McKenzie on the Wings at the deadline

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The TSN Hockey Bobcast - TradeCentre Edition
Starts at 41:08
No tear down coming.
No massive rebuild.
Wings wary of whats happening in Buffalo/Arizona/Edmonton, constantly rebuilding (as if they aren't bad anyway).
(talks about Edm and Buffalo instead of Detroit for 3 minutes).
Zetterberg/Abdelkader/Helm/Glendening are going to be mentors.
First order of business is Mike Green. Full NTC. Wings anticipate getting a first (maybe a prospect too). Or maybe a 2nd and 3rd.

Green has a very short list of places he'll go too. One fit is Tampa. Maybe not a few other places. Might return to Detroit, likes it here.

Tatar and Nyquist could be in play. Wings can afford to let one guy go for cap space, for a 2nd and a prospect. Nyquist has a full NTC.

Doubts Detroit moves a goalie by the deadline, but one won't be back next year. Wings probably aren't overly picky. They might move whoever is easier to move. Carolina might be an option for Mrazek.

Not much here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it is worth noting that McKenzie thinks they will land a first for Green. His opinion but with Bobby Mac I found that to be encouraging. Lately I have been thinking that wouldn't be the case. Glad to hear at least one insider thinks he has that value.

I also thought he said the worst it would be is the Smith return but even there he expected something a little better than the second and third. Of course that is somewhat clear with him saying he believes he will land a first.

I don't think we should be all that unhappy about what he said. I was surprised at how quickly he ran through Holland's status with the organization

Reactions: TheMule93

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Kenny and company are fooling themselves if they think the Wings can avoid a tear down/massive rebuild. It's literally the only option left.

I think this years draft is a huge factor in that. If we go on a run and end up picking 10th or 11th and get a decent player, then probably. If we land #1 and get Dahlin then I think it could work. Its all a flip of a coin though.

Interesting he didn't say anything about Nielsen, E, or Daley. Nielsen especially, as he has more years left under contract then Helm.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Kenny and company are fooling themselves if they think the Wings can avoid a tear down/massive rebuild. It's literally the only option left.

I agree and I think they are saying that so fans still buy tickets. When you look at the roster and the prospect pool it’s going to take a few more years and a little luck in the lottery.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I agree and I think they are saying that so fans still buy tickets. When you look at the roster and the prospect pool it’s going to take a few more years and a little luck in the lottery.

This is an analyst saying Holland is a timid bunny rabbit of a man, not Holland paying lip service.

So long as Holland is at the helm, expect mediocrity.

Reactions: avssuc

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What is "tear it down?"

If we really trade Howard/Mrazek, Tatar/Nyquist, Green, that's pretty close to tear it down status imo and those are all people who are already being heavily talked about as potential trades.

I mean who else would you expect to trade? Larkin? Mantha? That's craziness. Meanwhile, I doubt we get anything better than a 4th rounder for guys like Jensen, XO, and a lot of our bottom 6. What would even be the point of that?

Reactions: martinez

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The TSN Hockey Bobcast - TradeCentre Edition
Starts at 41:08
No tear down coming.
No massive rebuild.
Wings wary of whats happening in Buffalo/Arizona/Edmonton, constantly rebuilding (as if they aren't bad anyway).
(talks about Edm and Buffalo instead of Detroit for 3 minutes).
Zetterberg/Abdelkader/Helm/Glendening are going to be mentors.
First order of business is Mike Green. Full NTC. Wings anticipate getting a first (maybe a prospect too). Or maybe a 2nd and 3rd.

Green has a very short list of places he'll go too. One fit is Tampa. Maybe not a few other places. Might return to Detroit, likes it here.

Tatar and Nyquist could be in play. Wings can afford to let one guy go for cap space, for a 2nd and a prospect. Nyquist has a full NTC.

Doubts Detroit moves a goalie by the deadline, but one won't be back next year. Wings probably aren't overly picky. They might move whoever is easier to move. Carolina might be an option for Mrazek.

Not much here.

Wait...what??? Might return to Detroit as in just living here, or with the team?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What is "tear it down?"

If we really trade Howard/Mrazek, Tatar/Nyquist, Green, that's pretty close to tear it down status imo and those are all people who are already being heavily talked about as potential trades.

I mean who else would you expect to trade? Larkin? Mantha? That's craziness. Meanwhile, I doubt we get anything better than a 4th rounder for guys like Jensen, XO, and a lot of our bottom 6. What would even be the point of that?

People want Nielsen, Abby, Helm, E, Howard etc all traded. Its never going to happen though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Wait...what??? Might return to Detroit as in just living here, or with the team?

There have been rumors about this for a while. I would take Green back at a lower caphit, but we would have to move some others out.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Has anyone thought about the nightmare possibility of no moves being made? Lots off teams selling right now and KH might hold out and lose? I just hope not because another 1st and or a couple more seconds in this draft would be huge.

Reactions: avssuc

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Abdelkader and Helm mentors. Ahahaha

Are they gonna mentor them how to join Holland’s favorite club and get a lifetime contract?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What is "tear it down?"

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Even if you scorch as much earth as you realistically can, you're not moving the following:
* Larkin (return won't justify it)
* Zetterberg (recapture)
* Abby (contract would need a pick stapled to it, which is a net loss)
* Helm (see Abby)
* Nielsen (ditto)

So you're moving whatever veteran assets you get a decent return for. And at least listening to offers on guys like AA and Mantha, knowing it would take a very impressive return to pull the trigger. That's not Buffalo and Edmonton, that's just rebuilding. Buffalo and Edmonton are things like:

* Publicly criticizing your players, even questioning whether they are NHL caliber
* Signing players to massive contracts, way before their current one expires...and while they are injured
* Public media comments, saying you want to lose as many games as possible
* Benching and/or trading your GOOD players, to lose as many games as possible.

So yeah, I don't want to be like Buffalo and Edmonton. Not because they tried to aggressively rebuild, but because they each had extended durations of being managed by blithering idiots.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Wings make me think of the people who own the nice old house in town and who keep talking about fixing up this or that, refinishing the floors, or re-painting the trim. Except they never do. They don't have the money. They don't have the time. They don't have the ambition. And then all of the things that make the nice old house nice have turned to ruin. Instead of fixing these things, they have to be ripped out. Or they just fall off. And they are then replaced by something not quite as nice, installed not quite as well.

Holland has seen pieces that needed fixing for years now. He's just never gotten around to doing it. And the organization has slowly turned more and more to rot. He can't fix this or that. He can't move on from Gator or Nielsen. Because he can't afford to. So we'll have to wait until these pieces fall off. And even then we'll probably replace them with something not quite as nice.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Great game to reinforce the need for New York to trade for a goalie. Just not one from the Wings.

Maybe a 3 team deal, with Nyquist or Tatar going to Calgary, Gillies to Long Island, and a pick to the Wings? I dunno. This team keeps finding ways to reemphasize their awfulness.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

On a related note, I looked at the entire NHL, team by team, to see how many players they each had with either a partial NTC, full NTC, or NMC.

For partial NTCs and NMCs, Detroit was well within a single standard deviation of the league average.

But for full NTCs, the Wings have SEVEN PLAYERS (Nyquist, Abdelkader, Helm, Green, DeKeyser, Ericsson, and Daley). For comparison, the league average is 0.94, and there are only 5 other teams with more than ONE player having a full NTC. That's something like 3.6 standard deviations above the mean, which is another way of saying that Detroit's amount would be higher than 99.97% of the population (assuming normal distribution).

Regardless of who runs the show after this season, they HAVE to rein it in a bit, and stop giving the NTCs out like candy, because it handcuffs the daylights out of your flexibility down the road.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
People want Nielsen, Abby, Helm, E, Howard etc all traded. Its never going to happen though.
Agreed, especially in Nielsen's case due to our center depth being rather shallow. Abby I am fine with other than his term length. E won't be around much longer at least.

Reactions: kliq

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bertuzzi proving to be a wasted pick. Trade him for a 3rd if we can and cut the hack that can't mentally handle the NHL.
totally disagree with you . For last 5 years only Larkin wasn't wasted pick . I know time will show , but give Bert another chance .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad