we do have leverage here. The opening discussions should be about their big boy defensive prospects. Tatar and more so Nyquist in my opinion are great fits for them and that matters in establishing their value.

By the way this is exactly what I think of Tatar and Nyquist at this point. They didn't become what we hoped, but man they could really be a nice add and good piece to a contender.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I wouldnt trade Nyquist for that, next year at the deadline I would have to think he would be worth more, he's not Vanek.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I suggested 2nd + Farrance in the other thread. Only issue with getting a 2nd from Nashville is it’s going to be a very late 2nd.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Tatar and Nyquist are not pure rentals. They are players that Nashville very much needs in their equation to win the ultimate prize.

We should ask a lot. I don't know where it will go, but we do have leverage here. The opening discussions should be about their big boy defensive prospects. Tatar and more so Nyquist in my opinion are great fits for them and that matters in establishing their value.

By the way this is exactly what I think of Tatar and Nyquist at this point. They didn't become what we hoped, but man they could really be a nice add and good piece to a contender.

The thing is there’s a bunch of good wingers and they aren’t first liners.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Has to start with Fabbro or 1st.

I agree, though I don't see Fabbro being available since they've already traded away Girard. Ellis' contract has just one year left. Chicago gave up a 1st and a B prospect for rental Antoine Vermette. Nyquist is not a center, but he's also not a rental. He can contribute to two Cup runs or return some value in trade next year. I'd want a 1st, if not this year then next, plus a good B prospect like Ejdsell or Mismash.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah, I suggested 2nd + Farrance in the other thread. Only issue with getting a 2nd from Nashville is it’s going to be a very late 2nd.
Yeah like 2019 because apparently they don't have a 2nd this year.

Retain 50% on Nyquist, maybe we can "buy" Fabbro that way.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I wouldnt trade Nyquist for that, next year at the deadline I would have to think he would be worth more, he's not Vanek.

But is he really worth more next year at the deadline? I get that there will be more potential buyers with the reduced cap cost, but we are selling multiple years of potential service and are not exactly forced to trade him this year. You might be correct in the context of a more expensive player, but Nyquist isn't that expensive to begin with.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
questionable defenseman prospect and late second draft only if we going to get rid off 5.5 mil a year for Tatar , definitely not Nyquist

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I agree, though I don't see Fabbro being available since they've already traded away Girard. Ellis' contract has just one year left. Chicago gave up a 1st and a B prospect for rental Antoine Vermette. Nyquist is not a center, but he's also not a rental. He can contribute to two Cup runs or return some value in trade next year. I'd want a 1st, if not this year then next, plus a good B prospect like Ejdsell or Mismash.

You think you're going to get a first and a prospect for Nyquist?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd be surprised if Holland traded a regular roster player who had a year or more on their contract. It'd be a pleasant surprise but I doubt it.

And Tatar's got 3 years left on his deal so that seems unlikely the Predators would want to take that on.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
You think you're going to get a first and a prospect for Nyquist?

There's no pressing need to trade Nyqust but yes, I think Nyquist with still a year left on his contract is worth just as much if not more than Vermette. Think of it this way, the Preds get the use of Nyquist this year when they are in a great position to reach the SC final, and can trade him next year for a second-round pick in 2019. The trade amounts to a late first and prospect, for Nyquist helping you win a Cup and a second-round pick that might be within 15-20 picks overall of the first you gave up. Maybe it's an overpay, but not by a lot. That's what legit SC contenders should be prepared to do.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bringing up this same topic on the Nashville boards, they seem EXTREMELY reluctant to have anything on the books past this season. I could see Nyquist working out with significant retention, but I don't see the interest in a long term commitment like Tatar's contract.

If something happens, I think the key will be Detroit eating as much salary as possible, and the right picks being involved (perhaps even conditional picks), as opposed to any significant prospects. But fingers crossed...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bringing up this same topic on the Nashville boards, they seem EXTREMELY reluctant to have anything on the books past this season. I could see Nyquist working out with significant retention, but I don't see the interest in a long term commitment like Tatar's contract.

If something happens, I think the key will be Detroit eating as much salary as possible, and the right picks being involved (perhaps even conditional picks), as opposed to any significant prospects. But fingers crossed...

Why? They are one of the best positioned teams to splurge on a guy for the next few years. They have all of their major pieces locked in for the next several years, outside of Rinne all of their main guys are in or near their primes, and there aren't any other real power houses in the west right now. If there was ever a time for Nashville to gamble a little, though I don't think taking on a contract like Nyquist or Tatar would be gambling at all for them, now is the time.

They shouldn't be stupid about bringing another guy on board, but cap shouldn't be a big concern for them. Get too careful and they'll just let their opportunity drift by.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why? They are one of the best positioned teams to splurge on a guy for the next few years. They have all of their major pieces locked in for the next several years, outside of Rinne all of their main guys are in or near their primes, and there aren't any other real power houses in the west right now. If there was ever a time for Nashville to gamble a little, though I don't think taking on a contract like Nyquist or Tatar would be gambling at all for them, now is the time.

They shouldn't be stupid about bringing another guy on board, but cap shouldn't be a big concern for them. Get too careful and they'll just let their opportunity drift by.
It's tough to gauge how the GM feels, but the fans seem to think the team is already good enough to win it all, and don't want to rock the boat any more than a minor depth signing or a pure rental. I don't completely agree with the sentiment - I think teams like Nashville and Tampa are built to win right now, and should be aggressive at the deadline - but that's the reaction they seem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->