Player Discussion McDavid Trade Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think some people just need to let every fan be a fan in their own way. if a fan chooses to be a bit dour and pessimistic about things let it be so. Don't tell people how to be fans. Some fans display their passion for the team with anger at the crap that has been happening in the past decade and take it out in different ways. No need to call people idiots or flame trollers.

I'm more pessimistic than most and you'd never see me actively cheering against the team the way that guy is, that's beggars belief that any actual Oilers fan would do that.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
unnamed.png

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
There's a real possibility that Connor asks for a trade someday, instead of getting triggered and trying to shut down all debate because it upsets you, let's explore what that looks like.

Laine, Scheifele, Trouba for McDavid? I'd take a sniff at this, it would make us better today but might bite us longer term. I also think the Jets are one of the teams that could afford to lose that talent based on other guy's they have in the system.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
There's a real possibility that Connor asks for a trade someday, instead of getting triggered and trying to shut down all debate because it upsets you, let's explore what that looks like.

Laine, Scheifele, Trouba for McDavid? I'd take a sniff at this, it would make us better today but might bite us longer term. I also think the Jets are one of the teams that could afford to lose that talent based on other guy's they have in the system.

The problem with trading McDavid is that it would leave the team trading for him in the same position that the Oilers find themselves in right now. They'd have the best player in hockey and not much else.

As we are seeing from Vegas, you don't need a superstar to win in a league with as much parity as the NHL.

But hey, he is a lot of fun to watch and puts butts in seats.

Reactions: yababy and Aerchon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

It’s been explained to you repeatedly why McDavid won’t ask for a trade anytime soon. If it ever does happen it will be so far down the road that none of your scenarios will be in play. You aren’t interested in reality. You’re interested in stirring shit.
All you’ve done is troll your fellow Oiler fans with this thread, assuming you’re an Oiler fan to begin with. Bravo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Holy panic, Batman. We have a rough first half of the year, and let's shove a stick of dynamite into the ship and blow the captain out of the water. Some kids need to settle down and take a Tide.

McDavid is untradeable. In any situation, for whomever. He is the best thing to happen to this team and the city in the past 20 years or more. We're not talking about some 33 year old on the down side of his career. A young dynamic generational talent not even close to being into his prime.
You build championships around players like this, not move them for lesser parts.

This thread is nothing more than a troll thread. I have my doubts if any of these posters are even Oiler fans. More than likely Flamers who have infiltrated the site.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Your fallacy is: begging the question.

Ha ha good lord. If the Oilers are forced into trading McDavid, there's no way they get anything close to this or even fair value. A couple of decent roster players and a gaggle of picks and prospects seems most likely. Maybe you get one lesser "star" player in return, but beyond that...

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Before everyone gets up in arms, I am not advocating trading Connor and it would gut me as much as trading Wayne and Smythy did.

There's been more and more unsettling discussion on here, talking to friends and on CHED about the prospect of trading McDavid being our only card to play to actually turn this franchise around without it taking 4 years of slow rebuild. It brings me to think what teams would have to give up to make this happen? It would take a complete gutting of good players, prospects and picks and they'd have to have room for the $12.5 on top of that. I honestly don't think there is a team out there with the depth or cap space to make this happen, which means we are safe from losing him.

Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?

Ridiculously silly thread.

It's like you didn't consider what the best young player in the league, and the face of the franchise brings to the team BEYOND how well the team performs.

Ticket sales, jersey sales, concessions, parking, a f'n revolt if he was traded? GMs and owners care about the bottom line and their legacy as well, regardless of the return on the ice - he is not tradable.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid leads the league with 201 5vs5 high danger chances for.

The next best forward that isn't his linemate is Sidney Crosby with 163.

McDavid hasn't declined, in fact, he's generating far more scoring chances than anyone else in the league. Let's not let a small sample size cloud us here.

Natural Stat Trick

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Guys I'm trying to have a realist discussion here as a fan and a handful of you are just plugging your ears and whistling. Our blind optimism (myself included, season ticket holder through the decade of darkness) needs to stop because it leads to poor team management decisions.

I do think we've underperformed this year partly due to bad luck, bad reffing, bad schedule, and injuries but it's also due to some guy's coming back down to earth from career seasons. I don't think we will have the misfortune to see this perfect storm next year but our personnel will only get worse due to cap limitations kicking in. This coupled with no prospects looking to make any major differences tells me we are in for 3-4 years of painful rebuild. The only immediate chance is to sign a bunch of motivated $1mil/year UFA's that find lightning in a bottle like the Vegas experiment but that's a pipe dream.

We all agree about Connor's value to the team and the city but that means squat if he wants out. He locked in $100mil in the NHL and if he wants out that's what he'll get and we'll have to trade him. For a competitor like he is I don't think that's as far fetched as some of us think.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

McDavid hasn't declined, in fact, he's generating far more scoring chances than anyone else in the league. Let's not let a small sample size cloud us here.

Natural Stat Trick

Ya, any one watching him this year has seen a big step forward. The team around him has failed. He should have about 70 points right now

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Guys I'm trying to have a realist discussion here as a fan and a handful of you are just plugging your ears and whistling. Our blind optimism (myself included, season ticket holder through the decade of darkness) needs to stop because it leads to poor team management decisions.

I do think we've underperformed this year partly due to bad luck, bad reffing, bad schedule, and injuries but it's also due to some guy's coming back down to earth from career seasons. I don't think we will have the misfortune to see this perfect storm next year but our personnel will only get worse due to cap limitations kicking in. This coupled with no prospects looking to make any major differences tells me we are in for 3-4 years of painful rebuild. The only immediate chance is to sign a bunch of motivated $1mil/year UFA's that find lightning in a bottle like the Vegas experiment but that's a pipe dream.

We all agree about Connor's value to the team and the city but that means squat if he wants out. He locked in $100mil in the NHL and if he wants out that's what he'll get and we'll have to trade him. For a competitor like he is I don't think that's as far fetched as some of us think.

I hear you man. Though I do think the odds very low now that he asks for a trade this year, I can see that chance increasing exponentially every year we have that is like this or even every year we miss the playoffs. I think if this continues, in 2-3 year there is a fair chance he asks for a trade or some SIGNIFICANT change. Now we have to wonder or ask the question... what are the chances this current Oilers organization will get this team to become a playoff contender let alone a cup contender. At this moment, there SHOULD be some significant doubts... thus this topic, though it may be a bit premature IS a potential and real concern. I also think Connor would NOT have the patience to wait out another 3 plus year rebuild. The Oilers brass better get some real good work done starting now to right the ship.

I brought this topic up in November, so I was even more premature than you lol. But you can see the potential scenario unfolding if you choose not to have the blinders on. Even though we may be wrong, I feel us "pessimists" have a right to err on the side of thinking along the lines of "Murphy's Law" given what we've seen in the last 10 plus years. There were NUMEROUS times when it looked like we were going to turn it around and each time we got our collective nuts kicked in by this organization. I know people will say "ö this is different, we got Connor" but one player does not make a NHL team.

Sometimes these premature topics wind up being 100% correct. Like those who, like myself, thought in the summer the Oil were going to have a down year and potentially miss the playoffs. As well as the whole Hall situation. Just because it's not a pleasant topic doesn't mean there isn't at least some pertinence.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

How does our optimism have anything to do with how management makes decisions.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If the suckage continues for several years in a row maybe this becomes a topic.

As of right now, Connor isn't quitting on this team based on a bad half of a season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You say you want to have an honest discussion but you’ve yet to answer the most basic question that needs to be answered before your question can be taken seriously. With a cap hit of $12.5 million next year, where can McDavid go where his situation will be so much better than it is here that he would request a trade? Any team acquiring him from the Oilers gives up their best pieces and depletes their lineup as well. Until you can give a satisfactory answer to this question, your premise and your thread is a joke. Again, nobody is plugging their ears and whistling here. You haven’t given us any reason to take you seriously. You say McDavid, at some point, asks for a trade. Tell us how that makes sense.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Natural Stat Trick

Pffft You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

What about our irrational feelings about Mcdavid? Don't those count for anything?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Where do you get the idea that he wants out? Or are you just fabricating that to satisfy yourself?

He just signed an 8 year contract this past summer. That doesn't sound like someone that wants out to me. I'm not going to argue that we're in some bumpy waters this season, but it's not the end of the world. Panic is not what is needed right now, and you're posts are full of it.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

You asked if he was tradable. Everyone is saying no.

I would go as far as saying - if owner/management were GUARANTEED that trading him would result in making the playoffs sooner and winning a cup sooner... they still aren't trading McDavid.

If things are bleak from now until 5 years from now, maybe the conversation is different. But thinking that they might trade him because it makes the team better, isn't ignoring big parts of the equation (optics, money, legacy).

And judging by everything I've read and watched regarding his character, he's not asking out anytime soon either, they will build around him and he'll probably have a big voice in how that's done.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I hear you man. Though I do think the odds very low now that he asks for a trade this year, I can see that chance increasing exponentially every year we have that is like this or even every year we miss the playoffs. I think if this continues, in 2-3 year there is a fair chance he asks for a trade or some SIGNIFICANT change. Now we have to wonder or ask the question... what are the chances this current Oilers organization will get this team to become a playoff contender let alone a cup contender. At this moment, there SHOULD be some significant doubts... thus this topic, though it may be a bit premature IS a potential and real concern. I also think Connor would NOT have the patience to wait out another 3 plus year rebuild. The Oilers brass better get some real good work done starting now to right the ship.

I brought this topic up in November, so I was even more premature than you lol. But you can see the potential scenario unfolding if you choose not to have the blinders on. Even though we may be wrong, I feel us "pessimists" have a right to err on the side of thinking along the lines of "Murphy's Law" given what we've seen in the last 10 plus years. There were NUMEROUS times when it looked like we were going to turn it around and each time we got our collective nuts kicked in by this organization. I know people will say "ö this is different, we got Connor" but one player does not make a NHL team.

Sometimes these premature topics wind up being 100% correct. Like those who, like myself, thought in the summer the Oil were going to have a down year and potentially miss the playoffs. As well as the whole Hall situation. Just because it's not a pleasant topic doesn't mean there isn't at least some pertinence.

You spent all early season discrediting everything McDavid did.

Just because you are trying to sound “sensible” doesnt mean your points have or had any validity.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You spent all early season discrediting everything McDavid did.

Just because you are trying to sound “sensible” doesnt mean your points have or had any validity.

Give a rest. I never "discredited" McDavid. Simple criticisms was all. Some of you have no real good reply or arguments other than a "I don't agree with you, therefore you are an idiot" mindset. You get oversensitive because deep down you know very well some of the things that are said, which may seem bleak, have some validity and are too afraid to face it and just want to keep the blinders on. Again, not saying all that's discussed will come to fruition but it's a discussion point for some. If you don't agree just leave it be. Why chop others down because you are insecure about the situation? If anything, guys like you reply in that manner because you are afraid of it's validity and deal with it in a negative way with no real discussion or counterpoints. Just attacks on the poster.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?

Some people might agree that it's possible that the quickest way for the team to be a serious playoff contender, and winning the cup - could be to trade him. It's not that far fetched to think that 2-3 high-end reasonably aged players and great prospects coming back, could have a larger and quicker affect on turning the team around, than 1 player making a ton of money on a roster that has significant holes.

Is there a trade out there that could work? A complicated one, maybe.

Would any team (including the Oilers) risk doing it? Probably not - definitely not the Oilers (again, factor in the optics, money, tickets - he's a gold mine). He could be one of the best players to ever play, no owner or GM is going to sign up to be the one that traded him, even if it means making the team better.

Are there significantly less risky moves (trading Drai) that would be much less drastic, cut tons of salary, and bring back a significant return without sending off possibly one of, or the best, player to ever play the game? While filling holes and building around the face of your franchise?

Absolutely.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Guys I'm trying to have a realist discussion here as a fan and a handful of you are just plugging your ears and whistling.

A realistic discussion about an absurd hypothetical. OK sure.

Our blind optimism (myself included, season ticket holder through the decade of darkness) needs to stop because it leads to poor team management decisions.

LMAO wut

I'm as pessimistic as anyone and a three-four year rebuild is preposterous to me. I don't think they turn it around completely next year but they should be in a better spot in about two years time with further cap increases. Dump a couple of bad deals (Lucic and Russell) and there's a lot more room to work with. Plus you'll have McDavid and Drai hitting their primes at that point. The GM just has to stop losing trades and rewarding character veterans with overstuffed deals.

He hasn't even played a single game under his new deal; perhaps you can see why people would think this discussion is grossly premature.

Is it just Edmonton fans that think players will bail at the first sign of adversity? Is this PTSD from Pronger?

Stamkos made the playoffs once in his first five years. Same with Tavares. Taylor Hall was part of a losing team here and was gutted to leave. If anything, most hockey players, especially stars, are loyal to a fault. So what's the point of even speculating?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad