McDavid Wins Back to Back Art Ross' With a 108 Point Season, 2nd Youngest to Do So Behind #99

Does McDavid win the Art Ross and hit 100 points?

• He wins the Art Ross but doesn't hit 100 points.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There are few players in his league between McDavid and Lemieux in the 80's. Realistically you have Crosby and Lindros as the others in that tier.

Yeah, it really is a separate tier of the "generational players" that he is on right now. I would *maybe* throw Malkin into that same conversation, but that is debatable. I also think it's somewhat debateable if Lindros should be in that same tier. Gretzky is in a league of his own, then I think the next tier is Orr, Howe, and Lemieux - Messier and Jagr could well both deserve to be in here as well. Then you have the next tier where things get a little murky as to where the cutoff begins, and who belongs in the group. I would have the following players as good candidates: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Forsberg, Sakic, Esposito, Dionne, Kurri, Hull, Modano, Lindros, Lafleur, etc. You get the idea. I think its this final group that McDavid falls into so far. I would argue that due to era-effects on scoring, that Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, and McDavid have the best argument with being included in that 2nd tier with Orr and company.

Reactions: Aerrol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid finished third in pts/game in his rookie season and now will lead the NHL in points-per-game for the second year in a row unless Marchand puts up at least five tomorrow.

In McDavid's three seasons he has averaged an NHL-best 1.22 pts/game. Malkin is second (1.16) and Crosby is third (1.11) over the same period.

His 1.22 PPG would put him in 11th place all-time (just ahead of Lafluer, and just behind Esposito). Crosby's career PPG is currently 1.29, just for reference.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Leads the league in points but has to watch the playoffs from his couch since he won't be playing in them. I wonder how much better he can get with the extra time to train and heal on his hands? That's a scary thought for the rest of the NHL :)

He won't be sitting on any couch as he is bound for the World Hockey Championships which sis a pretty significant event in Europe at least.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hope he plays with Nuge on his wing at the World Championships and lights it up. Call me crazy, but with a full season of Nuge on his wing and a competent PP and I think McDavid could hit 130 points. He's that good, and that duo has looked very good.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
whatever the media started about awards have to take playoff eligibilty in account may have rubbed onto the players.

According to Friedman’s 31 thoughts article, sounds like the players are buying into that BS even for the Lindsay

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
whatever the media started about awards have to take playoff eligibilty in account may have rubbed onto the players.

According to Friedman’s 31 thoughts article, sounds like the players are buying into that BS even for the Lindsay
That would be a shame. McDavid is the best player in the league, and was the best player this season hands down. Its not even a debate.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

The NHLPA would be throwing away a chance to make the Lindsay the premier award with Hart becoming a participation trophy. The NHL's love of good-not-great players on mediocre teams is absurd.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lol Gord Miller’s Allstar team has McDavid as his 3rd best C in the league.

Smh

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well, at least he is getting absolutely RIPPED APART on Twitter for that ridiculous list.
As he should be, I'm not trying to lean on you, just asking if you've come around on McDavid? I know you were trying to be a bit "standoffish" about him, but he's just the best, right? ;)

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
What a ****ing clown.
Can anyone recall a more arrogant and pompous jack a s s than this guy? Listening to Gord Miller talk, you'd swear he was a neurosurgeon or brilliant academic - not a guy with a big mouth who describes young men playing a child's game on a sheet of ice. Miller's one of these morons who thinks he's smarter than anyone else in the room, even when "everyone else in the room" is smarter than him.

Would love to see this guy canned. Or at least slip on a banana peel.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Hope he plays with Nuge on his wing at the World Championships and lights it up. Call me crazy, but with a full season of Nuge on his wing and a competent PP and I think McDavid could hit 130 points. He's that good, and that duo has looked very good.
Be not afraid of McGreatness.

Some are born McGreat, some achieve McGreatness, and some have McGreatness thrust upon them.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Yeah, it really is a separate tier of the "generational players" that he is on right now. I would *maybe* throw Malkin into that same conversation, but that is debatable. I also think it's somewhat debateable if Lindros should be in that same tier. Gretzky is in a league of his own, then I think the next tier is Orr, Howe, and Lemieux - Messier and Jagr could well both deserve to be in here as well. Then you have the next tier where things get a little murky as to where the cutoff begins, and who belongs in the group. I would have the following players as good candidates: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Forsberg, Sakic, Esposito, Dionne, Kurri, Hull, Modano, Lindros, Lafleur, etc. You get the idea. I think its this final group that McDavid falls into so far. I would argue that due to era-effects on scoring, that Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, and McDavid have the best argument with being included in that 2nd tier with Orr and company.

I think you meant to say that Orr is in a tier of his own.

I see McDavid eventually being in a very elite tier (if he continues to develop) that is just below the tier held by Orr and Gretzky, in that order.

1) Orr

2) Gretzky
3)Howe/Connor (I believe he can surpass Howe in time if he stays healthy, motivated, and looks after himself)
4) Lemieux (he'd be #2 on this list, maybe higher, but just missed too much time)
5) all the rest.....

Kid's going to win several scoring titles and - if he stays healthy and motivated - is going to have a long string of 100+ point seasons.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

I see McDavid eventually being in a very elite tier (if he continues to develop) that is just below the tier held by Orr and Gretzky, in that order.

1) Gretzky

2) Orr
3)Howe/Connor (I believe he can surpass Howe in time if he stays healthy, motivated, and looks after himself)
4) Lemieux (he'd be #2 on this list, maybe higher, but just missed too much time)
5) all the rest.....

Kid's going to win several scoring titles and - if he stays healthy and motivated - is going to have a long string of 100+ point seasons.

There was a typo. No worries it's been fixed.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
There was a typo. No worries it's been fixed.

Nope, you got it wrong McFlash97

But it's cool: I don't get into pi ss ing contests over why Orr gets under-rated on these forums.

That said, never could figure out why a guy who always wished he was born somewhere else, and who thinks that it's only "Growing the Game" if there are fewer Canadians playing it professionally, is such a hero in some parts of this country. It's baffling to me. Next, the same people will be telling me Wayne fought his own battles on the ice.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

1) Orr

2) Gretzky
5) all the rest.....

Orr is in no way better than Gretzky

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Orr is in no way better than Gretzky
But why do you say that?

Orr played on a comparatively worse team, with less talent (even relative to its contemporaries), and in far worse health. He also played a more demanding position that made it harder for him to freelance and to explore the creative side of his game. On top of that, he never had a coach the caliber of a young Sather behind the bench devising ways to maximize his talents, and he never had the Blessed Wally leading him through his paces on the sacred backyard rink.

Despite all that, he was equivalently dominant (I think more so) and we will never know precisely how many nights in his 20s he could only operate at 75% because his knees wouldn't allow him to do more.

Orr's 1970-71 season (139 points and +124, on bad knees) is every bit as impressive as Gretzky's 1981-82 or 1985-86 seasons playing on a better squad and with good knees. He simply did not have the perfect storm of good fortune that the Saintly Wayner did (perfect era, perfect team, perfect coach, perfect health).

I've talked to more than one NHLer who played against both, and of them, 8 out of 10 said Orr was better. It's true that Orr's Bruins faltered more than once in the playoffs, but that team was always dangerously top-heavy, and the coaching (Post-Sinden) and goaltending were never championship-caliber. I read somewhere once (I think right on these forums), that Edmonton outscored its opponents by somewhere close to 40 percent when the Saintly Wayner was on the ice during his years in Edmonton. Boston outscored its opponents by around a 2 to 1 margin (!) when Orr was on the ice during his years in Boston. Yes, Orr beat up on expansion teams, but he was the prime reason why Boston won 2 cups; take him off that roster, and Boston doesn't get a sniff of a championship.

Edmonton won a cup without Gretzky, and had 2 other deep playoff runs post 1990.

Bobby's only problem was that he wasn't as shrewd in dealing with the media. These things are popularity contests, and Orr isn't going to win a popularity contest with Wally's Boy in the court of media opinion outside Beantown.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But why do you say that?

Orr played on a comparatively worse team, with less talent (even relative to its contemporaries), and in far worse health. He also played a more demanding position that made it harder for him to freelance and to explore the creative side of his game. On top of that, he never had a coach the caliber of a young Sather behind the bench devising ways to maximize his talents, and he never had the Blessed Wally leading him through his paces on the sacred backyard rink.

Despite all that, he was equivalently dominant (I think more so) and we will never know precisely how many nights in his 20s he could only operate at 75% because his knees wouldn't allow him to do more.

Orr's 1970-71 season (139 points and +124, on bad knees) is every bit as impressive as Gretzky's 1981-82 or 1985-86 seasons playing on a better squad and with good knees. He simply did not have the perfect storm of good fortune that the Saintly Wayner did (perfect era, perfect team, perfect coach, perfect health).

I've talked to more than one NHLer who played against both, and of them, 8 out of 10 said Orr was better. It's true that Orr's Bruins faltered more than once in the playoffs, but that team was always dangerously top-heavy, and the coaching (Post-Sinden) and goaltending were never championship-caliber. I read somewhere once (I think right on these forums), that Edmonton outscored its opponents by somewhere close to 40 percent when the Saintly Wayner was on the ice during his years in Edmonton. Boston outscored its opponents by around a 2 to 1 margin (!) when Orr was on the ice during his years in Boston. Yes, Orr beat up on expansion teams, but he was the prime reason why Boston won 2 cups; take him off that roster, and Boston doesn't get a sniff of a championship.

Edmonton won a cup without Gretzky, and had 2 other deep playoff runs post 1990.

Bobby's only problem was that he wasn't as shrewd in dealing with the media. These things are popularity contests, and Orr isn't going to win a popularity contest with Wally's Boy in the court of media opinion outside Beantown.

There is no argument in favour of the 1981-82 Oilers being a better team than the 1970-71 Bruins especially if you were to remove Gretzky and Orr from their respective teams.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
There is no argument in favour of the 1981-82 Oilers being a better team than the 1970-71 Bruins especially if you were to remove Gretzky and Orr from their respective teams.
I think there is, quite honestly. A lot of those Bruins players, viewed in isolation, weren't impressive; by contrast, Edmonton already had (by 1981-82) at least a handful of legitimate world-class players who would be stars in any era: The Wayner; Messier; Coffey; Kurri; Anderson. Fuhr wasn't ready for prime-time, but I'm not convinced that even a callow Fuhr was worse than Johnston or Cheevers. Point is, Edmonton always had a greater depth of talent than those Bruin teams; take Orr and Gretzky off their respective rosters, and I think Edmonton beats a club like Boston regularly. And, at their respective bests, it's no contest. I would argue that the only other Bruin player who was the equal of the Edmonton players I just mentioned was Esposito - and I've never been a fan of Esposito the player, much less Esposito the man. Bucyk was a good player and a nice guy, but he was a classic compiler who put up huge numbers against expansion teams, and far lesser numbers against established teams. And that's it: talent-wise, it's Edmonton by a lot once you go through each roster, man for man.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think there is, quite honestly. A lot of those Bruins players, viewed in isolation, weren't impressive; by contrast, Edmonton already had (by 1981-82) at least a handful of legitimate world-class players who would be stars in any era: The Wayner; Messier; Coffey; Kurri; Anderson. Fuhr wasn't ready for prime-time, but I'm not convinced that even a callow Fuhr was worse than Johnston or Cheevers. Point is, Edmonton always had a greater depth of talent than those Bruin teams; take Orr and Gretzky off their respective rosters, and I think Edmonton beats a club like Boston regularly. And, at their respective bests, it's no contest. I would argue that the only other Bruin player who was the equal of the Edmonton players I just mentioned was Esposito - and I've never been a fan of Esposito the player, much less Esposito the man. Bucyk was a good player and a nice guy, but he was a classic compiler who put up huge numbers against expansion teams, and far lesser numbers against established teams. And that's it: talent-wise, it's Edmonton by a lot once you go through each roster, man for man.

At their best the Oilers were likely the best team ever. You won't get an argument from me. But that Oiler team was far from what they would become. Fuhr was a rookie. Coffey, Anderson and Kurri were all second year players. Messier was still on the wing. You could obviously see the potential starting to show but there were lots of nights when that team looked like Gretzky and not much else. I say this as someone who had season tickets and who missed maybe two to three games over an 8 year period.

As far as the Bruins are concerned their key guys were pretty much in their prime. Outside of Gretzky there was not a single guy on the 81-82 Oilers that was at that point at a level anywhere close to Esposito even if you don't like how he played. That team was a veteran squad with enough depth to keep a guy like Reggie Leach down on the farm.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yes, Orr beat up on expansion teams
This is an understated aspect of hockey in the 70’s. The league more than doubled in size in a short time and had the WHA poaching players all while primarily using Canada and a small number of Americans as a talent pool. By the 80’s the WHA had merged and you had the influx of Europeans plus a huge influx of Americans after the miracle on ice. There’s a reason teams like Philly could win cups in the 70’s. It was probably the most watered down decade in terms of talent in the nhl.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Let me try and break down my argument to make it clearer:

Both Gretzky and Orr played in eras marred by expansion (Orr particularly)
Gretzky played his career on a better team, with better depth of talent, and with better coaching and management. I think this should be inarguable (Tom Johnson is not in the same league as Glen Sather, and I never did care for Sather).
Orr played his career with debilitating knee problems that cut into how much he could train, and cut into what he could do (or attempt to do) on the ice
The coaching Orr received was rudimentary compared to the coaching Gretzky received; this was the case all the way through their formative years of play.
I have already made it clear that Orr, when on the ice, impacted the success of his team more so than did Gretzky (when Gretzky was on the ice). I am prepared to concede that Orr benefited significantly from expansion, but Gretzky also played in a relatively weak Smythe Division in his glory years (Los Angeles and Vancouver were usually horrible, Winnipeg was below .500 more often than not, and in 81-82, an 18-49-13 Colorado team with a GF/GA of -121 [worst in the league] was in the Smythe with Gretzky's Oilers). And the Campbell Conference, as a whole, was not as strong as the Wales Conference. Playing the sad-sack Kings and Canucks a bunch of times each year, as opposed to playing the Islanders a bunch of times each year, surely didn't hurt.
If the Oilers outscored their opponents by around 40 percent when the Wayner was on the ice during his Oiler years, versus Boston outscoring its opponents by nearly 2:1 when Orr was on the ice during his Boston years, then that kind of massive discrepancy should suggest that Orr was a more dominant performer (if only by a narrow margin) than Gretzky when we control for expansion.
Gretzky was a more cunning and sophisticated individual with the media, and Bill Tuele did a great job of keeping people away when Wayne wanted them to stay away. Orr was poor with the media, untutored about how to use it to his advantage, and never understood the power of his own brand (Gretzky ALWAYS understood the power of his own brand, and cosmetic appearance). One guy would go to youth hospitals quietly and demand that it be kept quiet; the other guy would go, but make sure his trips leaked into the media. Orr was never going to, and certainly won't today, win a popularity contest with Darryl Katz's buddy - and it has hurt his historical standing to some extent
Orr played a more vital, skill-demanding position (sorry, but try playing D, and then try playing center [I have] at the competitive level, and I think you'll quickly apprehend which position places greater demands upon its athletes. It's the difference between being a third baseman and being a middle infielder or even a catcher in baseball).

Both guys are naturalized Muricans these days, but only one guy always wished he was born somewhere else (like LA).

It's not at all outrageous, or even dubious, to suggest Orr is the best player in NHL history. It's beyond me why Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Yvan Cournoyer, Al McNeil, Sam Pollock, and Jacques Demers all have it wrong, and people on this forum - most of whom have never made a dime in the hockey industry - all have it right.

Since I don't care for the Wayner, but have no axe to grind with anyone here (I'm actually an Oiler fan and root for them to have a big year next year), I'm not going to belabor this argument any further.

Wishing the Oilers a much better 2018-19 than 2017-18, and definitely hoping for another McRoss Trophy (which I expect to happen if Connor stays healthy and his team can be at least semi-competent).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad