McKeen's top 30 for February

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
The list seems pretty solid from the names I recognized and/or know about.

Why do I keep hearing that this is a weak draft or a draft with no depth? Is that an accurate statement?

turnbuckle*

Turnbuckle, do you know at what position Alex Grant is rank ?

Thanks
we have Grant ranked in the third round, but he's capable of so much more. folks may recall he was one of the most highly touted '89's two years ago and wa the first pick in the QMJHL draft.

There are whispers that he's starting to figure it out mentally - if that's the case he's a candidate to rise in the rankings the last couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
what's the scoop on alex plante?

he has good size at 6'5" and 220 lbs. he seems to have a scoring touch with 38 points in 58 games. his plus minus is good at +18. he seems to play it rough with 81 pims. it is only his second junior season, so there is time to learn. also, he's born in may of 1989, so he is young compared to some of the other prospects. this should allow for time to improve, too.

judging by stats (yes, i know, you can't judge it by stats), he looks like a great project. yet, he's not in the top 30. what gives? is he slow as molasses? is he a headcase? obviously, something is holding him back as, on the face of it, he looks like just as solid a prospect as his teammate, karl alzner.

thanks in advance for the info.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He dogs it on the ice - does that not make one have a concern about a player's attitude? Don't try to read too much into comments and try to invent things about a player please; it's much too common an occurrence around here,and I'm not insinuating that he's uncoachable or anything like that. I think I've gone into enough negative details about his character. He's still a helluva prospect who could end u first overall if he decides to work, as I stated earlier.

No more questions about Espo's character please - I'm not his psychologist.;)

I didn't invent anything; merely asking a question. When it's said that a player has a poor attitude, it conjures up certain images, and I was only asking for clarification.

"Dogging it" could be as simple as a conditioning issue, and have nothing at all to do with a player's attitude.

turnbuckle*

The list seems pretty solid from the names I recognized and/or know about.

Why do I keep hearing that this is a weak draft or a draft with no depth? Is that an accurate statement?

It's probably the weakest crop since 2002 - not a poor draft, but lacking star power I think it would be safe to say. Most scouts contend that last year's top five would be this year's top five as well.

The best quality of this draft is the defencemen - a better crop than last year. Not as strong up front or in net though.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
It's probably the weakest crop since 2002 - not a poor draft, but lacking star power I think it would be safe to say. Most scouts contend that last year's top five would be this year's top five as well.

The best quality of this draft is the defencemen - a better crop than last year. Not as strong up front or in net though.

Interesting. The impression that I got was that '07 was forward strong, defenseman weak and goalie pathetic.

turnbuckle*

I didn't invent anything; merely asking a question. When it's said that a player has a poor attitude, it conjures up certain images, and I was only asking for clarification.

"Dogging it" could be as simple as a conditioning issue, and have nothing at all to do with a player's attitude.

When I see the guy standing still in his own end 10 seconds after he gets on the ice while everyone else is battling, I don't surmise that it's a conditioning issue, I surmise that it's an attitude issue. And I've seen it again and again and again. That to me is an attitude problem. When you see that in his draft year...yes, it does conjure up visions of Daigle.

turnbuckle*

Interesting. The impression that I got was that '07 was forward strong, defenseman weak and goalie pathetic.

compared to last year; nope - defence is better, forwards and goalies worse.

the second defenceman was taken 16th overall last season - this year there should be between 4-8 defencemen taken by then.
Last year nine of the top ten picks were forwards, and four goalies were taken in the first.

This year there may be one or two goalies picked later in the first round, and there may be as many as a dozen defencemen selected.

turnbuckle*

I see that you put John Negrin in your top 30...can you tell me more about him.

Thanks

He's a smooth defenceman; low panic threshold. Really solid in his own end, plays a smart game, skates well.

turnbuckle*

what's the scoop on alex plante?

he has good size at 6'5" and 220 lbs. he seems to have a scoring touch with 38 points in 58 games. his plus minus is good at +18. he seems to play it rough with 81 pims. it is only his second junior season, so there is time to learn. also, he's born in may of 1989, so he is young compared to some of the other prospects. this should allow for time to improve, too.

judging by stats (yes, i know, you can't judge it by stats), he looks like a great project. yet, he's not in the top 30. what gives? is he slow as molasses? is he a headcase? obviously, something is holding him back as, on the face of it, he looks like just as solid a prospect as his teammate, karl alzner.

thanks in advance for the info.

Skating is the big issue with Alex obviously, but he's working on it. Biggest problem is being beaten to outside by speedy wingers. One scout went so far as to say "that type of defenceman is becoming extinct at the NHL level."

Most think he can overcome that weakness to a certain extent due to his great work ethic.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When I see the guy standing still in his own end 10 seconds after he gets on the ice while everyone else is battling, I don't surmise that it's a conditioning issue, I surmise that it's an attitude issue. And I've seen it again and again and again. That to me is an attitude problem. When you see that in his draft year...yes, it does conjure up visions of Daigle.

That's all I was looking for - a little elaboration of what constituted his purported attitude problems. Thanks.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

A strange comparison. For all his "attitude" issues, that is not an example that would apply to Daigle.

turnbuckle*

So do you have any thoughts on Alzner? He's been relatively high on everyones list for a while now but doesnt seem to get alot of talk I dont think

Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Alzner doesn't get a lot of talk because he's not flashy. I'd compare him to an Adam Foote type defenceman in that regard. Will play in the NHL for 15+ seasons and play well. One of the more NHL ready defencemen (in his draft year) of the past ten drafts - could probably step into an NHL lineup next season and not embarrass himself.

We're interviewing Alzner (and his parents) for our March issue - he'll be our feature story.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What?? Daigle never dogged it? Strange that you would disagree.

Not really in the way you described it. When Daigle was drafted he was known for his two cross-checking and hitting from behind suspensions in the Q that year, as well as his cross check on Forsberg in the WJC, after which he brandished his stick like a sword towards the rest of team Sweden. It probably added to his draft value at the time, even though it wasn't a good indication of the type of pro he would become. He also wasn't lazy per se, although he certainly did look for the break-out pass when in his own zone. Comparing Esposito and Daigle in their draft years might seem like a good comparison in some ways, but the standing around for 10 seconds while the rest of his team worked analagy doesn't really apply. At least not from what I saw in Victoriaville that year (which was only a half dozen games). Sorry to nit-pick.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
first off, the only thing daigle was dogging was Sheryl Crow and Pam Anderson :sarcasm:

I don't know if you would be privy to it, but turnbuckle, could you tell us about players you feel could be a steal in relation to their current position, and on top of that, your favorite prospects in this draft?

There are so many questions about the top 30, and we all appreciate you answering them, but it would be nice to hear you shed some light on some other guys...thanks in advance.

turnbuckle*

Not really in the way you described it. When Daigle was drafted he was known for his two cross-checking and hitting from behind suspensions in the Q that year, as well as his cross check on Forsberg in the WJC, after which he brandished his stick like a sword towards the rest of team Sweden. It probably added to his draft value at the time, even though it wasn't a good indication of the type of pro he would become. He also wasn't lazy per se, although he certainly did look for the break-out pass when in his own zone. Comparing Esposito and Daigle in their draft years might seem like a good comparison in some ways, but the standing around for 10 seconds while the rest of his team worked analagy doesn't really apply. At least not from what I saw in Victoriaville that year (which was only a half dozen games). Sorry to nit-pick.

you're right - you certainly are nitpicking. Nowhere did i compare Espo to Daigle in his draft year - Daigle was much better, and didn't dog. Someone mentioned a comparison to Daigle, and I concurred. Nowhere was it mentioned by me that the comparison was from junior hockey only. If that were the case Daigle would never have gone first overall in his draft year - would he have? Not if he was playing the way Espo is right now.

turnbuckle*

first off, the only thing daigle was dogging was Sheryl Crow and Pam Anderson :sarcasm:

I don't know if you would be privy to it, but turnbuckle, could you tell us about players you feel could be a steal in relation to their current position, and on top of that, your favorite prospects in this draft?

There are so many questions about the top 30, and we all appreciate you answering them, but it would be nice to hear you shed some light on some other guys...thanks in advance.

well - we have a "sleepers and risers" page in our draft digest that directly answers your question - wouldn't really be fair to our subscribers to up and reveal what we state in the magazine to you prospects, but I hope you understand that we can't be telling you everything that's in the mag, or no one will bother to buy it.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Alzner doesn't get a lot of talk because he's not flashy. I'd compare him to an Adam Foote type defenceman in that regard. Will play in the NHL for 15+ seasons and play well. One of the more NHL ready defencemen (in his draft year) of the past ten drafts - could probably step into an NHL lineup next season and not embarrass himself.

We're interviewing Alzner (and his parents) for our March issue - he'll be our feature story.

I know you hate making comparisons(and I don't think you were making a direct one to Foote), but isn't there a better one for Alzner?

I know who I'd compare him to, in terms of style...

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Will the Habs be trading up in the draft now, with two picks in the 1st? Or will one of those picks already be gone before the draft?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Got my copy of the Draft Digest February Edition today. How come Dustin Jeffrey does not even make the top 300?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
From webcast...Zubov, Zubov, Zubov. Redden's not the nastiest defender in the league, but he's got much more bite than Alzner. It certainly is not the end of the world that Alzner isn't mean, and it should be noted that it doesn't make him less passionate or driven by being somewhat passive. It's just his game, but at the same time there's plenty of time to gain confidence, maturity, and physicality. It's funny; if he had that extra element he'd be far and away the best player in this draft IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad