McKeen's New Top 100, March edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalLeka

Feb 22, 2005
If Jesse would learn the art of passing, he'd go in the first round easily. He's been improving his play in the last few rounds of the Finnish Elite League, I think.

Should go higher than #36 :)

pumpd

Mar 23, 2006
Now of all these players, how many will make a good impact in the nhl next year....

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
pumpd said:
Now of all these players, how many will make a good impact in the nhl next year....

That's pretty tough, as there really aren't any finished products out there. At the top end, EJ, Staal, Mueller and Toews definitely need more time.

Kessel might have a shot - he is a bit older and certainly has the NHL speed, but I would still be surprised if someone rushed him along, as he is still learning to adapt his skills and moves to the NCAA game. He would also need to sign a contract to attend camp, which is a risk, so again, unlikely.

Backstrom is already playing well against men, so he is one guy I would think would have a shot.. Tlusty and Frolik are playing in pro leagues and could be signed and brought over for camp and eligible to play in the AHL, so if they impressed, either could possibly make a NHL roster. For them, they might be given more of an apportunity to make the team because of their situation.

But the one guy I think will possibly crack the NHL is Bryan Little. Like Kessel, he is a little bit older and he also plays a very mature game. He really doesn't need another year in junior, and is strong enough on his skates he wouldn't be overwhelmed in the NHL. Despite being draft eligible, he is generally regarded as a solid veteran in the OHL in all aspects of his game - not to mention being one of the top offensive players in the league.

So in the end, Backstrom and Little would be my two best bets, but it wouldn't surprise me if none of the draftees made the NHL either.

xtra said:
Not trying to be rude or insult anyone who will get offended here but why is Toews so high up? he doesn't strike me as anything special that should go at the top of a draft (is this draft really that weak?) or am i missing something totally here?

Since the World Juniors he's been averaging a point per game which is probably more than what you'd expect from a 17 year old in college hockey.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
OilerOlli said:
I am 100% sure that Frolik will be picked in the top 10, if not some teams are really stupid!
That McKeen List seems to be really dumb.
Then you'd definitely find any NHL team's list even dumber. I can absolutely guarantee you that EVERY NHL team will have players who are found on McKeen, ISS, Young Guns, Redlines top 40 not in their lists at all. I would bet my firstborn that some teams don't have Bryan Little in their top 100 or Ben Shutron listed at all or Jon Bernier not in their top 12 goalies. You'd be sure to see some teams with rankings like David Fischer top 5, Codey Burki top 8, Simon Denis-Papin top 15. I guarantee it. BTW, I'm just picking these names out as examples of what you might expect.

"Dumb" on HF often means "doesn't match what I read from another ranking agency". :teach:

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Yeah theres a big difference between "scouting" some player by reading on them and going to see them play.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
steblick said:
. . . EVERY NHL team will have players who are found on McKeen, ISS, Young Guns, Redlines top 40 not in their lists at all. I would bet my firstborn that some teams don't have Bryan Little in their top 100 or Ben Shutron listed at all or Jon Bernier not in their top 12 goalies. You'd be sure to see some teams with rankings like David Fischer top 5, Codey Burki top 8, Simon Denis-Papin top 15. I guarantee it. BTW, I'm just picking these names out as examples of what you might expect.

"Dumb" on HF often means "doesn't match what I read from another ranking agency". :teach:
What little I have seen of actual team's lists (on the LeafsTV show "Behind the Draft") corroborates your point. For instance, I believe the Leafs had Matt Stajan ranked immediately behind Alex Steen in 2002. Presumably if Steen had been picked, they would have used their 1st rounder on Stajan.

This also accounts for the apparent strangeness of Central Scouting's list, much mocked by some fans who can hardly know as much as the the guys who do it for a living.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
steblick said:
Then you'd definitely find any NHL team's list even dumber. I can absolutely guarantee you that EVERY NHL team will have players who are found on McKeen, ISS, Young Guns, Redlines top 40 not in their lists at all. I would bet my firstborn that some teams don't have Bryan Little in their top 100 or Ben Shutron listed at all or Jon Bernier not in their top 12 goalies. You'd be sure to see some teams with rankings like David Fischer top 5, Codey Burki top 8, Simon Denis-Papin top 15. I guarantee it. BTW, I'm just picking these names out as examples of what you might expect.

Bang on. Which is why I find lists like Red Line so refreshing versus McKeens, ISS, Younguns etc. There is very little difference between the latter lists. Even Red Lines this year is pretty similar though.

This also why players like Hudler, O'Sullivan and Latendresse drop to the middle of the second round, when posters are better their first born they will never fall out of the top 15. NHL lists would blow people away.

Although the funny thing is, a lot of those players who drop, it always seems like teams maybe should have looked at the available scouting lists. All three of those guys would have been steals in the late first round - or so it seems at this point anyway. It makes the arm-chair scouts think they are pretty smart sometimes anyway.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Bang on. Which is why I find lists like Red Line so refreshing versus McKeens, ISS, Younguns etc. There is very little difference between the latter lists. Even Red Lines this year is pretty similar though.

This also why players like Hudler, O'Sullivan and Latendresse drop to the middle of the second round, when posters are better their first born they will never fall out of the top 15. NHL lists would blow people away.

Although the funny thing is, a lot of those players who drop, it always seems like teams maybe should have looked at the available scouting lists. All three of those guys would have been steals in the late first round - or so it seems at this point anyway. It makes the arm-chair scouts think they are pretty smart sometimes anyway.
It's usually impossible to say with certainty why a player falls. Even though the media sometimes acts as if there has been an official press release : "Dimitri Vorobiev is dropping due to showing up in poor condition at the combine. More later . . ."

But when Latendresse fell (and I wanted the Leafs to take him, but Rask was okay too) he only needed to be each team's second choice. Though that scenario is unlikely, he could easily have been high up on most team's lists, but just not at the top of the board when it came time to pick. Montreal was the beneficiary.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
timlap said:
It's usually impossible to say with certainty why a player falls. Even though the media sometimes acts as if there has been an official press release : "Dimitri Vorobiev is dropping due to showing up in poor condition at the combine. More later . . ."

But when Latendresse fell (and I wanted the Leafs to take him, but Rask was okay too) he only needed to be each team's second choice. Though that scenario is unlikely, he could easily have been high up on most team's lists, but just not at the top of the board when it came time to pick. Montreal was the beneficiary.

I think most reasons that players drop are

1) We didn't think he'd be available so we hardly scouted him. Not sure why everyone else passed but we've got someone we like almost as much that we did our homework on so were takeing him.

2) The player is hit or miss and the scouting staff wants to make sure that they get a player with their first couple selections.

3) They know things we don't.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
West said:

1) We didn't think he'd be available so we hardly scouted him. Not sure why everyone else passed but we've got someone we like almost as much that we did our homework on so were takeing him.

2) The player is hit or miss and the scouting staff wants to make sure that they get a player with their first couple selections.

Yeah often teams will probably know the player who is falling should be picked alot higher, but there is somebody still on the board who they like more.
If you look at recent players whose stock has dropped, its often because of injuries or a flaw in their game e.g Schremp had "supposed" attitude issues.
Of course they also know more about the players then scouting services or we do.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
West said:

Those are all good suggestions. Number one, especially, seems reasonable to me.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
King Henry I said:
That's bad news for the Islanders, it seems like any hope that I had of Staal going to them has evaporated. Kessel should still be over him though.
Your hope should not evaporate because of McKeen's list. NHL teams will not be paying attention to it. However, I don't think the Islanders have much hope finishing low enough to get him anyway.

Maithz

hey guys can someone help me , one of guys Ive played with is supposed to be drafted this year I think , Francis Charette who is now with Drummondville , will he be drafted this year , Im kinda curious because I played with when I was 12 and 13 years old . Thanks in advance !

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
xtra said:
Not trying to be rude or insult anyone who will get offended here but why is Toews so high up? he doesn't strike me as anything special that should go at the top of a draft (is this draft really that weak?) or am i missing something totally here?

No doubt we will look back at this draft, in 5 years and see a bunch of surprises. Guys who were not supposed to amount to much may wind up as impact players, but, at this time, all these scouting forecasts can't be wrong. This draft is very weak. I have read on many forecasts that comparisons to the dreaded '02 draft are very likely. Top heavy and then a dramatic drop-off.

What is somewhat puzzling for me about that comparison, is that in '02, there was no doubt who the top 4 guys were all year. The only thing that changed was the order they were chosen and that was because Florida traded down, and still got J-BO who they wanted. This years crop, is very much a crapshoot, and the order they will be chosen is even harder to read. So I guess the talent level may not be very high, but there are enough guys who are seen as comparable to one another that they could go 1st or 5th and it won't be much of a shock.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Jaded-Fan said:
The Redline article, quoted in USAtoday yesterday and now gone from there (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hock...ne-report_x.htm) put him in the third tier of six players (tiers one had three players, tier two four). It specifically mentioned Frolik as a wild card who could fall a bit because of his enormous boom or bust potential.

Wow, i know there is always a faller in the draft every year, but to go from a possible 1st overall pick, as many scouts had him right behind Kessel at the start of the season to outside the top ten is very rare. The draft doesn't have great depth, so if any team can pick Frolik from outside the top ten, they will be very lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad