Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's negotiating 101 to point out anything negative that can give you leverage to a better deal.

Yzerman also had more leverage in the negotiation because of the fact that he didn't absolutely need to make the deal, but the Rangers did.

McDonagh being injured only could have helped Yzerman in the negotiations because he's an asset that can't be used right now, and has been injured a majority of this season (hence why his play was so poor).

We don't know many details about the injury, but it's obviously something worthy enough that if he didn't have the proper time to heal, could be nagging even during playoff time.

If McDonagh was 100% healthy, and playing at a high level, the ball would be in Gorton's court from a leverage perspective in what he wanted to demand. That could have very well been more than what we got.

But, we will never know in discussing what if's...like I said earlier, I think we made out pretty good in the trade all things considered.

I'd say it was a win/win for both teams. Even more so for us in the long term since we don't have to be responsible for his next contract.

My concern is that we convince ourselves that there was some greater deal out there somewhere, and the longer we repeat it to ourselves we really start to believe it --- despite having nothing other than our imagination to confirm its accuracy.

Over time we actually start to forget that there wasn't any actual basis to support our belief and we begin to accept it as fact.

Then we start quoting our own memories as fact and the myth behind the trade starts to grow, and other people start to believe it as well.

Until one day, 10 years from now, we have an entire subsection of people, essentially quoting a rumor we made up in our own head, as if it were something that was actually reported.

You laugh, but we've done this before. We create our own HFBoards urban myths.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My concern is that we convince ourselves that there was some greater deal out there somewhere, and the longer we repeat it to ourselves we really start to believe it --- despite having nothing other than our imagination to confirm its accuracy.

Over time we actually start to forget that there wasn't any actual basis to support our belief and we begin to accept it as fact.

Then we start quoting our own memories as fact and the myth behind the trade starts to grow, and other people start to believe it as well.

Until one day, 10 years from now, we have an entire subsection of people, essentially quoting a rumor we made up in our own head, as if it were something that was actually reported.

You laugh, but we've done this before. We create our own HFBoards urban myths.
Bobby Clarke wanted to pick Bobby Sanguinetti. That's why he forgot Claude Giroux's name.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kinda the same as what most reasonable evaluations of him around here so the price we got is pretty fair. Which is also something that most agree.

It was a fair deal.

But I think it's worth pointing out that no rumors have circulated that there was some better deal to be had, nor are there any rumors that anyone thought the current injury was serious enough to diminish McD's trade value.

It's that second sentence that concerns me because there's really nothing to support it. Anywhere.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was a fair deal.

But I think it's worth pointing out that no rumors have circulated that there was some better deal to be had, nor are there any rumors that anyone thought the current injury was serious enough to diminish McD's trade value.

It's that second sentence that concerns me because there's really nothing to support it. Anywhere.

I think if the deal was structured around Sergachev then there would only be an extra conditional 1st and that’s it. Two type of deals that overall are probably comparable.

Regarding the other point I think most here got pretty comfortable with the return after a little time to analyze. I mean we don't have reaction that drafting McI (as one extreme or Gomez to Montreal as the other) we’ve seen

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We got a great return in the Nash Grabner and Holden trades. This return was market value and we are disappointed Honestly... Anything below market value is cause for concern. I think we as fans have gotten used to getting the better end of the stick in trades.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think if the deal was structured around Sergachev then there would only be an extra conditional 1st and that’s it. Two type of deals that overall are probably comparable.

To the best of anyone's knowledge, Sergachev was never on the table. The only table he was on is the imaginary one belonging to Ranger fans who wanted him badly.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
To the best of anyone's knowledge, Sergachev was never on the table. The only table he was on is the imaginary one belonging to Ranger fans who wanted him badly.

Not in reality but Yzerman could have a different view of how to construct a team where it would be a possibility.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

While that’s true, it doesn’t really address the point I think he was making, which is that Sergachev + cond 1 isn’t really all that different of a deal, in terms of value, than what we got.

The truth is that several us said that from the beginning. We wanted either Sergachev + 1 or basically an enhanced Yandle deal. We got the latter. We should be happy about that.

Also, the way the news broke has 100% influenced perception of it.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
As well as the Miller-Namestnikov aspect. I am sure there are many out there like me who are more than ok with the McD return, but pissed to all hell about the Miller piece of the deal.
Don’t know about that, I liked JT a lot but seems that there were some issues that I won’t speculate on. Namestnikov can play C and seems to be a really smart and good player. Hope we hold onto him.

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
While that’s true, it doesn’t really address the point I think he was making, which is that Sergachev + cond 1 isn’t really all that different of a deal, in terms of value, than what we got.

The truth is that several us said that from the beginning. We wanted either Sergachev + 1 or basically an enhanced Yandle deal. We got the latter. We should be happy about that.

Also, the way the news broke has 100% influenced perception of it.

Exactly re. bolded.

Also re. the last sentence above - "massive" was used to describe the trade. So it was reasonable to assume that Sergachev as a part of it, and when the details came out - disappointment was a natural initial reaction before giving it a more thorough analysis.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As well as the Miller-Namestnikov aspect. I am sure there are many out there like me who are more than ok with the McD return, but pissed to all hell about the Miller piece of the deal.

How come you’re so upset about the Miller piece of the deal? They’re pretty close to equal and we badly needed another center in the organization who was already an NhLer.

Block More Shots

Jul 19, 2005
NJ
"Winning" a negotiation is hard to determine in this type of trade. Both teams essentially got what they wanted and what the "market" set in terms of pricing. In ANY deal, you can say "maybe I could've done better" or "maybe if I pushed more I could've gotten a little more", but that can be problematic and pretty flawed. You're communicating with not only another person but a management staff that have opinions and could value assets differently.

You do the best you can...and I believe Gorton did that. I'm happy with it.

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017
I was pissed at first, but now I love that part of the trade. Namestnikov is a guy you win with. He's not going to score 60 points, but he's a very valuable guy to have in the lineup.

Reactions: TheBPA

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Still? Why? Is Namestnikov not a good value to obtain relative to Miller?

How come you’re so upset about the Miller piece of the deal? They’re pretty close to equal and we badly needed another center in the organization who was already an NhLer.

I am of the belief that this swap will look brutal no later than 12 mos from now. I think Miller has much more talent than Namestnikov. Miller is a 24 y/o 50 pt player which is something the NYR haven't exactly been pulling out of every draft. Badly mismanaged by AV and even if the NYR want to move on they sold way too low.

Vehemently opposed, and will likely remain that way. Trying not to belabor the point every day. It's done.

Reactions: Off Sides

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am of the belief that this swap will look brutal no later than 12 mos from now. I think Miller has much more talent than Namestnikov. Miller is a 24 y/o 50 pt player which is something the NYR haven't exactly been pulling out of every draft. Badly mismanaged by AV and even if the NYR want to move on they sold way too low.

Vehemently opposed, and will likely remain that way. Trying not to belabor the point every day. It's done.

Understandable, although the age thing makes little difference to me since Namestnikov is only 5 months older than him. They came out of the same draft. The thing that will determine how that part of the trade shakes out is whether or not Namestnikov is having a real breakout year or whether that success is situational.

Miller certainly didn’t embody that hardworking identity that Gorton is supposedly trying to build, no matter how he was treated by AV

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I get that you didn't want the Rangers to part ways with Miller but in return they pretty much an equal value production-wise who's also a more natural center and was able to stick on a 1st line of a Cup contender. We know he wasn't "the guy" but Miller was not able to stick on a first line in any capacity.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Im glad that Miller is doing fine in TBL and i hope he gets a good extension, would suck to see him traded in the off-season to some deadbeat team.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

This. I find it hardly unlikely that Tampa would trade their just received top preospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad