Rumor: Mckenzie and Lebrun say Columbus has an offer of a late first round pick for Jack Johnson

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
If Roman Polak can get you two 2nd round picks, Jack Johnson can get a late first.

That being said, I don't want the Leafs to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
nothing to see here, this is JJ's agent fabricating a market and value that probably isn't actually there to drive up his value.

agents do this all the time

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
If Roman Polak can get you two 2nd round picks, Jack Johnson can get a late first.

That being said, I don't want the Leafs to touch this with a ten foot pole.

The trade was probably Reimer, Polak, Spaling, Morin for two 2nd round picks, Stalock, Smith, Torres, and a conditional 4th. Or basically Reimer and Polak for two 2nds and a player that they really needed to move (Torres). It still wasn't a great trade for SJ but "Polak for two 2nds" is probably not the real trade nor is it a good baseline for what to expect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So flip the pick for a roster player. A team willing to give up a 1st for JJ is unlikely to have an expendable roster forward with the value of a 1st.
Everyone on the boards acts as if flipping pieces for the one you want is so easy.

But that's the fallback plan. If he has a 1st offer now, it's possible the price goes up as we get closer to the deadline, but it's entirely possible the offer vanishes entirely. Jarmo is letting the team decide. If they trade Johnson for a 1st, they're pretty much saying giving up on this season and looking towards the next one. This team needs help if it's gonna make the playoffs, let alone do anything there. A pick doesn't help that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Everyone on the boards acts as if flipping pieces for the one you want is so easy.

But that's the fallback plan. If he has a 1st offer now, it's possible the price goes up as we get closer to the deadline, but it's entirely possible the offer vanishes entirely. Jarmo is letting the team decide. If they trade Johnson for a 1st, they're pretty much saying giving up on this season and looking towards the next one. This team needs help if it's gonna make the playoffs, let alone do anything there. A pick doesn't help that.

There's also the question of how serious was JJ with his reported trade request?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There's also the question of how serious was JJ with his reported trade request?
Usually when a player let's his GM know that he wants to be traded, he's pretty serious. Jack only wants to be traded so that he can play in a top 4 role so he can get more minutes and more money in the off-season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Usually when a player let's his GM know that he wants to be traded, he's pretty serious. Jack only wants to be traded so that he can play in a top 4 role so he can get more minutes and more money in the off-season.

Which given the sad knowledge of his financial state makes all the sense in the world.

I feel bad for JMFJ, I hope he gets maximum value out of his next contract and he has to do what is right for him and that is to get more exposure in a top 4 role.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The trade was probably Reimer, Polak, Spaling, Morin for two 2nd round picks, Stalock, Smith, Torres, and a conditional 4th. Or basically Reimer and Polak for two 2nds and a player that they really needed to move (Torres). It still wasn't a great trade for SJ but "Polak for two 2nds" is probably not the real trade nor is it a good baseline for what to expect.

Crazy idea but maybe the trade that actually happened in real life at the deadline is the real trade.

Why would we not keep the picks and trade Reimer to someone else for another 2nd if that's what he was apparently worth?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Crazy idea but maybe the trade that actually happened in real life at the deadline is the real trade.

Why would we not keep the picks and trade Reimer to someone else for another 2nd if that's what he was apparently worth?

Because this allows both teams to spin a "meh" trade as a win on one of the trades.

If it was actually one trade done in two parts, you don't have both 2nds to keep so I don't understand your hypothetical.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Because this allows both teams to spin a "meh" trade as a win on one of the trades.

If it was actually one trade done in two parts, you don't have both 2nds to keep so I don't understand your hypothetical.

The moment the paperwork is signed on Polak + Spaling for 2 2nds + Torres or whatever the first deal was, what incentive does the Toronto GM have to carry out the rest of the deal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that Polak is worth less than he returned and Reimer is worth more, right? Why not keep the inflated return from Polak, and sell off Reimer to the highest bidder instead? There's nothing the Sharks can legally do about it.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The moment the paperwork is signed on Polak + Spaling for 2 2nds + Torres or whatever the first deal was, what incentive does the Toronto GM have to carry out the rest of the deal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that Polak is worth less than he returned and Reimer is worth more, right? Why not keep the inflated return from Polak, and sell off Reimer to the highest bidder instead? There's nothing the Sharks can legally do about it.

If Lamoriello did that, no other GM would trust him to keep his word. He'd have a hard time making trades. The markets for GMs are very limited. If you need to move a player, there are only a handful of GMs who may be interested. Same if you need to acquire a player. You don't want to cut off the few you have. If you do, you'll be paying more to acquire players (and won't have the selection) and you'll be getting less when you want to sell. That would be an extremely short-sighted move. It would only work for a GM who knew he was on his way out and who didn't want another GM (or similar) job.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Based on absolutely nothing, I'm gonna say ... Dallas or St. Louis (cause Edmundson is out for a bit).

Edit: Whoops - didn't know the Blues didn't have their 1st.

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Pateryn
Johnson - Johns
x: Honka
IR: Methot

Dunn - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Johnson - Bortuzzo
x: Gunnarsson
IR: Edmundson

We absolutely do not need to be spending a first on a guy that would be our 3rd LD. Methot getting healthy will be our D acquisition. If we are trading our first it will be for wing help

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
A first for JJ, ya you take that and run.

As for Canuck fan stating trade Edler, I agree but seems like he wont waive ever, maybe re visit that topic at next TDL, but it seems unlikely he will help the team out by moving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad