McKeen's Top 30 for March

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That goes to show how important the draft position of player is to subsequent perceptions of him. I mean, Korneev mounts a fairly good challange against Emelin in terms of currently being the best defenceman out of the trio and is defenitely at the present moment better than his teammate Kirill Lyamin, who the Ottawa Senators happen to hold in quite high regard. Granted, Korneev is a couple years older and followed the developmental curver of a late(r) bloomer.

Well for the Habs their depth of D prospects is way out of whack, we are loaded with RD's and short on LD's (kind of opposite of most teams) so with Emelin he's easily our top LD prospect and likely top D prospect at least in my eyes, although I really liked Korneev at the wjc's and have seen a good bit of him when he was with AK Bars.

Out of 13 D prospects at various levels, 8 of 13 are RD's, so the improtantance of getting another RD in Korneev over here might be lessened when compared with Emelin and Valentenko since they are both LD's and likely our top 2 LD prospects. In fact out of the 5 LD prospects we have, we could lose 2 this summer in Korpikari from Karpat if he's not signed and Cote with Hamilton as he's a Group VI UFA this summer. After Emelin and Valentenko the Habs LD future is bleak at best. Whereas they right side they have David Fischer, Ryan O'Byrne, Mathieu Carle, Korneev, Paquet etc..

As for Korneev I seem to recall him getting a lot of praise for his play in his rookie year in the RSL with the Soviet Wings, although it was said he only got top ice time because the team was so bad. The nhl lockout and injuries sure hampered his developement while with AK Bars. Frankly I'd really like to see him come over, I still remember his open ice hit on Joni Pitkanen at the wjc's!

turnbuckle*

That goes to show how important the draft position of player is to subsequent perceptions of him. I mean, Korneev mounts a fairly good challange against Emelin in terms of currently being the best defenceman out of the trio and is defenitely at the present moment better than his teammate Kirill Lyamin, who the Ottawa Senators happen to hold in quite high regard. Granted, Korneev is a couple years older and followed the developmental curver of a late(r) bloomer.

Nice to hear about Korneev. He certainly wasn't nearly as highly regarded as Emelin going into this season; I guess he upped his stock with a good season. Bear in mind that it was more than a couple of months ago that I had the conversation, so the organization may be more interested in him now than they were then.

As for undrafted Russians...we have Igor Musatov and Mikhail Glukhov ranked in the late 200's

Others candidates to be on the final list of 300 are Anton Glovatsky, Egor Milovzorov, Ilja Kablukhov, and Gennady Churilov.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
As for undrafted Russians...we have Igor Musatov and Mikhail Glukhov ranked in the late 200's

Others candidates to be on the final list of 300 are Anton Glovatsky, Egor Milovzorov, Ilja Kablukhov, and Gennady Churilov.

My favourite is Gennady Churilov, the kids has always impressed me for Lokomotiv, and wasn't too shabby at the World Juniors either. I really hope he gets drafted and think that he is the best player out of the above bunch.

How about some young defencemen playing big roles in the RSL in Alexander Loginov, Denis Osipov, and Evgeny Ryasensky: are they on the radar at all? I understand how Ryasensky having a wife and kid at 18 is a substantial negative and that Osipov's solid minutes in the RSL are somewhat diminished by the fact that he plays for Krilya Sovetov. Yet Loginov is already a second pairing defenceman on a good RSL team, played well at the WJC as far as I recall, and doesn't lack in either the offensive nor defensive skill department... why doesn't this kid receive more attention? Is him only being 175lbs a big drawback?

What about some even older but more accomplished guys in Anton Belov, Evgeny Ketov, and especially Ivan Kasutin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->