McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Too many factors in play for the difference in one shift to have any effect.
So, why does it have that effect in his points per game between games where he plays over and under 21 minutes.

Are you saying this is just a random occurrence, and it just happens to correlate with his ice-time in wins and losses?

It may be too many factors for one shift if we are talking about 10 games. But, we are talking about something that re-occurs for around 158 games. Almost all of Crosby's career, etc. That can't be attributed to randomness.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hopefully the McDavid flu argument can just go away. I have now read he lost 15 lbs. Come on.

McDavid is better but let's stop with the flu stuff.

Lol 15 lbs

Hopefully posts like this that ignore what the player, coach, GM and team doctors have said can just go away.

Media releases the fact that he had the flu, then had strep while having the first flu, then caught the flu again and you call everyone a liar...you must be his personal physician to have such knowledge that even the team's doctors didn't have. Be quiet Jack.

Reactions: frag2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So, why does it have that effect in his points per game between games where he plays over and under 21 minutes.

Are you saying this is just a random occurrence, and it just happens to correlate with his ice-time in wins and losses?

It may be too many factors for one shift if we are talking about 10 games. But, we are talking about something that re-occurs for around 158 games. Almost all of Crosby's career, etc. That can't be attributed to randomness.
Try to stay on topic.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully posts like this that ignore what the player, coach, GM and team doctors have said can just go away.

Media releases the fact that he had the flu, then had strep while having the first flu, then caught the flu again and you call everyone a liar...you must be his personal physician to have such knowledge that even the team's doctors didn't have. Be quiet Jack.

The hypocrisy of it all

TSN hypes Matthews as McDavid comparable
Leafs nation - see it’s true

TSN reports McDavid has the flu and lost 10-15 lbs
Leafs nation - them liars!!! Burn at the stake

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If you can show me proof that McDavid lost 15 lbs then be my guest. Again, I ask for proof.

Keep in mind I am not claiming he wasn't feeling well.
Idk if it was 15 lbs, but I saw reports of 10lbs. I don't know how any person who isn't close with McDavid would have proof of that unless they snuck into the locker room and took a picture over his shoulder while he was on the scale. I'll take the reports word for it given that it came from a source inside the organization, likely being McLellan or McDavid.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Then Babcock and the entire organization are morons for letting him play if he wasn't 100%. Playing through strep throats and the flu is one thing but playing with a concussion or bad back is just stupid and can have long term effects. Like Kevin Lowe/Steve Tambellini level of stupid.
Right, because no player has ever lied about being healthy or 100% to get back in the lineup. It's on Matthews if he came back before he was comfortable, but he's a 20 year old kid.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Right, because no player has ever lied about being healthy or 100% to get back in the lineup. It's on Matthews if he came back before he was comfortable, but he's a 20 year old kid.
The organization actually holds a ton of responsibility with regards to ensuring their players are healthy. You don't take chances with a young, elite talent like that.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
one sec, let me go get him so he can hop on the scale.

Idk if it was 15 lbs, but I saw reports of 10lbs. I don't know how any person who isn't close with McDavid would have proof of that unless they snuck into the locker room and took a picture over his shoulder while he was on the scale. I'll take the reports word for it given that it came from a source inside the organization, likely being McLellan or McDavid.
The poster I quoted said he lost 15 lbs. He also asked me if I expected the truth to just go away.

Usually the burden of proof is on the claimer, not the claimee.

I highly doubt he lost 15 lbs. I have seen no supporting evidence to believe he lost 15 lbs.

If this is somehow my fault I would be astonished.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If you can show me proof that McDavid lost 15 lbs then be my guest. Again, I ask for proof.

Keep in mind I am not claiming he wasn't feeling well.

If you can show me proof that the number is a lie then I'll believe you. Until then I'll believe McDavid and the Oilers that playing 20+ minutes a night while having the flu and strep throat for a few weeks can cause a player to lose 15 pounds. Hell I've had the flu and strep back to back and lost 10 pounds sitting on the couch playing NHL15. McDavid was able to put up 1 ppg in the NHL and has been noticeably better since getting healthy.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Substantial fluctuations in waterweight are pretty common when sick. Especially if you're getting extensive exercise like he was. Players play sick all the time. Locker rooms are absolute hotbeds for illnesses to thrive and spread quickly. It's not even in the same ballpark as playing with a back injury where mobility is limited.

I said repeatedly to start the season that McDavid was going to improve dramatically. I'm thrilled that he has. He might be the best thing that the league has going for it and I watch him every chance I get. Wish we could get some of the same love from Oilers fans about another one of the games most exciting young players playing on a Canadian team... but it seems insecurity has blinded many, and I can't help but feel like some of you would rather see Matthews in a wheelchair than making an impact on the game approaching McDavid's

Consider me in the minority of fans who wants to see both of these guys at their best.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The poster I quoted said he lost 15 lbs. He also asked me if I expected the truth to just go away.

I highly doubt he lost 15 lbs. I have seen no supporting evidence to believe he lost 15 lbs.

The best proof available was presented. How you would expect anything better that is incomprehensible given the circumstances.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I didn't claim he lost anything, but you seem to be claiming it is a lie, where is your proof.

I'll wait.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Substantial fluctuations in waterweight are pretty common when sick. Especially if you're getting extensive exercise like he was. Players play sick all the time. Locker rooms are absolute hotbeds for illnesses to thrive and spread quickly. It's not even in the same ballpark as playing with a back injury where mobility is limited.

I said repeatedly to start the season that McDavid was going to improve dramatically. I'm thrilled that he has. He might be the best thing that the league has going for it and I watch him every chance I get. Wish we could get some of the same love from Oilers fans about another one of the games most exciting young players playing on a Canadian team... but it seems insecurity has blinded many, and I can't help but feel like some of you would rather see Matthews in a wheelchair than making an impact on the game approaching McDavid's

Consider me in the minority of fans who wants to see both of these guys at their best.

There’s no insecurity. Oilers fans know they have the better player. Hell they still acknowledge Mathews is great. But if he’s not viewed as an equal, apparently it ruffles some feathers...or should I say Leaves.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Get off with that BS. There hasn't been anyone saying Matthews isn't a great young talent. Most if not all would acknowledge that he amongst the top players in the league and happily include him in the group with the likes of Benn, Seguin and other players who have been at or near the top of league scoring in the past. Maybe that is his best?

Reactions: frag2

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
If you can show me proof that the number is a lie then I'll believe you. Until then I'll believe McDavid and the Oilers that playing 20+ minutes a night while having the flu and strep throat for a few weeks can cause a player to lose 15 pounds. Hell I've had the flu and strep back to back and lost 10 pounds sitting on the couch playing NHL15. McDavid was able to put up 1 ppg in the NHL and has been noticeably better since getting healthy.
If I can show you proof that the number presented is a lie? Are you insane? It's on your to prove your claim, not on me to dispute it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When did I say concussions aren’t the same? Isn’t it fair to assume that Laine wouldn’t have returned to play if he was still concussed?

Nobody can confirm if Matthews is even concussed. It’s being treated as such, but nobody knows.... We do know he’s been dealing with back problems for some time now. We do know that hes looked ‘off’ to those who watch him every night.

And McDavid has looked off also since he has been dealing with the flu, strep throat, and the flu again that affected his play which also zapped his energy where he lost up to 10 lbs. Now we are back to square 1 when you jumped in trying to dismiss this when other players were playing far from his peak efficiency. If you want to make excuses, then atleast be consistent. The Redwings avatar is not fooling anyone. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/139044585/

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
The best proof available was presented. How you would expect anything better that is incomprehensible given the circumstances.
Come on, where is the proof that he lost 15 lbs. Besides heresay. Sorry, not buying it. Did the oilers or McDavid say it?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You mean there's no logged report of how much weight every NHL player loses due to whatever illness they may comedown with? The poster isn't just denying that he lost 15lbs, he's saying he never had a flu at all and simply "wasn't feeling well".

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Come on, where is the proof that he lost 15 lbs. Besides heresay. Sorry, not buying it. Did the oilers or McDavid say it?
So is Matthews a healthy scratch? Do you have the doctors report on him to prove anything is wrong with him? Prove it, am I supposed to believe heresay?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bob Stauffer said on the radio a couple weeks ago that McDavid was down to around 175. His listed weight is 192. Stauffer is the closest to the team of any media member.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If I can show you proof that the number presented is a lie? Are you insane? It's on your to prove your claim, not on me to dispute it.
You're also disputing that he even had the flu twice or strep throat. Both have been reported as fact. You're saying he "wasn't feeling well". That has been proven yet you still dispute it as well. The same people who let it be known that he had the flu twice and strep also said he lost 15 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad