McCabe is a Stone Cold Idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
mooseOAK said:
The article doesn't mention whether his comments were made before or after the NHLPA offer.

It actually doesn't matter when it was made as their original offer included a luxury tax. Like with everyone be very careful what you say as it can come back and bite you.

mooseOAK*

DR said:
No they are not .. In the business world, salaries are tied to a budget.

If revenues go down then people can be fired or have their hours or wages cut, in the business world. Get rid of guaranteed contracts and the owners could act the same as in the business world.

The players have no problem and encourage the owners to set and stick to a budget.

Due to the potential for collusion charges by the union, the owners need to have that in writing.

In the real world, your boss can decide to exceed his budget if thinks it’s a good business decision to do so. He isnt "capped" by some legislation.

My boss has his boss and his boss and the bank to answer to. That's his cap.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
DR said:
No they are not .. In the business world, salaries are tied to a budget. The players have no problem and encourage the owners to set and stick to a budget.

In the real world, your boss can decide to exceed his budget if thinks it’s a good business decision to do so. He isnt "capped" by some legislation.

Next ..

DR

This is true but most budgets are tied to Revenues. Most companies would not give every person a raise to outweigh the revenues. Those companies eventually go into bankrupcy. I have no problem with teams adding one or two players that occassionally are higher than revenues but the problem with sports that in any given year you don't know what the revenues would be (i.e., will the make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs this is uncertain...injuries can effect this as well as a number of factors beyond the owners, GMS control). That is why I would favor a system that had a cap for most players but that there are exceptions for one or two players that are exceptional.

I think the players should negoiate a cap but with maybe much lower free agencies and other stuff...budget is important but has to be based on something and it is usually revenues and costs...

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
mooseOAK said:
If revenues go down then people can be fired or have their hours or wages cut, in the business world. Get rid of guaranteed contracts and the owners could act the same as in the business world.
thats not the nature of contracts. just as you can quit if you dont feel you are being paid fairly and a player can not. thats why its a contract, it ties BOTH parties.

mooseOAK said:
Due to the potential for collusion charges by the union, the owners need to have that in writing.
have what in writing ? they can take notes in their budget meeting and have them notarized if they feel its neccesary. no one is suggesting each NHL collude to set a common budget.

mooseOAK said:
My boss has his boss and his boss and the bank to answer to. That's his cap.
this is absolutly correct. everyone has a boss. however, like i said in my original post, if it makes good business sense to exceed a budget, the boss (and the bank) have the ability to say "ok". this is not the case in an artifically capped world.

dr

mooseOAK*

DR said:
thats not the nature of contracts. just as you can quit if you dont feel you are being paid fairly and a player can not. thats why its a contract, it ties BOTH parties.
Right, so let's not bring the "business world" into the discussion because it isn't relevant from either sides' point of view.

have what in writing ? they can take notes in their budget meeting and have them notarized if they feel its neccesary. no one is suggesting each NHL collude to set a common budget.
But they are suggesting that the upper end of the salary structure be based on what the small number of richest teams can afford and the league can't survive that way.

this is absolutly correct. everyone has a boss. however, like i said in my original post, if it makes good business sense to exceed a budget, the boss (and the bank) have the ability to say "ok". this is not the case in an artifically capped world.

It isn't artificial, it is based on the total revenues that the owners with the help of the players generate.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
The article doesn't mention whether his comments were made before or after the NHLPA offer.
Well the article is dated today and the NHLPA offer 2 months ago .. So I am pretty sure we know ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PepNCheese said:
Bingo.

The weakest part of the owners' position is their total deflection of responsibility to "the inflationary system".
I agree

The biggest Irony as well in this whole Bettman linkage to revenue concept, Is that it is all based on generating more revenue in theory.

SO in a free market world like the old CBA by nature provided the opportunity of the Big Market teams to generate the most revenue for the NHL..

By turning them loose and icing All-Star teams that fans will pay more to see in ticket prices and bring in more fans in opposing building for the star power, would actually serve the greater cause. . .If the NHL could recreate the Oilers of the 1980's to attract fans and then have the Big Market teams build teams to take them on for the Cup .. That would generate interest and reveune for the NHL ..

While I agree it does not create parity but what is more important though MORE REVENUE or MORE PARITY in the NHL to grown the game. .

Bettman could then take the excess revenue from the strong teams and big markets teams as revenue sharing to top up markets like Edmonton that fill the building put are taped out in their ability to generate revenue for the league.. Revenue sharing would allow them to add a star player through UFA or keep its own Stars and that in turn raises them up closer to the top teams ..rather then Bettman tearing down the strong for the good of the weak .. and then tying the players directly to that concept verses linkage ..

IMO its backwards thinking by Bettman .. and McCabe well that is just not thinking at all.

If the strong teams need to keep the NHL strong by their revenues.. then they need to remain strong on the ice to accomplish that .. NO??

Perhaps the first goal should be to make a profitable league across 30 teams and improve the excitment level of the game to allow those other markets to generate more fan interest .. Finally implement a system the creates parity on the ice ..

Last edited:

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
PepNCheese said:
Bingo.

The weakest part of the owners' position is their total deflection of responsibility to "the inflationary system".

One owner with one stupid contract can inflate the salaries for all similar players. If owners didn't overpay for any players, teams wouldn't have any players. You think it's reasonable that every owner acts like Bill Wirtz? Now there's a great way to make the game more popular.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I used to love hockey now ive finally got to the point that the whole bunch of them (players and owners) can kiss my a_ _ I will never spend another dime on a hockey ticket again. Maybe all the fans should just say screw you. If these players cant live off what they make then they deserve to get a real job. I will be lucky to make 1 million in all my work career and they are crying over an avg of 1.3- 1.6 per year. Its not just McCabe that is a stoned cold idiot its all of them. As for the owners if they wouldnt of been so irresponsible this a cap never would of been needed. Just cancel the next few seasons and get a gripe on reality morons.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Anyone who tries to draw comparisions between running an NHL team and "the business world" is either not familiar with the business world or is an idiot.

You can't compare the two because the operating structures of real-life businesses and NHL franchises are completely different.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
What is wrong with this guy?

Actually, forget that, what is wrong with the NHLPA. I used to think of them as an incredibly well run machine that was very solid and very calculating. But this guy keeps going off the deep end with his I'll die before I play with a cap bs! He is just overdoing it and he comes off sounding like an idiot, which only makes the PA look like idiots since he is one of the 30 reps.

Also, Id love to know which morons in the Leaf dressing room thought this would be a good PA rep. You got a room with Niew, Robrts,Blfr, Sundn...and they picked this moron? What, did he beat out Tucker and Domi?

Honestly, if Im Bob Goodenow, I shut the 3 tenors up now. Every time Tucker, Domi and McCabe speak, hockey loses credibility and class.

man, i long for the days of Sittler/McDonald/Salming.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PepNCheese said:
Bingo.

If your home were on fire, would it be more important to put out the flames or find out what started it? Right now, the NHL is on fire and the owners are trying to put out the flames. The facts the owners' carelessness started the fire really matters little.
Ultimately, pinning the blame on one side or the other (FWIW I blame the owners, or at least some of them) is irrelevant. What's relevant is fixing the system.

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
CarlRacki said:
If your home were on fire, would it be more important to put out the flames or find out what started it? Right now, the NHL is on fire and the owners are trying to put out the flames.
Ultimately, pinning the blame on one side or the other (FWIW I blame the owners, or at least some of them) is irrelevant. What's relevant is fixing the system.

actually, the guys who started the fire are still standing around with gasoline and matchbooks. even with a US$ 31 million salary cap, a team like the Rangers may only have Holik signed for $ 2 million on the books, but his "personal services" contract to Cablevision (excuse me if i'm wrong about the owner) will still be $ 7 million. Without revenue sharing, the rich owners are always going to cheat because... well, they can afford to.

Crazy Lunatic

DR said:
No they are not .. In the business world, salaries are tied to a budget. The players have no problem and encourage the owners to set and stick to a budget.

Next ..

DR

The business is the National Hockey League, not the individual teams. Cost certainty *is* a budget. Glad you came on board and support a cap.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DR said:

Speaking of dumb, look who shows up...DR!

Let me just put it to you this way.

In THIS real world, the NHL bosses have decide that it's not a good business decision to exceed their budget...which part of this don't you understand?

...and by your statement, are you admitting that the NHL players are not living in the real world?

Next...

Brent Burns Beard