TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Only 3 more days of conspiracy. At this time on Friday we will either be happy or dissapointed and looking forward to the 4 2nd rounders.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I wrote this post last November :

"Well we agree that he has an injury. Just not the location. I don't doubt that he might have tweaked something lower body, but I feel the main problem is upper body, neck or residual concussion. These explain his slow reactions overall (physical and decisions), not visually tracking the puck well, apparently diminished peripheral vision, as well as his mobility."

With Carey, it’s mental. You can see it. No motivation. Led to technical problems. He has to trust his dman. There’s been to much of an overhaul.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
With Carey, it’s mental. You can see it. No motivation. Led to technical problems. He has to trust his dman. There’s been to much of an overhaul.

I don't doubt that he had some motivational issues. The Clown lost Markov and Radulov through sheer idiocy.

I'm talking about him not being able to track pucks behind the net, had trouble picking up the puck from everywhere, slow to react. These are manifestations of an injury, not a poor attitude.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't doubt that he had some motivational issues. The Clown lost Markov and Radulov through sheer idiocy.

I'm talking about him not being able to track pucks behind the net, had trouble picking up the puck from everywhere, slow to react. These are manifestations of an injury, not a poor attitude.

In my opinion, he was never on the same page as the defence all year. The puck handling, rebounds, and any sort of communication thrown out of the window right from the preseason. He’s not reactionary. He plays percentages and he’s been known as great leader in our room in the past. There was none of that last year. Niemi/Lindgren are more focused on stopping pucks where Price is always thinking one or two steps beyond that. He knows he can stop the puck or come out and play it, he’s telegraphing what will happen next. If Price can’t trust his defence to be competent, he’ll be useless for us.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
In my opinion, he was never on the same page as the defence all year. The puck handling, rebounds, and any sort of communication thrown out of the window right from the preseason. He’s not reactionary. He plays percentages and he’s been known as great leader in our room in the past. There was none of that last year. Niemi/Lindgren are more focused on stopping pucks where Price is always thinking one or two steps beyond that. He knows he can stop the puck or come out and play it, he’s telegraphing what will happen next. If Price can’t trust his defence to be competent, he’ll be useless for us.

Put Martin Brodeur in his prime behind that Habs dfense last year...

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

There's no doubt about that. Compare last year's D corps to 2 years earlier. Night and Day. Jekyll and Hyde. Dunning and Kruger.

It is possible that he also had a concussion during that season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There's no doubt about that. Compare last year's D corps to 2 years earlier. Night and Day. Jekyll and Hyde. Dunning and Kruger.

It is possible that he also had a concussion during that season.

It could be a concussion, minor decline, overhaul of defence, or all of the above or any combination. You could tell Price wasn’t on the same page as our defence from day 1 last season. Lack of talent on our blue line played a huge part, but he wasn’t comfortable at no point. He could end teams transitions games prior and he was hardly playing the puck the second half of the season. It speaks volumes of the defence and rush players on this team. It was a handicap. He had chemistry with Subban, Markov, Enelien, Beaulieu, and even Gorges.

Reactions: groovejuice

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
When was the last time the Habs drafted and developed one? Saku Koivu? Even then, he was more of a 2C. It's literally been decades.

Err...He was (or rather, could have been) a legit 1st C. And would have been a damn good one too if his injuries didn't derail his career.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
People shouldn't worry if #3 will yield a franchise player or not. For example if Kot is only an average #1 in the end that's fine. The issue isn't so much that, the issue is and should always be if the habs have the balls to rebuild and get several top picks to build a new core.

Well said, LL.

If Kotkaniemi ends up a 60-70pt Center, it’s mission accomplished. Even if Zadina is a slightly more productive winger, the Center Ice position is too valuable and has been neglected for too long in Montreal. Wingers are simply much easier to draft/sign/trade for.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well said, LL.

If Kotkaniemi ends up a 60-70pt Center, it’s mission accomplished. Even if Zadina is a slightly more productive winger, the Center Ice position is too valuable and has been neglected for too long in Montreal. Wingers are simply much easier to draft/sign/trade for.
70 pt C would give us something that our Cs have only accomplished 3 times in last 20 years, if he ends up there I'm estatic

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Draft Kotkaniemi, and with the 4x 2nd rounders draft 2 more centers and 2 left defenders.

Watch them draft wingers and right defense, Bergie loves to stockpile wingers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This makes no sense. Elaborate. That's a fantastic core, especially if you develop Galchenyuk properly. It's not the core that failed. It's the supporting cast and the GM.

We just simply disagree. I would of preferred us to trade Markov, Pleky, Gionta, ect for picks/prospects. And a few more years of top 10 picks after the 2012 draft. Today? I prefer the same thing cause we have too many holes. It's how you build cup contenders vs the team we had for the last 6 years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Put Martin Brodeur in his prime behind that Habs dfense last year...

So, are you suggesting we should insert whatever GOAT goalie into these discussions even though we’re talking about 2017-2018?

Price had a bad year, I think we all get it, though I think @nhlfan9191 nailed it dead on, but the better question you should have posed is put Rinne, Hellybuck, Fleury or Holtby behind that D last year and see how they did.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Draft Kotkaniemi, and with the 4x 2nd rounders draft 2 more centers and 2 left defenders.

Watch them draft wingers and right defense, Bergie loves to stockpile wingers.

I'm okay with a winger here or there. One example is I wouldn't mind them using a later pick for Adam Mascherin, who is a left winger (but ready to play pro next year because he's older). Last year, it was centers or defensemen (2RD and 2LD). And the 2 RD (Brook & Fleury) are the ones that show the most NHL potential.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Happy to hear that.

What are the winning lotto max numbers for Friday? PM me please.
Be another Galchenyuk2.0 or Drouin. Going to be a mistake. Because they don't know how to develop centers and this regime is going no where soon. THey are here for the long term. All this hype and 6 years from now he will be traded away for a third line winger

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Be another Galchenyuk2.0 or Drouin. Going to be a mistake. Because they don't know how to develop centers and this regime is going no where soon. THey are here for the long term. All this hype and 6 years from now he will be traded away for a third line winger

So the numbers...????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad