Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It was a long time ago but I seem to remember the analysts saying that the Flyers wanted Sanguinetti. Am I remembering wrong?
I'm sure at some point someone said that the Flyers had interest in Sanguinetti or something similar, and that's how "Bobby Clarke forgot Giroux's name because they were about to pick Sanguinetti" became NYR lore. Just like how Boomer tweeting "Sami Vatanen" meant "The Ducks have offered Sami Vatanen to the Rangers in a 1-for-1 deal and the Rangers have rejected it."

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'm sure at some point someone said that the Flyers had interest in Sanguinetti or something similar, and that's how "Bobby Clarke forgot Giroux's name because they were about to pick Sanguinetti" became NYR lore. Just like how Boomer tweeting "Sami Vatanen" meant "The Ducks have offered Sami Vatanen to the Rangers in a 1-for-1 deal and the Rangers have rejected it."
I think sometime recently on Friedman’s podcast they told the Bobby Clarke story and that Sanguinetti thing is true, but they wanted some center (I forget who and I think ended up busting) even more than Sanguinetti, they were super in love with him, then he gets taken and Bobby Clarke gets pretty mad, then Sanguinetti was the next guy they wanted. He gets picked right before their picked and Bobby Clarke is furious, so they have to go up and make their pick and he hadn’t calmed down and forgot Giroux’s name because the two guys they were in love with went before they picked when they thought they’d both be there

Reactions: Thirty One

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's negotiating 101 to point out anything negative that can give you leverage to a better deal.

Yzerman also had more leverage in the negotiation because of the fact that he didn't absolutely need to make the deal, but the Rangers did.

McDonagh being injured only could have helped Yzerman in the negotiations because he's an asset that can't be used right now, and has been injured a majority of this season (hence why his play was so poor).

We don't know many details about the injury, but it's obviously something worthy enough that if he didn't have the proper time to heal, could be nagging even during playoff time.

We sold lower than what we wold have gotten 2 years ago but there's no reason to trade him 2 years ago so there is no reason to mention selling lower.

We did not sell lower than what he is worth now.

I disagree with emphasizing most of the things you did here because, to me, almost everything you said above applies much more neatly to a situation where we are ONLY negotiating with TB. What you're writing is framed almost as if it was an arbitrator's meeting where the player has no options so the one side brings up negatives to lower the value.

The NYR didn't need to make the deal with TB, you're not considering this enough. In this case it wasn't just TB, there were options and TB was arguing against those other options much moreso then they were arguing to lower the value of McD.

If McDonagh was 100% healthy, and playing at a high level, the ball would be in Gorton's court from a leverage perspective in what he wanted to demand. That could have very well been more than what we got.

I don't think our leverage was anywhere nearly as handicapped as you're implying based on what our return was

Reactions: jas

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This. I find it hardly unlikely that Tampa would trade their just received top preospect.

Maybe for a split second when I saw Miller was also going to Tampa in the trade I thought he was coming the other way. I'm sure others felt the same way and that led to a lot of initial disappointment when we saw the actual return

My ask for McDonagh was always Howden, Foote and Raddysh. Knowing now management's preference of Hajek to Foote, I guess what we ended up getting wasn't too far off.

Gorton better use the TB or Boston first to move up in the draft though if we don't get any lotto luck and are on the outside of the top 5 or so

Reactions: haveandare

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Flyers wanted to take Trevor Lewis. Ron Hextall was part of the Flyers front office along with Dean Lombardi. They moved together to LA in 2006. The Kings took Lewis and the Flyers were pissed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
30 Thoughts: How do you manage bad luck? - Sportsnet.ca

20. Finally on Philadelphia, Doug MacLean told a great story about why Bob Clarke tripped up on Giroux’s name when the Flyers took him 22nd overall in 2006. According to MacLean, Philly was going to take Trevor Lewis. But the Kings took Lewis 17th, which annoyed Philadelphia, since Hextall had just left for California. Clarke was flustered.

Doug MacLean is the source on that one, but still.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

The two may not be correlated but the analysts did say that the Flyers wanted him and Bobby Clarke did stumble when calling Giroux's name.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Knowing now management's preference of Hajek to Foote, I guess what we ended up getting wasn't too far off.

I'm side-eyeing this concession from management. I suspect it could be something they said so they don't look bad for failing to get a higher value player.

Either way, now that they've said it, Hajek better turn out better then Foote or they look like idiots.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Yeah I think I agree with you Edge, I just can't see the Rangers withholding for Hajek over Foote. Foote is by all accounts the better player with the bigger upside.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm side-eyeing this concession from management. I suspect it could be something they said so they don't look bad for failing to get a higher value player.

Either way, now that they've said it, Hajek better turn out better then Foote or they look like idiots.
It always screamed posturing coming from the team to me.

Here's what Brooks said the morning of the Brian Leetch trade:

"Though the Rangers targeted highly-touted defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo as part of the package for Leetch, it did not appear the Maple Leafs were willing to part with the youngster, and instead were offering a package of lesser prospects and draft picks."

And what he said after the trade was made:
"we’re told the Blueshirts didn’t want young Toronto defense prospect Carlo Colaiacovo, the popular flavor of the month, but rather targeted far less sexy Maxim Kondratiev, who has played with Fedor Tyutin"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It always screamed posturing coming from the team to me.

Here's what Brooks said the morning of the Brian Leetch trade:

"Though the Rangers targeted highly-touted defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo as part of the package for Leetch, it did not appear the Maple Leafs were willing to part with the youngster, and instead were offering a package of lesser prospects and draft picks."

And what he said after the trade was made:
"we’re told the Blueshirts didn’t want young Toronto defense prospect Carlo Colaiacovo, the popular flavor of the month, but rather targeted far less sexy Maxim Kondratiev, who has played with Fedor Tyutin"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Obviously Colaiacovo had a better career than Kondratiev, but I can't say I was ever a huge fan of the former. I just never saw the hype and the status he was getting at the time. He was one of those who seemed to be perpetually be on top prospect lists year-after-year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Carlo Colaiacovo as part of the package for Leetch, it did not appear the Maple Leafs were willing to part with the younger
Ahhh. The great Carlo Covaiacovo.
xglyi.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad