TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I pass on PM. Vincent Damphouse doesn’t look to be ready. Mostly influenced by ppl. [MOD] I would gladly welcome Sami Koivu back but he doesn’t speak french so there will be haters

Last edited by a moderator:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This president crap is a red herring.

We don't need a new president, we need a new GM.

If the point of the president is to veto and block the bad moves the GM makes, then your problem is you have a bad GM!

That's not really what a PHO does. He looks after finances and establishes the hierarchy of hockey ops. Generally he's the one to hire and fire GMs. He's the buffer between ownership and the teamt and often represents the team in league matters.

Big moves are discussed for salary implications, for sure, and there would be some collaboration in other GM specific areas. Often the PHO will be the one to negotiate trades, but these things are specific to each team.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He would have more time and space to work on the parts of his game that need improvement... His shot! Hard for him to do this in game action with the way we are playing him. All he can do at this point is put it on net and hit the goalie. I really would like him to develop a better shot and score when he gets into scoring chances.
But he's never going to have the time and space he has in juniors, in the NHL.

if anything, it'll create a false sense of security since when he would eventually return to the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But he's never going to have the time and space he has in juniors, in the NHL.

if anything, it'll create a false sense of security since when he would eventually return to the NHL.

Hard to say but I would like him to work on his game and develop his shot a bit more. He might have a better opportunity to do this in Junior but like I said, I'm not upset he's on our team. He's going to learn a lot in the NHL too. I find it hard to pin point his ceiling potential. Can he get better from where he is at the moment or can he be a solid pairing to Weber as our #1 pair next year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hard to say but I would like him to work on his game and develop his shot a bit more. He might have a better opportunity to do this in Junior but like I said, I'm not upset he's on our team. He's going to learn a lot in the NHL too. I find it hard to pin point his ceiling potential. Can he get better from where he is at the moment or can he be a solid pairing to Weber as our #1 pair next year.
I don't think his shot is ever going to be his strength...perhaps as he gets bigger/stronger with time, the velocity will improve. But he's not a shooter., I don't think he ever will be.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Holmgren fired coach Pierre McGuire after six months.
It was more than a great idea.
It was justice.
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

In 15 years of covering the NHL, we had never seen a coach so universally disrespected and disliked within his own organization.
McGuire fancied himself two parts Scotty Bowman and one part Bob Johnson. It turned out to be a superhuman leap of faith on his part.
At 32, McGuire was the youngest head coach in the NHL. He never had been a head coach at any level. And it showed. He is book smart and X's and O's smart, but often not people smart.
When a young man is so headstrong, so emotional, so calculating, such a control freak, so full of ambition and so full of himself, he will either rocket to the top or crash.

Mcguire's Tenure A Bad Situation

He's done nothing but be a talking head ever since. John Davidson hasn't done much in Columbus. 3 playoff wins and a downward trending team as of now. Talking heads aren't very often good administrators.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think his shot is ever going to be his strength...perhaps as he gets bigger/stronger with time, the velocity will improve. But he's not a shooter., I don't think he ever will be.

That's the problem I have with Mete... I don't expect him to score 10 goals a year but I would like him to develop a better shot so he can take advantage of the open space he generates. His passing ability will be respected more if he had a better shot. Keeps the goalie guessing and it's important. Goalies will look for pass first and not respect his shot... kind of like with Pleky

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I love Pierre. Would be a lot of fun. Not sure how good a candidate he'd be though.

It's easy for people to sit here and say "wow he'd be horrible" but the truth is none of you know.

Reactions: Habsfan2992

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I’d like to start of by saying I dont like Pierre Mcguire, but at this point I’m willing to try anything. I’ve read the article on his stint in Hartford, but that was almost 25 years ago, you would hope he’s matured and learned from his mistakes. I know its all hypothetical but why are we scraping the bottom of the barrel like this anyway, it’s the goddamn Montreal Canadiens we hold our players to higher standards than any other team in the nhl. Why do we go dumpster diving for management personnel.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Bill Belichik for GM, he'd have this team in first in no time. :laugh:
He's on the outs with Kraft too if that ESPN story is true.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This guy has constantly thrown shade at the organization out of anger of them never giving him a chance and he thinks Molson is going to hire him to be a GM or president? I honestly think you’ll see a full Anglo management team before you ever see Pierre Maguire get hired anywhere.

Reactions: Riggins

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Yeah thanks for that Pierre. If the Habs bring on Pierre in any form I think I would be done.
Lol........6 years of the idiot at the helm now hasn't done that yet.........it's done that for me already..........watched 1 game in 2 years.....listen on radio in the background now......that and......boring team.......boring organization.....same crap over and over and over and over lol

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Dean Lombardi would probably be the best president we could get; hes got GM/president experience and 2 stanley cups in post cap era. Then put a guy like Julien Brisebois as GM who is an upcoming riser and would learn from an excellent president, while speaking both languages.

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Dean Lombardi would probably be the best president we could get; hes got GM/president experience and 2 stanley cups in post cap era. Then put a guy like Julien Brisebois as GM who is an upcoming riser and would learn from an excellent president, while speaking both languages.
Lombardi could be a wise move to start, yes........I also like the idea of throwing money toward Stevie Y to come aboard

Reactions: habdynasty

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
What we need are top evaluators of talent. I don't care about personality, past achievements as a player, a class act, etc...

Just bring in people, including the president who can bring in talented players and play a style of play that is suitable for today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad