McDavid Wins Back to Back Art Ross' With a 108 Point Season, 2nd Youngest to Do So Behind #99

Does McDavid win the Art Ross and hit 100 points?

• He wins the Art Ross but doesn't hit 100 points.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Let me try and break down my argument to make it clearer:

Both guys are naturalized Muricans these days, but only one guy always wished he was born somewhere else (like LA).

Jesus man, did you make an account just to try and make your point that Orr is better than Wayne? Take that sh!t to the mains. Wayne is the G.O.A.T. and it ain't even close.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think you meant to say that Orr is in a tier of his own.

I see McDavid eventually being in a very elite tier (if he continues to develop) that is just below the tier held by Orr and Gretzky, in that order.

1) Orr

2) Gretzky
3)Howe/Connor (I believe he can surpass Howe in time if he stays healthy, motivated, and looks after himself)
4) Lemieux (he'd be #2 on this list, maybe higher, but just missed too much time)
5) all the rest.....

Kid's going to win several scoring titles and - if he stays healthy and motivated - is going to have a long string of 100+ point seasons.
You punish Mario for missing too much time but not Orr who missed way more time?

Reactions: TB12

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
You punish Mario for missing too much time but not Orr who missed way more time?
Mario didn't transform the sport in the way that Orr did. Orr was the first guy to play "total hockey" a la Cruyff (Dryden touched upon this years ago).

Honestly, Mario was/is the greatest physical talent of all-time, but I think Orr left a bigger imprint.

FWIW, I wonder what a McDavid-like talent would have done in the early 1980s on a team like Edmonton with a coach like Sather behind the bench.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You can argue that Orr is the second greatest of all time and the best defenceman of all time but Gretzky was on another level from the group of greats like Orr, Lemieux and Howe.

Reactions: Aerrol and TB12

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As he should be, I'm not trying to lean on you, just asking if you've come around on McDavid? I know you were trying to be a bit "standoffish" about him, but he's just the best, right? ;)

Yeah, I've certainly "come around" in regards to him. The biggest thing I was worried about, his shot, has improved remarkably so far, and the other issue I had with his standard dipsy-doodle move in tight hasn't proved to be an issue either really. He doesn't do it that often anymore, usually just shooting in tight, or passing off to a wide open player. His shot really has improved a LOT in the last 2 years, and it has made him even *more* dangerous.

To be honest, McDavid might be the most dominant player I've ever seen play, and I'm 40 years old, so you can can read into that statement what you want to..... lol. I can think of maybe 3-5 players I would put in the same "dominance category" as McDavid in my lifetime.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Yeah, I've certainly "come around" in regards to him. The biggest thing I was worried about, his shot, has improved remarkably so far, and the other issue I had with his standard dipsy-doodle move in tight hasn't proved to be an issue either really. He doesn't do it that often anymore, usually just shooting in tight, or passing off to a wide open player. His shot really has improved a LOT in the last 2 years, and it has made him even *more* dangerous.

To be honest, McDavid might be the most dominant player I've ever seen play, and I'm 40 years old, so you can can read into that statement what you want to..... lol. I can think of maybe 3-5 players I would put in the same "dominance category" as McDavid in my lifetime.

Probably the most delicious crow you'll ever eat.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can anyone recall a more arrogant and pompous jack a s s than this guy?

jack-edwards-compares-bruins-victory-to-boston-tea-party-150x150.jpg

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
McDavid nominated for the Ted Lindsay with MacKinnon and Hall.

Lol Kucherov, who at one point, looked like he was gonna walkaway with Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay...now probably with nothing lol

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Lol Kucherov, who at one point, looked like he was gonna walkaway with Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay...now probably with nothing lol
Wasn't he also leading the Rocket race for a quite a bit too?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Hard to give Kucherov the Hart when IMO all 3 nominees were more valuable to their respective teams.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd certainly take Kucherov on the Oilers but ya... those other 3 have put up relatively better years.

It should be quite easily McDavid over Hall and MacKinnon for both those awards but definitely the Lindsay at a minimum.

All 3 are golfing now (and we all knew it was just a matter of a few additional games for MacKinnon and Hall until they joined McDavid on the links)... so I really don't see the point in the old "must make the playoffs to be MVP" argument. That rationale was stupid a few weeks ago and and it's still stupid now.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Hard to give Kucherov the Hart when IMO all 3 nominees were more valuable to their respective teams.
You can argue this, but at the same time, all of the Hart candidates (Hall, MacKinnon, Kopitar, Giroux) were eliminated in the 1st round while Kucherov has and is making his team the Stanley Cup favourite.

Which is more important value, the difference between being a top contender and being just a good team, or the difference between being a mediocre bubble team and being out of playoffs?

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
You can argue this, but at the same time, all of the Hart candidates (Hall, MacKinnon, Kopitar, Giroux) were eliminated in the 1st round while Kucherov has and is making his team the Stanley Cup favourite.

Which is more important value, the difference between being a top contender and being just a good team, or the difference between being a mediocre bubble team and being out of playoffs?

Hart voting is done before playoffs start though. Otherwise there would be too much overlap between Hart and Conn Smythe.

Reactions: fuswald

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Hart voting is done before playoffs start though. Otherwise there would be too much overlap between Hart and Conn Smythe.
Yeah, but everyone knew that Avs or Devils weren't going to win anything even before the playoffs.

I don't know, I just don't like the narrative that Kucherov shouldn't be even considered because he plays in a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->