TSN: McKenzie | O’Reilly would be absolute godsend to Canadiens

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I'd like to think that the more i talk about it and the more i wish it happens that it will. Its Bergevin's last chance and he will go for it while screwing this team even more though.:(

Honestly the teams f***ed for 8 years already, I dont even mind him trading our pick.

Reactions: Runner77

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Max I trade for ROR is Pacioretty, Lindgren and one of our seconds. I'd have to think about trading Juulsen long and hard. He's not untouchable when we have a better version of him in Brook but if we can strike a deal without him involved, that'd be great. Also, if the plan for BUF is to make the playoffs, we could take Moulson off their hands.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Max I trade for ROR is Pacioretty, Lindgren and one of our seconds. I'd have to think about trading Juulsen long and hard. He's not untouchable when we have a better version of him in Brook but if we can strike a deal without him involved, that'd be great. Also, if the plan for BUF is to make the playoffs, we could take Moulson off their hands.
Only Slippin' Jimmy could pull that trade off. MB isn't slick enough to fool anyone.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
O'Reilly would be a tremendous addition, but I don't think he's a #1 center on a cup winning team.

A great #2, absolutely. But he'd essentially be another prime Plekanec. Not a bad thing, but would clearly not be enough. Would be an upgrade, but I'd be worried of the assets we'd have to part with to get him.

I'd agree to trade for him assuming we can sign Tavares. Otherwise, it'd be kicking the rock down the road in our perpetual cycle of mediocrity.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
O'Reilly would be a tremendous addition, but I don't think he's a #1 center on a cup winning team.

A great #2, absolutely. But he'd essentially be another prime Plekanec. Not a bad thing, but would clearly not be enough. Would be an upgrade, but I'd be worried of the assets we'd have to part with to get him.

I'd agree to trade for him assuming we can sign Tavares. Otherwise, it'd be kicking the rock down the road in our perpetual cycle of mediocrity.
Nailed it.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I agree 100% that he's not a much better than Plek was in his prime, but it really depends on what angle we are going to take for next season. If we want to get back into the playoffs, ROR is a good target (although his attitude is pretty meh). He never said that he plays like a little girl but he doesn't have the most positive attitude or mental fortitude.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I agree 100% that he's not a much better than Plek was in his prime, but it really depends on what angle we are going to take for next season. If we want to get back into the playoffs, ROR is a good target (although his attitude is pretty meh). He never said that he plays like a little girl but he doesn't have the most positive attitude or mental fortitude.

Obviously I expect Bergevin to show his complete lack of foresight yet again and go all out in hopes to save his butt by making the playoffs. To me that's a foregone conclusion. He can't afford another losing season.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

O'reilly is a better player than Plekanec in his prime, no doubt. That said, if we acquire him and expect him to be the go to guy, we are still in trouble.

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A better version of him in Brook? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves yet. Juulsen has shown he can play a shift in the NHL. Josh Brook almost fell to the 3rd round.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
O'reilly is a better player than Plekanec in his prime, no doubt. That said, if we acquire him and expect him to be the go to guy, we are still in trouble.

I don't know. The production is similar. The two-way acumen is similar.

I guess O'Reilly is bigger and Canadian, so I get the major appeal he'd have for a guy like Bergevin. I'm not sure I buy the hype entirely, though. I'm not especially impressed by O'Reilly's skill level, which is another thing where you can draw parallels with Plekanec.

Again, to me it depends on where the team is headed. He'd be a great addition, but it depends on how you surround him. If you add O'Reilly at the cost of guys like Galchenyuk and/or Mete, I really don't think we stand to gain much.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't know. The production is similar. The two-way acumen is similar.

I guess O'Reilly is bigger and Canadian, so I get the major appeal he'd have for a guy like Bergevin. I'm not sure I buy the hype entirely, though. I'm not especially impressed by O'Reilly's skill level, which is another thing where you can draw parallels with Plekanec.

Again, to me it depends on where the team is headed. He'd be a great addition, but it depends on how you surround him. If you add O'Reilly at the cost of guys like Galchenyuk and/or Mete, I really don't think we stand to gain much.

O'reilly is not flashy, but he is a better offensive player then Plekanec, score goals in many ways and is tough on the puck. He's a player that can make his line roll. Plekanec gave you the impression he was a 3rd liner who got tons of playing time and that's why he got his points, no real offensive threat to his game. And I agree with your second paragraph.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
O'reilly is not flashy, but he is a better offensive player then Plekanec, score goals in many ways and is tough on the puck. He's a player that can make his line roll. Plekanec gave you the impression he was a 3rd liner who got tons of playing time and that's why he got his points, no real offensive threat to his game. And I agree with your second paragraph.

You're talking about the Plekanec of the recent years, which totally isn't fair to the guy that used to center the AK-Plek-AK46 line.

He used to be a dangerous all-around player too.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You're talking about the Plekanec of the recent years, which totally isn't fair to the guy that used to center the AK-Plek-AK46 line.

He used to be a dangerous all-around player too.
No, I'm talking about Plekanec of the last 7 years or so. The recent years he's been garbage. It's no coincidence he was a playoff dud all his career, a player that was asked too much of.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
No, I'm talking about Plekanec of the last 7 years or so. The recent years he's been garbage. It's no coincidence he was a playoff dud all his career, a player that was asked too much of.

Prime Plekanec, or peak Plekanec, was before that time frame.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
So his prime ended at 27 years old?

His statistical peak was along those lines, yes. Just like it is for most forwards in the league.

He had two 70ish points seasons in a 3 years span. Prime Plekanec was a low-end first liner, deluxe 2nd line center. I guess you could argue some of that overlapped in the first couple of years of Bergevin's tenure. Even if it did, the numbers are what they are, and nothing really shows what you're advocating in terms of O'Reilly being definitely better than a prime Plekanec.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Plekanec’s last prime year was 2015.

Meh, at that point he was a glorified plumber despite the production. It's no coincidence skilled players went cold when put on his line, he played a very linear north south game with very minimal ability to feed his linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad