24. Mayorov 23
25. White 24
26. Backlund 16
27. Cross 26
28. Hickey 33
29. Korostin 19
30. Legein 28

The numbers on the right are where they were ranked last month

All criticisms will be welcomed (and ignored). Flame away. ;) We will try to answer any questions you may have.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I haven't seen McDonagh but he seems to be rising on many charts. What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Turnbuckle- I like your work and appreciate you doing this thread- sorry if that notion didn't get through earlier. Somehow it seemed to have gotten reversed.
I also hope posters are balanced and courteous in their responses to Turnbuckle in this thread- it makes for better reading.

Peace, man.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Petrecki seems to be stuck in the 16-20 range. I'm wondering why this is, personally I think he is right up there with Alzner for being the best defenseman in the draft and his offensive game finally seems to be showing. Is the reason he's been stagnant while others are rising above him the level of competition he's up against compared to higher ranked players in the Major Junior or NCAA leagues?

turnbuckle*

I haven't seen McDonagh but he seems to be rising on many charts. What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Turnbuckle- I like your work and appreciate you doing this thread- sorry if that notion didn't get through earlier. Somehow it seemed to have gotten reversed.
I also hope posters are balanced and courteous in their responses to Turnbuckle in this thread- it makes for better reading.

Peace, man.

Glad to read this Steb - I've always respected your opinions on prospects - perhaps I had my defence shield up a little too high . Sorry if I misconstrued your post; the crap seemed to be piling up pretty thickly.

turnbuckle*

what round do you see Lars Eller or Joakim Andersson going?

Eller and Anderrson won't last past the second round - they may even go late in the first. Simon Hjalmarsson is also a candidate for the second round or early third.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Asked this question on the other one... but it probably got lost in the tumultuous process that went on :D

Just curious to see how in McKenn's opinion has the Aliu recent turn of event hurt him in the ranking, and where is Veilleux listed?

Also, As for Goalie Most people like Cann but how abour Sexsmith?

Just can imagine how bad he got teased with his name :D

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Turnbuckle, I almost feel like I should be paying you or something. In regards to your recent posts, if any of that is directed to me, my apologies. My posts are designed to help me learn my craft, by trying to figure out where to place the most emphasis on a player. I start with talent and work from there, I am having a hard time trying to figure out how much "character" should play in this. Not everybody is a Ryan Smyth. I am more inclined to give allowances in respect to character if the skills that just can't be taught are there in spades, so my digging at you in regards to Esposito is just me trying to pick your brain trying to figure out how to balance everything a scout needs to consider when rating a prospect. There's a guy I argue with alot here and on the Hawks forum, 50, who you have pegged as a "I know everything so everybody should do as i say, and just because I've never seen X player play, I still know if he's great or a bum" so I emphasise with you. Overall I very much respect yours and the ISS guys opinions, even if they don't exactly match up with mine, for the most part we seem to be in the same ballpark. Having said that "IMO" especially after scouting him Wed night, I can see Voracek going top 5, maybe top 3. I like him better than Turris (who I studied intently through video), also I am hoping for a big playoff from Espo, though with their goaltending, they may bow out first round, so that my head scout will be confident picking him with our first pick (at this point, will probably be the 8-12 pick.

L-train*

I think Voracek is a little underrated here. :)

Besides that, yeah, looks good.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Peace, man.
I don't even know if I've ever actually disagreed on any prospects or rankings in my debates with turnbuckle, despite his curious take on it, but I too certainly appreciate the insights he gives into the players as well as the process, when he does. It's part of what makes HFBoards great, that's for sure. Us armchair geeks rely on stuff like that!
:GWC:

turnbuckle*

I don't even know if I've ever actually disagreed on any prospects or rankings in my debates with turnbuckle, despite his curious take on it, but I too certainly appreciate the insights he gives into the players as well as the process, when he does. It's part of what makes HFBoards great, that's for sure. Us armchair geeks rely on stuff like that!
:GWC:

:cf:

I was going to address this but I'm going to let it drop.

Let's talk hockey.

BrondbyDK

Mar 11, 2006
Denmark
Do you have any previously undrafted players on your list that are draftworthy? I'm thinking of guys like last year's Trevor Lewis, Andreas Nodl, Bumagin, Berra and the likes.

turnbuckle*

Turnbuckle, I almost feel like I should be paying you or something. In regards to your recent posts, if any of that is directed to me, my apologies. My posts are designed to help me learn my craft, by trying to figure out where to place the most emphasis on a player. I start with talent and work from there, I am having a hard time trying to figure out how much "character" should play in this. Not everybody is a Ryan Smyth. I am more inclined to give allowances in respect to character if the skills that just can't be taught are there in spades, so my digging at you in regards to Esposito is just me trying to pick your brain trying to figure out how to balance everything a scout needs to consider when rating a prospect. There's a guy I argue with alot here and on the Hawks forum, 50, who you have pegged as a "I know everything so everybody should do as i say, and just because I've never seen X player play, I still know if he's great or a bum" so I emphasise with you. Overall I very much respect yours and the ISS guys opinions, even if they don't exactly match up with mine, for the most part we seem to be in the same ballpark. Having said that "IMO" especially after scouting him Wed night, I can see Voracek going top 5, maybe top 3. I like him better than Turris (who I studied intently through video), also I am hoping for a big playoff from Espo, though with their goaltending, they may bow out first round, so that my head scout will be confident picking him with our first pick (at this point, will probably be the 8-12 pick.

I didn't have any problem with your posts - let's just keep this on hockey please as Montreal requested.

I really like Voracek as well - and personally - I think he may be worthy of a top five pick. He's been climbing back up my draft chart the past couple of months after a bit of a lull in his play.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Does anyone have the reason why Couture suddenly jumped up 5 places?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
As someone who has covered the BCHL a bit this year, I'm curious as to where you have the non-Turris guys like Pierro-Zabotel, Winnett, Nash and (if you guys even have him ranked) Benn.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't know where he's been at from month to month in anybody's rankings, but if he does move up anywhere, perhaps there's an effect from his return from injury and mono... and that in his returns he has been pretty amazing, showing so many facets to his game that it has really made it clear that any subpar showings he might have had at times earlier in the season (which might in some way have contributed to any previous dips in his rankings?) truly were artifacts of the health problems. :dunno:

turnbuckle*

Sure do. he's playing a lot better than he was six weeks ago. I think he's finally fully recovered from the mono. Had a couple of outstanding games in the past two weeks that had the whole scouting world buzzing. He's skating better, and that's the only real issue scouts have with his game.

turnbuckle*

Asked this question on the other one... but it probably got lost in the tumultuous process that went on :D

Just curious to see how in McKenn's opinion has the Aliu recent turn of event hurt him in the ranking, and where is Veilleux listed?

Also, As for Goalie Most people like Cann but how abour Sexsmith?

Just can imagine how bad he got teased with his name :D

We put Aliu back to where he was before the Top Prospects game - out of the top two rounds. As Iain said to me "I knew I never should have raised him."

Players with the character issues of Aliu have to be pretty special to crack the top 50. We seriously can't see a team taking a chance on him until the third round now, but all it takes is one dissenting team that thinks they can groom him.

Veilleux is in the middle of the second. We are not fans of his grit/determination, or lack thereof. I personally wouldn't look at him befero the 50th pick - i don't think he's the type of guy that will do you any good in a tight playoff match.

Sexsmith doesn't have a lot of fans in the scouting world that i'm aware of. I think most scouts believe he's the product of a solid system moreso than he's a great goalie. We have him as the third ranked WHL goalie behind Mucha, and Rowat. we have liked what we've seen from Andrew Loverock of late, and actually ranked him ahead of Cann.

I really like Cann, but the pro scouting word on him is that they wonder if his size/style will translate well to the pro game. Scouts are worried about his height and being beat over the shoulders at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->