mckeen's top 10

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Last season and the year before watching Ellerby I always thought he had top ten potential, but I have to say that number 2 for him right now is quite shocking.

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the prospective draft class just yet, but when Ellerby came through and played in Calgary against the Hitmen not too long, I was more than impressed. He scored twice, and looked very comfortable leading the rush up the ice. For a guy his size, he skates really well. #2 might be too high, but he defintely showed a good package of skills that night.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
shows you how far tristin llewellyn has dropped in their minds. if i remember correctly he was in their top 10 last list they made, now hes not in the top 30. as i thought, blum has risen from 60th to 12th, i still think he has a shot to go higher then petrecki too.

i think that at least one defenseman from this years ntdp team will go last 1st also. theres some good solid defensemen like shattenkirk, ruth, lavin, and cole. if size is overlooked fairchild could go very high too.

Tristin Llewellyn will probably keep dropping unless he shows a reason that he should go higher. I see him dropping like Wes O'Neil did a few years ago.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I know statitsics don't tell the entire story but I don't understand why anyone would have Kane over Gagner at this point. Gagner has 7 more points and is a year younger, slightly bigger, even though he is a little less flashy I feel from what I have seen (OHL Action Pak) Gagner seems to be a lot smarter with the puck and tends to make the right descion consistently. I am a fan of Mckeens, there yearbook this year is the best and no one is even remotely close imo, but I have to say I disagree with Kane over Gagner.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
I don't understand how Logan Couture drops that much. I mean, I can see 5 spots or so..but 9?

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
isnt ruslan supposed to be the best of the two.

I've seen 2 games of the remparts this year and and Roy splited the line with esposito playing with roman and aubin(20YO) and Ruslan is on the 2nd line.
Ruslan is a better prospect because he 2 inches taller and 15pds bigger than his bro but he doesn't look much better, both are very good players.
Roman will obiously get more points playing with Esposito so the stats won't mean much for the scouts, unless ruslan can carry the 2nd line and boost his draft stock.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
So are Roman and Ruslan twins? I've never heard of these players.. anyone got any info on these guys? Can they even be drafted in 07?

yes they are twins. and both of course is eligible for the 07 draft. ruslan had a very impressive u-18 wjc last season scoring 6 goals and 2 assists in 6 games. roman did not play ( dont know why). all i can say is that ruslan looked very skilled and had very good speed. someone else who has seen them in the Q this season can probably give you a better scouting report. i have only seen ruslan in one game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i dont see why voracek is rated so high. Hes a good skater and has good perimeter speed, but he lacks strength and size. I dont think he will be #1 in a few months, reminds me of martin havlat, but i think there are a few better players in this draft.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i dont see why voracek is rated so high. Hes a good skater and has good perimeter speed, but he lacks strength and size. I dont think he will be #1 in a few months, reminds me of martin havlat, but i think there are a few better players in this draft.

remember that the top end talent in this draft isn't as good as previous years. none of voracek, esposito or couture would have gone top 5 in 06 imo. overall i think the 07 draft is better then 06. it just doesnt have anywhere near the top end talent.

CH Wizard

He's listed as 6'1 188lbs on the q site...I've seen him myself, he gets pushed from the puck easily but he has nice speed and hands. I like how he cuts to the net...he's really skilled. He doesn't lack size but upper body strenght...he still has time to fill up his frame. He'll go top 10 at the very worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He's listed as 6'1 188lbs on the q site...I've seen him myself, he gets pushed from the puck easily but he has nice speed and hands. I like how he cuts to the net...he's really skilled. He doesn't lack size but upper body strenght...he still has time to fill up his frame. He'll go top 10 at the very worse.

thats definitely the worst that can happen. i have him at #1 right now, but things can and will change. i had kessel at #1 at this time last year. and i had him at #2 on draft day, but he dropped to #5.

turnbuckle*

I think it's safe to say that 2007 will have one of the weaker high-end group of prospects in recent years - there are no Malkins, Ovechkins, Kovalchuks or Crosbys. Not sure there are any Eric Staals either.

A year ago most of us thought differently, but that is usually the case - we seemingly always hype the following year's draft more than the upcoming one. Espo was going to be better than Jordan Staal (who was all hype because of his brother), Alex Grant, Mark Katic and Nick Petrecki were going to make the defence corps stronger than this year's, etc., etc.

Heck I remember in 1998 being all excited about the upcoming 1999 draft, especially with all the hype I'd been hearing about the European crop including Saprykin, the Sedins, Mezei, Brendl and Stefan. It was going to be the best group of European prospects ever.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think it's safe to say that 2007 will have one of the weaker high-end group of prospects in recent years - there are no Malkins, Ovechkins, Kovalchuks or Crosbys. Not sure there are any Eric Staals either.

A year ago most of us thought differently, but that is usually the case - we seemingly always hype the following year's draft more than the upcoming one. Espo was going to be better than Jordan Staal (who was all hype because of his brother), Alex Grant, Mark Katic and Nick Petrecki were going to make the defence corps stronger than this year's, etc., etc.

Heck I remember in 1998 being all excited about the upcoming 1999 draft, especially with all the hype I'd been hearing about the European crop including Saprykin, the Sedins, Mezei, Brendl and Stefan. It was going to be the best group of European prospects ever.

i think its safe to say that its better then 99. the same top end talent isnt there, but it definitely is a very deep draft with a lot of very good prospects. it just lacks the 1 or 2 super talents that we have been spoiled with for a few years now.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
I don't understand how Logan Couture drops that much. I mean, I can see 5 spots or so..but 9?

Couture began playing the first few games of this season with what was thought to be just a flu virus, but turned out to be mono.
According to an Ottawa Sun article, he left the bench mid-game in Saginaw he was so sick and didn't play the next day's game in London which is his hometown.
One of the new rookies with Ottawa also has mono so it might even be making its way thru the team.

Anyway that might explain why some have dropped him in their rankings, he hasn't played now for 3-4 weeks or so. He will have to rebound from this injury and return to playing when he's healthy, hopefully doesn't rush back too soon, mono is something that can linger for months.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
lol, that was a classic indeed.. i am thinking of the article raving about the '99 draft corp on the '98 THN draft preview :biglaugh:

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004

Yes, but they said the same before the 2003 draft. Deep pool but without a can't miss blue-chip prospect at the top. We all know how it worked out.

UNLIKE RECENT YEARS, THE NHL draft class of 2003 seems to lack a can't-miss prospect. In all the pre-draft chatter, there seems to be no mention of the next Mario Lemieux, Eric Lindros, or Jaromir Jagr.
One is even hard pressed to find comparisons to the most recent so-called franchise players--the Tampa Bay Lightning's Vincent LeCavalier, the Boston Bruins' Joe Thornton, or the Atlanta Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuk.
2003 NHL Draft Preview

Red Line views this year's blue-line brigade in much the same fashion as we see the overall 2003 draft class: lots of solid players and good depth, but not necessarily many eye-popping, marquee talents.
One potential star amid class of solid blue-liners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->