TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
f*** it. let's rebuild, I don't want other team's scrubs. just be shit for 5 years and build a team. If we don't get tavares don't settle on o'reilly. just be patient. the summer scares me for habs hockey, eller trade, shaw trade, pk trade, alzner signing. jesus. it hasn't been too good. at least we had radulov only to no resign him. ahhhh...terrified for the off-season.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
**** it. let's rebuild, I don't want other team's scrubs. just be **** for 5 years and build a team. If we don't get tavares don't settle on o'reilly. just be patient. the summer scares me for habs hockey, eller trade, shaw trade, pk trade, alzner signing. jesus. it hasn't been too good. at least we had radulov only to no resign him. ahhhh...terrified for the off-season.
I would take a scrub as part of the rebuild if its a cap dump where we get an asset back with it.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Its kind of crazy how the stars never seem aligned for the habs to land a center...

the exact type of center they need could be available - but he plays in the division
they're awful one year, draft player deemed to be the top eligible center (Galchenyuk) in his draft - he ends up not being a center
They're awful this year, have a top 4 pick - there's no center projected to be in the top 10 this year.

Cruel
Galchenyuk is a center. But you know our idiot in charge doesn't want to be proven wrong...

Reactions: Cobra Commander

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
**** it. let's rebuild, I don't want other team's scrubs. just be **** for 5 years and build a team. If we don't get tavares don't settle on o'reilly. just be patient. the summer scares me for habs hockey, eller trade, shaw trade, pk trade, alzner signing. jesus. it hasn't been too good. at least we had radulov only to no resign him. ahhhh...terrified for the off-season.
Watch them give a 5 year deal to bozak. Lol.

Reactions: Runner77

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Not so sure we could of easily topped that return. We shouldn’t use hindsight evaluation at who Grigs and Zadorov are today. Back at the time of the trade, they were grade A prospects and the Habs didn’t have any. Scherbak and McCarron were not.

Would you of made that trade back when? Seriously?
As expected. You asked how we could have possibly been in the mix for ROR and were given two legitimate possibilities. And of course you just dismissed them both because you were never interested in actually considering how we might have made any trade. Moreso just helping perpetuate the excuse-laden narrative for Dear Leader.

As a centrepiece player, I'd argue that Gallagher was the best available piece vs. the guys Colorado got from Buffalo. He was a Calder finalist, then 24G-47Pts in year two, with all of the boatloads of intangibles that NHL execs love. And signed to what most agreed was a good long term contract. At the time of the trade Grigs has played part of two seasons in the NHL with 9 points in 43 games, along with concerns about his work ethic. He wasn't a bust then, still too young for that, but it's not hindsight to suggest there were warning signs he might not work out. Zadorov was a good piece, but Beaulieu was still well regarded at that time.

And while I would not have enjoyed trading Galchenyuk, if the team is hell bent on using him the way they have, then I think the team would be better off with a legit C. If we didn't have Juulsen I don't think too many people would be pining for him back, he's fairly replaceable as a prospect.

But anyway, carry on. It was simply impossible for Bergevin to do anything. But at least he tried, maybe.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fake news: Centres aren't traded.

Can't take this centre thing anymore.

I'd much prefer they add even more draft picks in the next three years and try to corner the market. It's the only currency that matters right now. I know they have a lot of holes to fill but they can't keep chasing players who aren't even bona fide no. 1Cs. This has got to end.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
O'Reilly would be great but I don't see the Sabres trading him at all, let alone to us within the division. Where would that get them?

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Maybe the price is too high (I certainly wouldn't move Galchenyuk+1st round) but I don't think "he's not a real 1C" is a good reason to avoid trading for O'Reilly. This "#1C" stuff feels like the perfect being the enemy of the good. The Habs desperately need a 1C but they also desperately need any center help, and O'Reilly would be the best center on the Habs by a huge margin.

I don't think O'Reilly is the answer as a 1C, just looking within the division he's obviously not a Stamkos/Matthews/Barkov/Bergeron level player, but the Habs don't even have a 2C, and they don't really have any defensively strong centers either. I like Danault and he's been fine in his role as a 2C for the Habs but he's completely overmatched at 2C within the division by Point/Kadri/Krejci/Trocheck, or even Kuznetsov/Malkin for that matter. It might seem "unfair" to criticize Danault for not being as good as those players but the reality is you'll have to beat those teams to go far in the playoffs, and at the very least O'Reilly lets you go into a series comfortable that at least one of your top 6 centers stacks up with the opposing 2C.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not interested in ROR.
Tank and rebuild for a few years, then with a solid good of prospects you can make additions through trades or on the UFA market. We dont have the assets to trade for a player like ROR without creating holes somewhere else in the lineup and good UFAs wont want to come here right now or we will have to severely overpay like we did with Alzner.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->