McKenzie: Schremp tentatively on US roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fozz said:
Please answer this (since you see him play a lot): How good would Schremp be if he wasn't playing with Perry & Hunter? Who's feeding off of who on this line? Stats aren't everything but why is it that those 2 have more points?

Maybe because Schremp doesn't play on the same line as those two? Despite that, he leads the OHL in goals.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Fozz said:
Please answer this (since you see him play a lot): How good would Schremp be if he wasn't playing with Perry & Hunter? Who's feeding off of who on this line? Stats aren't everything but why is it that those 2 have more points?

Schremp is on the 2nd line. He doesn't normally play with Perry and Hunter outside the PP

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Fozz said:

Hunter is clearly feeding off Perry, from what I have seen. Hunter has blown more 5 bell chances this season than most players do in a career.

Schremp only plays with them on the power play, where Schremp, Perry and Bolland have all created their fair amount of scoring chances for each other.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Fozz said:

If anybody is feeding off anybody its Hunter off of Perry and/or Schremp. I'm telling you i've seen a lot of great players in London: Jason Allison, Rico Fata (he was great in junior b/c of his speed, i know hes not great now), Rick Nash and others and IMO Schremp has the best offensive talent than anyone i've seen. Yes thats incluidng Rick Nash. But!!!!!! Nash and others had a much more physical elementand overall size and grit to there game then Schremp. But offenseive skills and creativity he's the best.

Without Perry and Hunter, Schremp and Bolland would be the #1 duo in London and probably still in the league for that matter, he is that damn talented. His defence is IMPROVING and he is for some reason hitting this year (never saw him do that last year).

IMO Perry and Hunter have more points b/c they have alot more assists and its much easier to get assists than goals (robbie leads OHL in goals). Many of Perry and Hunters assists are to Schremp as well !!

To all the Schremp bashers read this part from Bobs article:

"There's no question his offensive pyrotechnics have a been a factor in a seeming USA Hockey change of mind, but what's apparently impressed Team USA the most is how hard Schremp has worked and how much he wants to be a part of the team. And it doesn't hurt that he has game-breaking qualities that could come in handy in a crucial game against, say, Canada."

Exactly what i've been saying for awhile now.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
littleHossa said:
He plays on the PP with them where he got 14 of his 24 goals.

Yup 58% of his goals were scored on the PP. But have you seen his goals? They are more due to his deadly shot then a beautiful setup. Not that those don't happen, Perry is a talented guy, but most of the goals I have seen are from him takeing a shot and picking a corner after finding a bit of room. They aren't gorgeous plays by Perry and Schremp gets the tap in. At least not for the most part

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
BuppY said:
That is great news for Schremp, he deserves to be on the team, why he wasn't there last year I have no idea, but I think this kids overlooked a lot. He is one hell of a player. :handclap:
Yeah, can you imagine if Team USA had chosen him last year. They might even have won the Gold ... oh, nevermind.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, first of all, I wouldn't use Redline as an accurate guage of Schremp's talent as they exhibited a clear agenda against him. Woodlief had been riding his nuts for two years. Schremp was rated as a top five talent by several publications, and I'll look over my notes to post the links later today. His stock fell because of questions about his personality/attitude, and ability to mesh with a team concept. Thus, he fell to the Oilers in the later portion of the 1st round. Since it's clear that Schremp has been making significant strides to improve his deficiencies, it's obvious to me at least, that they got a steal.

What's funny about your Redline rant is they actually ranked him higher then he went and if you read the material they themselves called him one of the top 5 most talented players in the draft.

Looks like the real NHL GM's were even harder on Schremp than Redline was.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
What's funny about your Redline rant is they actually ranked him higher then he went and if you read the material they themselves called him one of the top 5 most talented players in the draft.

Looks like the real NHL GM's were even harder on Schremp than Redline was.

I like Redline. All I'm saying is Woodlief had a hard on for Schremp. Do you deny that? As for your second point, you're absolutley correct, Most G.M.'s did pass on Schremp, that doesn't mean they made the right decision.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I like Redline. All I'm saying is Woodlief had a hard on for Schremp. Do you deny that?

"Hard on"? Generally in my experience that term is used to denote a positive feeling. Very contradictory to your earlier assessment.

I think Redline was pretty fair to Schremp. They had some issues with his attitude and knocked him down in their rankings because of that. Casual draft fans who only read Redline's editorial comments in USAToday get a skewed sense of exactly how much time and energy was spent talking about Schremp. I also believe that if there hadn't been a huge hype machine built around Schremp that Redline wouldn't have felt the need to be quite as vocal in speaking out about their concerns.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
"Hard on"? Generally in my experience that term is used to denote a positive feeling. Very contradictory to your earlier assessment.

Let me say it another way then: Kyle Woodlief has been extremely critical of Schremp for a long time. Every chance he had, he would make digs at him. To use Woodlief (Redline) as a source of information for critiquing Schremp would be using a source that is hardly objective. Whatever the case, I'm just gald he seems to have won over his critics and will be playing for the U.S.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I think Redline was pretty fair to Schremp. They had some issues with his attitude and knocked him down in their rankings because of that. Casual draft fans who only read Redline's editorial comments in USAToday get a skewed sense of exactly how much time and energy was spent talking about Schremp. I also believe that if there hadn't been a huge hype machine built around Schremp that Redline wouldn't have felt the need to be quite as vocal in speaking out about their concerns.

All fair points. I don't deny that Schremp dug himself a hole last year, and I understand why many teams passed on him. IMO, the Oilers are fortunate they took a chance, because he's going to be a heck of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad