McGrath, Pohl, Pineault, Schremp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
At one time, these 4 were projected 1st rounders for 2004. These guys are starting to show why they were projected so highly at one point. Pohl, from what I understand, doesn't have what it takes to make the NHL. From what I understand he is a perimeter type player. Evan McGrath really itrigues me, I think he might have been a big-time steal. It seems that these 4 players all had the same problem last year, which is a lack of ice-time. Evan McGrath.....128th overall......I think the Redwings did it again.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
With Schremp it's not the talent that made him slip, it's his attitude, but then again he's still a teenager and I would't say it's uncommon for some youngsters to act a certain way, I personally think the Oilers really got themselves a steal because the kid is easily top 10 in my books, and maybe even top 5.

McGrath is another guy that's playing great, I have no idea what happened to him last year but so far he's playing amazing this year, his whole line is playing great actually, his last game he picked up 4 points (3G and 1A), and from what I hear he's been playing a little tougher or grittier, I also hear he got a little bit bigger which could help him a lot.

I'm not too sure about Pohl but Pineault is another guy who's picked up his game, I think the Jackets have a fine young player in him.

So far McGrath and Pineault look like the first rounders that the scouts thought they could've been, I'm not sure about top 10 but late first rounders at least.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
BIGROCKET said:
At one time, these 4 were projected 1st rounders for 2004. These guys are starting to show why they were projected so highly at one point. Pohl, from what I understand, doesn't have what it takes to make the NHL. From what I understand he is a perimeter type player. Evan McGrath really itrigues me, I think he might have been a big-time steal. It seems that these 4 players all had the same problem last year, which is a lack of ice-time. Evan McGrath.....128th overall......I think the Redwings did it again.

That's not entirely true. Pohl, like most small centers(Pohl is listed at 6'1" but in reality I doubt if he is even 6'), likes to work the perimeter and play a set up role to a scoring winger(he works the perimeter in the same way that Doug Weight does). That said, when Pohl is on top of his game he will occasionally rush to the slot and score goals by himself(which does make defenders back off of him a slight bit). IF he could stay on top of his game he certainly has NHL ability. The problem with Pohl is that, due to his size, he is a little on the fragile side. When Pohl is playing hurt(which he does quite often(he is willing and able to play through pain)) he is limited to that perimeter game and that does limit his effectiveness. As I said, when Pohl is on top of his game he is certainly an NHL caliber center, he is just too small and fragile to stay on top of his game for long periods of time.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With Mcgrath, his poor season last year definitely can not be attributed to lack of ice time. He was being counted on to be the number two center behind Richards and he just didn't step up. And not only did he not step up, he took a step back. He became an unmotivated perimeter player who had lost his sense for creativity.
Definitely a 180 from the player who starred as a rookie for Kitchener and we being touted as a surefire top 15 selection, maybe even 10.

But this year the points are racking up and that's very promising. I have yet to see him play, so I don't know whether he's smartened up and has gone back to being the Mcgrath I saw star for the Oakville Blades Junior A, or the one who was sensational in his rookie OHL campaign. Hopefully for the Red Wings sake, he has because then the Wings have a potential dynamite prospect on their hands.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't know what happened to Adam Pineault last year in college, but he's certainly showing that he is a prospect to be coveted in Moncton this year. I don't understand what kept him from being successful last year. He is a smooth skater with good creativity and playmaking ability, but furthermore he has a good solid shot that is extremely accurate. It doesn't hurt, of course, that he and Steve Bernier have really clicked immediately, either.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JNRhockeyGURU said:
errrrrrrrr? uhhhhhhhh? schremp was a first rounder.

Yeah but I am sure he ment, Schremp was actually ranked for one of the first three players to be picked for a long time then he slipped in the rankings to late 1st round.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't know what happened to Adam Pineault last year in college, but he's certainly showing that he is a prospect to be coveted in Moncton this year. I don't understand what kept him from being successful last year. He is a smooth skater with good creativity and playmaking ability, but furthermore he has a good solid shot that is extremely accurate. It doesn't hurt, of course, that he and Steve Bernier have really clicked immediately, either.

From what i gathered, he wasn't happy with his playing time, because he didn't play at all. Most of the time he was sitting in the press box. He wasn't going to develop like that so he went the junior route.

I think he'll be one hell of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->