McKeen's New Top 100, March edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Setoguchi had a great year statistically. Did you by chance catch him to see if he developed his game?

Setoguchi didnt have a great year in the dub......he put up some points but he didnt dominate the league like he should have......he should have been one of the top players in the league and a threat every shift........and he wasnt....playoffs coming up though still a chance to save the year.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You people can over-react sometimes. I meant RATED SO HIGH as in #2. He isn't the second best player in the draft, he's not even close to Kessel, Toews etc. yet. He's a top 10 talent, I agree.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I do not know much about Frolik. But in Toews's case. He is a solid player. But he is also a team player. He is out there to win games. Not to just score goals. So if he playes well at both ends. Plays a smart game, he will walk away feeling good and so will the coaches and any who sees him play. If you look in the box score and say well this Towes kid did not score so why is he so high? So i have to wonder about Frolik. If he is one of those team players, that just want to win and is not out there to be flashy or what? I would guess Jagr was out there to score. And he is also the most dominant scorer of the last 10 years. I would hope Frolik played under Jagrs numbers or he would all over the number one spot.

And about Kessel. I hear how much better Staal and Towes are going to be. Does this mean that everyone out there beileves Kessel has peaked and his game is not changing? If that is the case no one has watched him grow this year. Wasn't Modano a hot shot fast American too? Kessel has not stopped growing as a player.

And how cool is it to see 2 future gophers and one current gopher in the top 10.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
J17ster said:
Kessel, Staal, Johnson, Backstrom, Mueller, Sheppard, Brassard, Frolik, Williams, Toews, Bernier to me are all better prospects IMO. Little has no chance of going #6.

Like people have been saying, it all depends on each team's perception of who they are likely to have available. If Florida is drafting 6th, and they decide they want a skill player and that Backstrom won't fit their long-term needs, then maybe they'd settle on Little knowing that he'll be available.

Someone said that a successful draft takes place when you have an expectation of what player you want from a round, and you leave the draft table with most of them in your pocket. For example, that's probably why SJ traded up to get Setoguchi last year - although they most likely could have had him in their original spot, they wanted to make sure.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Alter Haudegen said:
:eek:

Jaromir Jagr (born 15-02-1972)
Season 88/89: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 39 GP - 8 Goals - 10 Assists - 18 Points
Season 89/90: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 51 GP - 30 Goals - 30 Assists - 60 Points
Top goal scorer Czechoslovakian Extraliga playoffs 1989-90
All-Star team Czechoslovakian Extraliga 1989-90

Michael Frolik (born 17-02-1988)
Season 04/05: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 27 GP - 3 Goals - 1 Assist - 4 Points
Season 05/06: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 48 GP - 2 Goals - 7 Assists - 9 Points

And Jagr put this up at a time when the top Czech and Slovakian players still played in the Extraliga.

Ouch.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Anyone ever go back and see where Redline, ISS, Central Scouting ratings list compare to where they actually went in the draft. I find these lists to be questionable as many agents have sway with the listing agencies to get their guys on lists or moved up. I can't believe that the listers have the man power to watch every player over enough time to make an accurate(?) prediction. Sure the top 20 or so picks might be easier than the rest of the picks but there are a lot of guys that fall under the radar with these listers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Big Daddy said:
Anyone ever go back and see where Redline, ISS, Central Scouting ratings list compare to where they actually went in the draft.

Like the old saying goes opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one.

Vic Rattlehead*

J17ster said:
Kessel, Staal, Johnson, Backstrom, Mueller, Sheppard, Brassard, Frolik, Williams, Toews, Bernier to me are all better prospects IMO. Little has no chance of going #6.
I've asked you before but you didn't answer.

Have you ever seen Little play?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Chief is right about the NHL teams' lists- they generally have about 100 players on the lists. Their FINAL (7th round) pick is often about #70 on their own list. No wonder they all think they drafted wonderfully since they got 7 guys in their top 70, 7 guys they all consider top 3 rounders. One reson for this is that there are certain players (many actually) who each team decide they just don't want. For example, "We're not going to draft ANYONE with skating issues" or "If the player hasn't improved noticeably in their draft year- pass on 'em". This practice often eliminates even players who are consensus top 30 with some of the ratings agencies. Tidbits about character, off-ice etc. will also cause some players not to appear on the list at all. So, if you see that McKeen's (for example) says a guy is "soft"- so he's ranked 60th by them rather than 30th- that same criteria will likely cause an NHL team to drop that player from consideration completely.

By the way, the fans' viewpoints that I value here at HF are the people who watch certain teams a lot or are season ticket holders- and compare two players on their own team vis-a-vis what ranking services or scouts say (i.e., Moosehead from Halifax). Such fans may well have insights above many scouts since most NHL scouts don't see most players more than 4 or 5 times each on average (which is often considered an ideal amount).

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
As absolutely brutal a post as this is it's partly right..........Staal's pedigree raised him 5-7 spots easy on this list imo.......no chance is he 2 on this list......likley not top 5.......ive got him at 8 or 9. That said with his brother doing so well in the NHL this year there is no way he falls past 5.

Does anyone happen to know where Codey Burki is on the new list? THanks

Originally Jordan was probably ranked higher because of the name, and the quote from awhile ago that he might be the best of the Staal's, but his play and potential has got him ranked so high this season.

As for Little 19bruins19 his upsides to me are not that high.

Default101

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Bryan Little has fallen also....kind of surprising to me.

Where did they rank Foligno?
from what i heard he recieved a mild concussion in the last 2 games of the season via scott lehman, must not have been that bad cuase he scored a goal in the first game last night... but he might have automatically been dropped down if the ratings were but up between the 2, otherwise i have no idea, i tihnk he'd be good at 6

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Alter Haudegen said:
I think the problem is that most likely you have only seen him against older players (WJC and NCAA). If you look at competitions where he played against his own age he has been outstanding. He led Team Western to its first U17 title at last years U17 WHC with 8 goals and 4 assists in 6 games and he also led Canada to a gold medal at this years U18 WC with 5 goals and 4 assist in 5 games (both times he was top scorer and best player of the tournament).

Though thats the case with everyplayer in this draft that I know of.

Don't get me wrong, I've only seen Towes in two games in the WCH. I am not saying that he will be a bust or that he isn't a worthy top 3 pick. A player who isn't physically developt at draft day naturally have allot of development left in him.

Though as far as I've remembered there haven't been a player comming from the CHL's as undeveloped (at the time of the WCH) as Towes who have been picked top 5. At the WCH he was at the same level Spezza where a year younger then Towes.

Personally I wouldn't have any problems if my team took Towes because of the potential, but looking at the norm a player like him aren't usually picked top 3.

A Good Flying Bird*

RangerBoy said:

Power forward.More effective in smaller NA rinks

Wow. Robert Nyholm is 51st?
The kid gets no love on these boards. Even on the Finnish board he's an afterthought.
Good news. And I think McKeen's nailed it.
He was sensational in Ann Arbor at the 4 Nations last year. Earlier kast year, he led Finland at Viking Cup. His game seems suited to the high traffic North American game.

Hmm. So McKeen's stole my draft steal.
Damn.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Alter Haudegen said:
:eek:

Jaromir Jagr (born 15-02-1972)
Season 88/89: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 39 GP - 8 Goals - 10 Assists - 18 Points
Season 89/90: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 51 GP - 30 Goals - 30 Assists - 60 Points
Top goal scorer Czechoslovakian Extraliga playoffs 1989-90
All-Star team Czechoslovakian Extraliga 1989-90

Michael Frolik (born 17-02-1988)
Season 04/05: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 27 GP - 3 Goals - 1 Assist - 4 Points
Season 05/06: HC Kladno (Extraliga) - 48 GP - 2 Goals - 7 Assists - 9 Points

And Jagr put this up at a time when the top Czech and Slovakian players still played in the Extraliga.
What fails to get mentioned is ice time. The talk of Frolik going to Rimouski pretty much stems from his lack of ice time. The kid is getting shafted by Kladno as much as he did at the WJC.

Plus why is he getting compared to the best euro ever? He's more of a two way player in the mold of a Havlat or Elias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->