Rumor: McDavid Camp Seeking 14m Per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
The only player from Draisaitl's draft class that can compare to him stats wise is Nylander with the Leafs. They both have the same PPG avg.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm hoping there's a last minute appeal to McD's sense of superstition, and he signs for 8 years/$97M. That's still a healthy $12.12M a year- another cool number.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Draisaitl hasnt proven **** as a C so i agree with you.
Before the playoffs he was a 6.75M player.. not sure how 9 good playoffs games jumped him up to ~9M per.

Easy, it's free agency and you overpay. With mcdavid getting some much and chia basically saying that we will match any offer for drai, if you were an up and coming team, wouldn't you consider offering drai the 9.8 mill a year, make another up and coming team pay 2.5 mill a year more than they want.

Look at the teams that could possibly offer sheet him.

Arizona if they are willing to spend
Buffalo has lots of cap and guys coming off the books in the next two years
Carolina has the cap space and the need, been linked to duchesne
Florida could
Montreal could, drai instead of radulov. That'd give them their C
Nashville could
Jersey could... reunite hall and drai
Rangers have a 1C spot and cap space (linked to shatty)
San Jose could and same division which may mean more likely
St. Louis could and they need a 1C
Vancouver could and same division to affect us

-we should be happy Calgary traded picks for hamonic otherwise they could have done it too especially with stajan, bouma, backlund all off the books next year

Now with all the possibilities. No way does drai not at least wait and see if there's an offer. If we sign him before July 1st it's because we are offering close to that 9.8 mill line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Easy, it's free agency and you overpay. With mcdavid getting some much and chia basically saying that we will match any offer for drai, if you were an up and coming team, wouldn't you consider offering drai the 9.8 mill a year, make another up and coming team pay 2.5 mill a year more than they want.

Look at the teams that could possibly offer sheet him.

Arizona if they are willing to spend
Buffalo has lots of cap and guys coming off the books in the next two years
Carolina has the cap space and the need, been linked to duchesne
Florida could
Montreal could, drai instead of radulov. That'd give them their C
Nashville could
Jersey could... reunite hall and drai
Rangers have a 1C spot and cap space (linked to shatty)
San Jose could and same division which may mean more likely
St. Louis could and they need a 1C
Vancouver could and same division to affect us

-we should be happy Calgary traded picks for hamonic otherwise they could have done it too especially with stajan, bouma, backlund all off the books next year

Now with all the possibilities. No way does drai not at least wait and see if there's an offer. If we sign him before July 1st it's because we are offering close to that 9.8 mill line.

If he's sitting around waiting for an offer sheet, fine, we should take care of ourselves. I would get on the phone and start discussing a swap for MacKinnon or a trade to LA for Doughty. Can't let the player have all the power.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
It's gonna be bye bye to Nuge, Lucic, Sekera, and Russell over the next few years. Cannot have those types of players earning that kind of salary, need to find cheaper replacements if you want to have a cap structure like a Pittsburgh.

Talbot will need a pay raise to the 6-7m range too in a couple of years.

Also are going to need to hit pay dirt with cheap young players like Guentzal, so time for our scouting department to deliver. No pressure.

Beyond that, Pittsburgh has two McDavid caliber players, we only have one. That's just a minor problem though. No big deal, right?

You act like It's Crosby and Malkin and just a bunch of cheap plugs for the rest of the team. In addition to those two, the Pens also had a 6.8m cap hit for Kessel, 7.25m for Letang, 5.75 for Fleury, 4m+ for Hagelin,Hornqvist,Matta. Even with McDavid and Drai at new deals, they can still afford a few other higher priced guys.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You act like It's Crosby and Malkin and just a bunch of cheap plugs for the rest of the team. In addition to those two, the Pens also had a 6.8m cap hit for Kessel, 7.25m for Letang, 5.75 for Fleury, 4m+ for Hagelin,Hornqvist,Matta. Even with McDavid and Drai at new deals, they can still afford a few other higher priced guys.

We.

Don't.

Have.

Kessel.

Letang.

Stop with the Penguins comparisons. Draisaitl isn't as good as Malkin either, Malkin is in McDavid's tier.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
We.

Don't.

Have.

Kessel.

Letang.

Stop with the Penguins comparisons. Draisaitl isn't as good as Malkin either, Malkin is in McDavid's tier.

I'm talking caphits, not players. Your the one who said it's bye to the likes of Nuge, etc, and i showed you that it's not all just a bunch of cheap plugs filling out the rest of the Pens roster.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
If he's sitting around waiting for an offer sheet, fine, we should take care of ourselves. I would get on the phone and start discussing a swap for MacKinnon or a trade to LA for Doughty. Can't let the player have all the power.

I doubt LA trades doughty. If they offered doughty, you'd take it and run. Drai is better than mac, are we willing to move drai for a guy a fewer years older and not as talented? Because we don't want to pay him what some other team will

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great poll right here

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2364489

53 yes 4 no.

Sure really proves your point doesn't it?

i wasn't trying to prove a point... somebody said to make a poll, and i thought "yeah, that is a good idea, lets see what other people think about this".... they pretty much all seem to agree that the contract is still worth it

i agree for the most part, and would certainly still sign him to that deal.... however, it does prove that mcdavid cares more about money than winning.... can't blame the guy too much really, but i just don't like hypocrites, so i've lost a lot of respect for mcdavid because of this (i'm sure he's crying at home knowing this, lol)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You keep stating this like the past is always the present.

Pittsburg had 50.7% of its salary locked in last year in 5 players. Fluery, Crosby, Kessel, Malkin, Letang. They won the cup.

We arent in that bad of shape if McDavid and Drai take up 29%, because our goalie and 2 top dmen are locked in cheaper.

This isnt all doom and gloom like many are stating. Its just reality.

you know talbot only has 2 years left on his deal right? furthermore, that we are VERY likely to lose him after those 2 years, thanks to these mcdavid/drai contracts, right? (not too mention maroon next year, and likely 1 of benning/nurse as well)

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Drai @ 9M vs RNH @ 6M as 2C + return for Drai

torn!

RNH + return for Drai will be well in excess of $9M unless the return is picks, in which case we are taking a real step back in terms of our ability to contend anytime soon.

The Blackhawks/Penguins model is our best chance of success moving forward. Two expensive stars surrounded by cheaper complementary pieces. RNH may have to go and Chia will have to draft or acquire cheap guys like Sheary, Rust, Versteeg and Shaw (back in the day) who will not break the bank. Unfortunately our track record in that department is not so great. Maybe Strome is a start...

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
you know talbot only has 2 years left on his deal right? furthermore, that we are VERY likely to lose him after those 2 years, thanks to these mcdavid/drai contracts, right? (not too mention maroon next year, and likely 1 of benning/nurse as well)

The guy already makes 4.16m...2 years from now, he'll be 31 years old. Bishop just signed a UFA deal near 6m. Guys like Holtby are also at the 6m range. Even if he gets a raise from 4-->6m in a couple of years, i'm sure the cap will have gone up by more than 2mil in that time to help offset it.

atowalters

May 29, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry, but saying that we would be content with Leon making 7 to 7.5 and not 9+ isn't exactly stating he is a "below average" player. But create whatever narrative you want.

Just the narative that hes not as good as people think regardless of what we saw in the last two seasons. I would be fine with 8 mills. But regardless. McDavid and Drai are your best two players who happen to star in this league.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH + return for Drai will be well in excess of $9M unless the return is picks, in which case we are taking a real step back in terms of our ability to contend anytime soon.

The Blackhawks/Penguins model is our best chance of success moving forward. Two expensive stars surrounded by cheaper complementary pieces. RNH may have to go and Chia will have to draft or acquire cheap guys like Sheary, Rust, Versteeg and Shaw (back in the day) who will not break the bank. Unfortunately our track record in that department is not so great. Maybe Strome is a start...

umm we already have RNH so its
RNH+Return for Drai vs Drai + return for RNH

Drai can return someone like Parayko or Faulk+Aho
RNH can return umm someone comparable to R.Strome.. cheaper 3C

Looking at ~13M in either case.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
i wasn't trying to prove a point... somebody said to make a poll, and i thought "yeah, that is a good idea, lets see what other people think about this".... they pretty much all seem to agree that the contract is still worth it

i agree for the most part, and would certainly still sign him to that deal.... however, it does prove that mcdavid cares more about money than winning.... can't blame the guy too much really, but i just don't like hypocrites, so i've lost a lot of respect for mcdavid because of this (i'm sure he's crying at home knowing this, lol)

You don't like hypocrites? Remove your McDavid avatar. After all. You lost respect for him and blindly believe he cares more for money than winning.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You don't like hypocrites? Remove your McDavid avatar. After all. You lost respect for him and blindly believe he cares more for money than winning.

i can still like what he does on the ice, and not respect the person.... i'm capable of having opposing ideas in my head... this isn't that hard, lol

i don't *believe* he cares more for money than winning, if he signs a 13.25 million/year deal, all the evidence we have will *prove* this to be correct

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
i can still like what he does on the ice, and not respect the person.... i'm capable of having opposing ideas in my head... this isn't that hard, lol

i don't *believe* he cares more for money than winning, if he signs a 13.25 million/year deal, all the evidence we have will *prove* this to be correct

Well, thars not hypocritical at all.

:shakehead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chances are that the best hockey player in the world will be playing at least 9 more seasons in Edmonton, if the cap hit comes in a little higher than we'd like yeah it sucks but remember that this isn't Hall, RNH or Eberle we're talking about. He's at least twice as good as those guys and even Drai is in a tier above them when they were at their, best especially when you add in his size and ability to play center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->