TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
McGuire doesn't have the even keel you need to have this sort of position. He fluctuates, he's impulsive, he's anything but level headed.

But his basic precepts are what this organisation needs. He was talking earlier on TSN 690 about how the organisation should sit down and make a commitment to better drafting and development.

Well, he's right. Development is key, right from the moment you draft a player, whether it's making sure he takes the proper route (NCAA vs CHL) to getting him the proper coaching at the AHL level. The Habs fail big time there.

But, he's not the guy to get it done, someone else is. Who that someone is, I don't know as hockey's a closed business. But, there has to be a commitment to make a big chance on a fundamental level and which has to include bringing in the right mix of ideas, personnalities and players to the fold.

Right now, the whole team is the same top to bottom. A bunch of vanilla, gutless, talentless yes men.

Reactions: Pickles

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I'm sure he would but that doesn't mean that's a good idea. There's a reason why he hasn't had a job since he coached the Whalers. He talks a big game on the radio but the man isn't qualified to handle a position like that. This his from his Wikipedia page:

After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams. In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations that had been prepared while employed by Hartford to the Edmonton Oilers.

It's pretty evident why he hasn't gotten another NHL job.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification. From what you've shared, it appears doubly important to separate the day to day hockey operations from other unrelated endeavours.

The danger of Molson becoming "one of those owners", like Jones, Steinbrenner, Buss, Loria et al. is very real if he doesn't get his **** together.

You got it. He's been meddling in absolute ridiculous things like logo usage (like, don't you have a marketing team for that???). I mean, come on Geoff. I don't think the prez of Loblaw's meddles in that field. Don't think he has the time of day, nor the interest.

That's just one stupid, tiny example of how this organisation sometimes operate. Imagine the rest.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure he would but that doesn't mean that's a good idea. There's a reason why he hasn't had a job since he coached the Whalers. He talks a big game on the radio but the man isn't qualified to handle a position like that. This his from his Wikipedia page:

After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams. In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations that had been prepared while employed by Hartford to the Edmonton Oilers.

It's pretty evident why he hasn't gotten another NHL job.

Wow...that is powerful stuff. It gets you fired ANYWHERE. Guy has no street smarts, no judgment.

As a business owner, I would NOT hire this guy at a key secretive position.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You got it. He's been meddling in absolute ridiculous things like logo usage (like, don't you have a marketing team for that???). I mean, come on Geoff. I don't think the prez of Loblaw's meddles in that field. Don't think he has the time of day, nor the interest.

That's just one stupid, tiny example of how this organisation sometimes operate. Imagine the rest.
The unit I work for has had to deal with them this year, and I've seen and heard weird stuff surrounding the governance of this organisation (not only the hockey part).
Go on. :)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Wow...that is powerful stuff. It gets you fired ANYWHERE. Guy has no street smarts, no judgment.

As a business owner, I would NOT hire this guy at a key secretive position.

dinodebino?

As in deandebean??

What happened there ??

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just like I can win a lottery. The odds of my winning Lotto Max and the Habs making the playoffs are both significantly insignificant.

Believing in either one is not smart, it's borderline delusional.

Believing one can happen is smart, and rational.

Being one will happen is unrealistic.

There's a difference.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh! no, I understood. You do understand the Habs' business model, right? Club de hockey Canadien inc. is just one leg of a bigger ensemble. And CHC inc. is not just having issues in the hockey department.

Right now, Molson is president of Groupe CH, AND the Habs. It's nonsense.

Molson isn't in the beer decisions anymore BTW. And the condos are another division. Him being president of Groupe CH is good, it's the business model he created. Fine. But the Habs, from top to bottom (and top is not only hockey), are not well run. All departments are faltering. The unit I work for has had to deal with them this year, and I've seen and heard weird stuff surrounding the governance of this organisation (not only the hockey part).

Moar! Details please!
Dean? You Deanthebean?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hahahaha! You finally caught on! Long story. When we changed platforms, my account got jammed up. I decided it was time for a change. :) But that's the real me on the photo. So there!

T'as du Guy A. Lepage en toi :D un ti peu de Richard Martineau aussi.

Was wondering where you went.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Ouan, y'a du chien dans l'nez lui, pis du vécu.

Deandebean wasn't bad either. :D

Yep, un VIEUX chien qui a du vécu. But still lurks on this forum a lot! (a lot less for the Game Threads, as the games bore me right now). I'm fana of the Impact thread, though. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yep, un VIEUX chien qui a du vécu. But still lurks on this forum a lot! (a lot less for the Game Threads, as the games bore me right now). I'm fana of the Impact thread, though. :)

Always fun reading you as you bring a unique perspective, especially when you draw from your journalism days.

And no one blames you not being able to draw enthusiasm for this team -- they got to a point where they don't deserve any.

Reactions: dinodebino

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
The article mention kids that should play like Robert Petrovicky and Robert Smyth. Can you really blame him for not using terrible players?
I remember on Melnick 's show, McGuire talking about rushing players (latendresse, Leblanc), he of course liked the Detroit /grand rapids model of 3-5 years ahl.

He cited an example of him being forced by the organization to play Petrovicky, how he wasnt ready, and how it ruined his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->