McDavid vs Ovechkin

Do you think McDavid will eclipse Ovechkin's career and be an all-time better player?

• Total voters

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
106 = well behind the leaders point-wise and PPG-wise

100 = well ahead of the pack point-wise

No one has matched Thornton and Jagr's numbers from that year. Not comparable. Ovechkin was the only rookie to score 50 goals since Selanne and he was the total package physically. Rookie Ovi is arguably as good as last year's McDavid.

Reactions: skallin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How come? Ovechkin had 106 points, McDavid 100. How is this not debatable??

Because PPs were given out like candy after the lockout and scoring was much higher than last year due to both that and the fact that teams were adjusting to the crackdown on obstruction. McDavid led the league with 100 points when the next best player had 89. Ovechkin had 106 when the top 2 scorers had over 120, 7 players had 100 or more and another 7 had 90 or more.

Reactions: McRpro

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No one has matched Thornton and Jagr's numbers from that year. Not comparable. Ovechkin was the only rookie to score 50 goals since Selanne and he was the total package physically. Rookie Ovi is arguably as good as last year's McDavid.

No one has matched them because it was much easier to score....Ovechkin's numbers from '06 in last year's context would be around the high 80s. He was not better.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No one has matched them because it was much easier to score....Ovechkin's numbers from '06 in last year's context would be around the high 80s. He was not better.

The league GPG was 3.08 in 2005-06, it was 2.77 last year. Ovechkin's 106 points are equivalent to 95 points last year. His 52 goals are the equivalent of 47 goals last year. So Ovechkin would've been second to McDavid in points and first in goals. So yes, totally debatable.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
BS . Sorry but Ovie alone can be checked. He havent another star who could distract.Fact is that every star player would have higher PPG at playoffs if they have another star player.

Why is it whenever Ovechkin's playoff resume is brought up, people suddenly act like he's played with a bunch of 3rd line scrubs and ignore the fact that Backstrom's been one of the best playmakers in hockey since he entered the league?

Note, I'm not blaming Ovechkin for lack of Cups or whatever. I just think it's ridiculous that people ignore the fact the Caps have had some pretty stacked teams during Ovechkin's career.

Reactions: Mean Gene

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
106 = well behind the leaders point-wise and PPG-wise

100 = well ahead of the pack point-wise
Because every season is the same, right? Ever considered that maybe the players who finished ahead of Ovechkin that year were actually much better than McDavid was last season?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Because every season is the same, right? Ever considered that maybe the players who finished ahead of Ovechkin that year were actually much better than McDavid was last season?

No because common sense dictates that they weren't unless you want to assume that there were multiple players better than McDavid. Crosby and Kane would have finished in 15th instead of 2nd. Does that sound like it's reasonable?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The league GPG was 3.08 in 2005-06, it was 2.77 last year. Ovechkin's 106 points are equivalent to 95 points last year. His 52 goals are the equivalent of 47 goals last year. So Ovechkin would've been second to McDavid in points and first in goals. So yes, totally debatable.

Except more PPs disproportionately affect the top scorers positively compared to league scoring. If we do this adjustment for all 05-06 scorers to bring them into the scoring leaders of last year, 18 of the top 25 would be from '06. That seems highly unlikely

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Unlikely he'll peak as high as Ovechkin, but I think he'll have a better prime.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Why is it whenever Ovechkin's playoff resume is brought up, people suddenly act like he's played with a bunch of 3rd line scrubs and ignore the fact that Backstrom's been one of the best playmakers in hockey since he entered the league?

Note, I'm not blaming Ovechkin for lack of Cups or whatever. I just think it's ridiculous that people ignore the fact the Caps have had some pretty stacked teams during Ovechkin's career.
Im said not about teams but lacks another star players who can help team when opponents covers Ovie. It is just simple - thet team need somebody wo can help Ovie.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
False. Crosby would have had 48 goals and 97 points last season. So he'd be the third/second best player

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
No because common sense dictates that they weren't unless you want to assume that there were multiple players better than McDavid. Crosby and Kane would have finished in 15th instead of 2nd. Does that sound like it's reasonable?
Common sense? I'm not even talking about the top 15 scorers, only the top 3. Thornton had the best season of his career and carried Cheechoo to 56 goals and Jagr still scored way more than McDavid even after adjusting for scoring. Is it unreasonable to think that they were actually better than McDavid? You can't just compare point finishes as if every year is the same and I doubt many people would disagree that Jagr and Thornton that season were better than McDavid last season.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid should surpass ovechkin. I can't see McDavid scoring 65, 69, 71 point full seasons in his prime. Just a different type of talent
you're a full blown OV hater, doesn't matter what the question is, context doesn't matter, nothing does. I'd actually think that you believe Tyler Bozak is better than OV

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Common sense? I'm not even talking about the top 15 scorers, only the top 3. Thornton had the best season of his career and carried Cheechoo to 56 goals and Jagr still scored way more than McDavid even after adjusting for scoring. Is it unreasonable to think that they were actually better than McDavid?

No, but Ovechkin wasn't really close to either one of them.

I consider McDavid's season above Crosby 07 but it's close, and Crosby's is obviously better than Ovechkin's.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

The adjustment would be lower than that IMO. You can't just adjust from league GPG when a larger percentage of that higher goals per game came from powerplay scoring. He was 3rd in points and 5th in points per game and also 3rd in goals so it's not a given he would've been the clear 2nd best goal scorer last season or the 2nd best point producer in the league.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The adjustment would be lower than that IMO. You can't just adjust from league GPG when a larger percentage of that higher goals per game came from powerplay scoring. He was 3rd in points and 5th in points per game and also 3rd in goals so it's not a given he would've been the clear 2nd best goal scorer last season or the 2nd best point producer in the league.

So I guess the only adjustment allowed is the one that suits your agenda. Got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad