McKeen's top 12 for December

turnbuckle*

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=621152

What originally looked like a bumper crop of first-round talent from the WHL is being tempered somewhat by disappointing performances.

No better example can be found than in Colton Gillies. Entering this season the hulking Saskatoon Blades' center was a top-ten prospect on virtually everyone's list, but he has been so unproductive through the first half of the season that he's now a longshot to ever return to the top ten.

"He can't score," said one scout who is not a big fan. "He was a star at the under 18's, but he has (five goals after half a season). A great skater, a big kid, but if you don't score in junior, what are you going to do in the NHL? There's a lack of hockey sense."

(the middle part of this deleted by Irish Blues - see site guidelines on copying/pasting entire articles; for those interested, you can find this in the link above)

Here are the top 30 for December 2006:

1 Angelo Esposito
2 Karl Alzner
3 Jakub Voracek
4 Patrick Kane
5 Sam Gagner
6 Keaton Ellerby
7 Sergei Korostin
8 Kyle Turris
9 Logan Couture
10 James van Riemsdyk
11 Jonathon Blum
12 Mark Katic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions; feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Last year, there was pretty much a consensus on the top 6 by this point. This year, guys seem to be all over the place after Esposito, Kane, Voracek and Gagner - and even those four aren't consistently in the top 4 themselves.

turnbuckle*

Last year, there was pretty much a consensus on the top 6 by this point. This year, guys seem to be all over the place after Esposito, Kane, Voracek and Gagner - and even those four aren't consistently in the top 4 themselves.

I was thinking the exact same thing - I'd also argue that any of the top six picks would be considered first overall picks this season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jeremy Smith is the only goalie ranked in the first round? Interesting. He's had a great year for Plymouth. I hope he'll get considered for the U.S. WJC team next year.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
I would suspect JVR will go higher. The last two to come out of the NTDP as top scorers have been Phil Kessel and Pat Kane. And both seem to be doing fine. Pat's position at 4 could likely be better had he been bigger. But at 1.5 per game in the NTPD's NCAA schedule and at 6'3", James should end up considerably higher than 10th.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I would suspect JVR will go higher. The last two to come out of the NTDP as top scorers have been Phil Kessel and Pat Kane. And both seem to be doing fine. Pat's position at 4 could likely be better had he been bigger. But at 1.5 per game in the NTPD's NCAA schedule and at 6'3", James should end up considerably higher than 10th.

These rankings are still somewhat early all things considered. I think as things progress into the 3rd quarter you'll see alot of movement in the top 15. He has moved up on our list though, as have others such as Turris and Alzner as players establish themselves. If he has a good WJC, you'll most definitely see him rise, maybe even establish himself in the top 5 or possibly top 3.

turnbuckle*

There's a reason why scouts don't just sit at home, look at the stats and the size of the player, and make a determination. Stefan Meyer would have been a top five pick if that was the case. I'm not saying Riemer is as poor a skater as Meyer, just that you can't just look at the stats. The next Chad Kilger is just around the corner (i.e. great size, stats and skating in junior, medicocrity in NHL).

Looking at the size and stats only Cory Urquhart should have been a top 20 pick in 2003. Based on size and stats Eric Chouinard should have been selected ahead of Simon Gagne (wait a minute......)

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
There's a reason why scouts don't just sit at home, look at the stats and the size of the player, and make a determination.

I don't disagree. If they did, OBrien would go undrafted. Even so, OBrien's consistently playing against kids between 1 and 4 years older than he...in arguably the most challenging league of its kind in the world.

Just as I believe that you can't just look at stats...I believe also you can't just judge skating skills without taking into account competition. And in JVR case, competition is now consistently many years older.

I still think he goes well before 10.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
The list looks good. My exception would be Katic. Yes, he can skate like an NHler and then some but that size really looks like a problem and I'm not sure his vision is on par with his skating. He doesn't always do the right thing, or even a decisive thing, with the puck once he enters the offensive zone.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's a reason why scouts don't just sit at home, look at the stats and the size of the player, and make a determination. Stefan Meyer would have been a top five pick if that was the case. I'm not saying Riemer is as poor a skater as Meyer, just that you can't just look at the stats. The next Chad Kilger is just around the corner (i.e. great size, stats and skating in junior, medicocrity in NHL).

He certainly isn't as poor a skater as Meyer. He isn't a poor skater at all. I've watched him for a few years now. Kids got some real solid wheels and can be pretty shifty at times. No idea why "poor skating" would be brought up in a conversation about JVR at all...

SpecialK

Nov 19, 2006
Canada
Great to see Alzner at 2. Sort of a suprise but very good nonetheless.
He has a great, well rounded game. Wont be a superstar but still has great potential.

Espo first though? That doesnt make sense after him not making the WJ squad

I know its been said, but if Turris were in the WHL he would be top 3 hands down.
He has awsome speed and a heck of a shot. If you get a chance to go see him I highly recomend doing so.

turnbuckle*

I don't disagree. If they did, OBrien would go undrafted. Even so, OBrien's consistently playing against kids between 1 and 4 years older than he...in arguably the most challenging league of its kind in the world.

Just as I believe that you can't just look at stats...I believe also you can't just judge skating skills without taking into account competition. And in JVR case, competition is now consistently many years older.

I still think he goes well before 10.

JVR has the skills, but when you keep getting back disappointing reports from scouts you can't put him in the top five right now IMO. It's not like we have bums listed ahead of them; all have their strong points and weak points, just like JVR.

I talked to a head scout yesterday who told me he's watched van Riemsdyk four times this season, and he was a disappointment each time. ther's no way he's got him close to his top five at this point, but if he puts it together and plays up to his potential the next few times he sees him he may end up in his top five. The size/skill package is there.

I don't quite follow you with the O'Brien comment. He's 6-2..so size isn't a problem, and he managed a two-goal game against Michigan as a 17-year-old rookie in the NCAA playing against guys up to six years older than him. If you look strictly at the 'stats' he's a draftee without question.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
And what happened to nick Petricki? He was ranked in most top5 in the beginning of the season...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No idea where these supposed skating problems come in with JVR, though, turnbuckle. It's something that's never really been an issue with him either in his earlier play or play this year. He's not a world beater, but it isn't something that'd hold him back at any level, either. He has a fantastic top speed to his game as well.

turnbuckle*

The list looks good. My exception would be Katic. Yes, he can skate like an NHler and then some but that size really looks like a problem and I'm not sure his vision is on par with his skating. He doesn't always do the right thing, or even a decisive thing, with the puck once he enters the offensive zone.

Believe me; we've had many a discussion about Katic. He was in the 20s on our; now he's 12th; next month we may have him 30 LOL. He's had some good games lately tho..

I saw him play recently; and what you said about his vision is very true - I didn't see him create a lot in the offensive zone, and when he's headmanning the puck sometimes he does a great job, other times he doesn't.

As far as his size goes; I didn't see it as that much of a problem defensively; he's quite difficult to beat one-on-one for instance, and is adept at taking the puck form the opposing forward. No he's not going to be a bruiser in front of the net, but he's thick and strong on his skates; I see some Francis Bouillon in him without the physicalness.

But his skating is incredible; he just dances on his skates. It's not only NHL calibre; it's elite NHL calibre IMO. I see him as a much better version of Trevor Daley, and he was a first rounder that is now an NHL regular.

turnbuckle*

And what happened to nick Petricki? He was ranked in most top5 in the beginning of the season...

We have Petrecki 14th.

There is no doubt that he bring the physical package, but there are negatives in his game.

Here's a report from one scout:

"Petrecki is a beast, big, very mean, excellent mobility - but
he's not that great with the puck and is very undisciplined - like a bull in a china shop. He's a project in terms of his discipline - cant control his temper at all - will run at people without provocation - comes across almost as stupid sometimes."

A young "Charlie" Manson in the making? Clarkie would probably take him first overall if he was still GM of the Flyers LOL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jack Johnson was plagued with the same problems of undiciplined play and actually did some of the stuff that Petrecki has done as well. Doesn't worry me in the least. I'd rather have a firecracker than someone who is too passive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->