Player Discussion McDavid Trade Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Before everyone gets up in arms, I am not advocating trading Connor and it would gut me as much as trading Wayne and Smythy did.

There's been more and more unsettling discussion on here, talking to friends and on CHED about the prospect of trading McDavid being our only card to play to actually turn this franchise around without it taking 4 years of slow rebuild. It brings me to think what teams would have to give up to make this happen? It would take a complete gutting of good players, prospects and picks and they'd have to have room for the $12.5 on top of that. I honestly don't think there is a team out there with the depth or cap space to make this happen, which means we are safe from losing him.

Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?

Reactions: yababy

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The idea that this thing is going to take a massive overhaul is nothing more than a panic. Even good teams have bad/unlucky seasons. Sure, we have reason to panic due to the decade of darkness, but this team on paper is closer to the result of last year than our current standings situation. A few proper tweaks next year and we are right back in contention. Either way though, trading Connor isn't the answer.

Now lets say Connor hypothetically asked for a trade quietly. Your target is going to be a team that is going to pay more for him due to how well he will sell tickets. Columbus/Arizona etc.

From Columbus, you're probably talking Werenski, Dubois, Wennberg and some picks.

Reactions: onetweasy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Before everyone gets up in arms, I am not advocating trading Connor and it would gut me as much as trading Wayne and Smythy did.

There's been more and more unsettling discussion on here, talking to friends and on CHED about the prospect of trading McDavid being our only card to play to actually turn this franchise around without it taking 4 years of slow rebuild. It brings me to think what teams would have to give up to make this happen? It would take a complete gutting of good players, prospects and picks and they'd have to have room for the $12.5 on top of that. I honestly don't think there is a team out there with the depth or cap space to make this happen, which means we are safe from losing him.

Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?

A #1C and a #1D + picks and prospects .

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have been one of the hardest on McDavid that I have seen on these boards. I hate that he was signed for so much. His 12.5 contract in the cap environment we are in is gross. Makes it extremely difficult to build a championship team and puts the pressure on our drafting and development, which imo is a bit of a crap shoot and over the last decade or two not an area of strength.

But I love that he signed here for 8 years. He is a great player. He is a great character guy from what little I know. He is a great leader. If the cap goes up enough which is looks like it will, and he improves like I believe he will, trading McDavid would be stupid by every conceivable hockey metric. It may take 6 more years to finally get a Stanley Cup contending team because of the cap, but it will be primarily because of McDavid that we even have that opportunity.

From a marketing and business side of things McDavid is worth more than 12.5 mill per year. I think the vast majority of franchises would move heaven and earth to get him even with his gross contract.

The Oilers, and him imo, are having an off year. Everyone needs to work a lot harder this year but our team is a swack better than it ever was during the decade of darkness on paper. Good teams can have bad years. People are grossly overreacting over the Oilers struggles this season. The joys of being in a hockey mad Canadian market.

While we could certainly get both quality players and quality picks for McDavid and most teams would make room for him... Short of getting lucky, I really don't think the Oilers could actually end up with a better team now or moving forward for the next 8+ years.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this sums up this thread

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Found this. It's crazy how McDavid ranks at the very top of the league in so many categories, even if it's only 13 games of data. He's appeared very good in my opinion lately, the biggest thing hurting his production relative to last year is the abysmal powerplay.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While I would never approve of moving McDavid, if he were to be moved, you'd need the following coming back:

a) a young star forward
b) a top-pairing defender
c) a depth forward
d) a package of 3-4 1st/2nd round picks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Stop listening to morons.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I don't think the Oil want to trade Connor and I personally don't think they should (as of now) but as I have said before, if Connor grows frustrated with this continual losing and it continues on to next year or the year after, I would not be at all surprised if he initially quietly asks for a trade.... and if his request is not met, publically ask for one.

There needs to be a serious forensic audit happening now and in the offseason to determine how to make next year an almost guaranteed playoff year. We cannot let Connor quietly stew in his head about missing the playoffs for the third time in 4 years. As I said he is trending to be an all time great and guys like that care a lot about their own legacy. He will not want to waste years on a non-playoff team. I don't know if Chia can afford to gamble and HOPE that his players will "do better" next year. He'll probably need to make some good strong moves. I don't envy him. It will be a real tough task not to make the team even worse with poor moves but no playoffs next year will be unacceptable. I'm not really advocating trading Drai but it may be one of his strongest chips he could use to get some serious help back. Maybe Klef as well. Has to be great return though. Risky gamble.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Calll me crazy but why don’t we just build a team around Mcdavid instead.....

Because everyone know that if your team has a half bad season you must push the panick button, trade everyone for spare parts and start again a rebuild...

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
$15 million.

Seriously though, McDavid is the biggest face of this franchise since Gretzky. For that reason alone a trade will not happen. Unless Katz becomes Pocklington.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's been a rough year but I think there was far too much pressure going in from the media, they clearly couldn't handle the expectations, had some really bad luck, some injuries and illness. However, a lot of players have drastically declined since the previous season, which we expected but to the point where they can barely score more than a goal a game? ouch, some moves obviously need to be made. Trading McDavid is not one of them.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How did trading Wayne Gretzky work for this franchise long term?

At least Pocklington was broke and if you really wanted to you could try to understand why he did it. There would be no such reason here. I suspect it would be the end of the Oilers franchise. Who would continue to watch let alone support it financially after it traded away two generational players.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Dudes let's be honest Connor will not be willing to wait through a slow rebuild, knock on wood we don't get there (knocked my forehead) but if Connor does make a quiet trade request what would he fetch or better yet what would we be willing to accept?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->