McKeen's Hockey Prospects website

nyisles4life

May 21, 2003
Does anyone here subscribe to that website? Is the site worth paying 50 bucks a year for? Is it better than Hockey's Future for prospect profiles and prospect rankings? I am thinking about subscribing and I was hoping to get some feedback before I do.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
i dont, so take this for what its worth, but i cant imagine anything on the internet is worth 50 dollars for a subscription. i guess thats the college kid in me :) if you have the dough, its probably worth it, but if you aint rich, i cant see spending that kind of money on it

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty good... I would not subscribe for the whole year though.

Personally I bought a 3 month package for $15 months for April-June. That leads through the draft. I would not look at McKeen's enough for the rest of the year to buy any longer than that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I go with the $5 a month subscription. It has its good points and bad points. They do have good interviews, good blurbs on the playres... but their top 100 isn't updated with any type of schedule.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
nyisles4life said:
Does anyone here subscribe to that website? Is the site worth paying 50 bucks a year for? Is it better than Hockey's Future for prospect profiles and prospect rankings? I am thinking about subscribing and I was hoping to get some feedback before I do.
I had the five dollar a month deal going before the lockout. I used it for about two years, then I cancelled it during the lockout. I haven't gone back to renew it. It's not a bad deal, but I find that the information and writing on there is no better than stuff I can find for free in other places. McKeen's once asked me to do some writing for them when I used to cover the QMJHL. They didn't offer me any money to do it. I made a counter-offer that I would so some writing for them in exchange for a free subsription. They didn't get back to me.

My point in saying all of this is not to bash McKeen's. I buy their NHL hockey annual every year and read it religiously from cover-to-cover. However, the content on their website is written, for the most part, by volunteers from what I could tell. So, the quality and breadth of information available on their website during the time I had a subscription was not much better than what I was able to find on a free site, such as Hockey's Future. I would go to it because I was paying for it, but found that I would go to other free sites just as much, if not more.

McKeens was updated more often than Hockey's Future back then, but Hockey's Future has gotten better. Also, the message boards, on Hockey's Future, while they contain a lot of crap, can be a great source of info on prospects. They're way better than the ones on McKeen's, IMO. There are tons of knowledgeable hockey fans posting on Hockey's Future who are more than happy to share their opinions for free. They just like to talk hockey. It's like an amateur scouts' lounge. You just need to separate the wheat from the chaff. After some experience, you'll learn to know which threads are going nowhere, which posters have a clue, and which ones are "nattering nabobs of negativity."

I've thought of giving McKeen's another try. If you do give it a go, do the month-to-month thing first before you commit to a full year.

:cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad