Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
So wait a second. You keep proclaiming that Floyd winning was never in question and never for second in any trouble, yet you also say that Floyd couldn't have ended it sooner? Maybe it's me, but it seems like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. If he was never in jeopardy and the outcome was never in doubt, why wouldn't he have poured it on earlier than he did? Oh yeah, that's right. Because he's a risk adverse little kittykat that even when facing a guy with no chance to do anything against him, plays it safe to a ridiculous level. That's exactly why the guy is a sham.

Again, and I don't understand why this needs to be explained to someone who claims to follow Boxing so many times, as you take more risks offensively, you open up more opportunities for your opponent. Why present your opponent opportunities that you don't need to? What does Mayweather have to gain by doing this? you can never answer this, you just run and hide from it over and over and over again. Fact is he has no reason to, it isn't the smart play, it's just you want a reason to criticise the man and moan because you don't like his style. But his style undeniably works, so your opinion of it means nothing.

Again, but you won't answer because you never do. Why does it make any sense for Floyd to push the issue sooner than he is ready? I've asked you this what must be a dozen times, you can never provide an answer.

Again, how many KO's for Floyd in the last decade?

How many KOs for Floyd in his last ten fights?

Floyd tried to bet on himself to KO in under 9.5 rounds, so evidently the fight went (a little) longer than he was expecting.. But here's LSCII the expert who knows better than the man himself :laugh:

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Atta boy, crack a smile and lighten up a tad!

The fight was entertainment. A spectacle. That's why we all bought the PPV, and nobody was disappointed except maybe Dana White who apparently really did believe Conor was going to knock him out.

So what if Mayweather got to 50-0 by fighting an amateur boxer. It's not like people were sitting there thinking "oh now he's better than Marciano, it's official" or something stupid like that. I mean, surely Marciano beat up a few tomato cans along the way too. Everyone does. Like the analysts were saying, there are other boxers that got to 100-0 or 130-0 before eventually losing a fight. So it's not like 50-0 is some magical milestone, people just like round numbers.

I'm just curious as to what the next mega fight spectacle is going to be. Mike Tyson fighting an alligator? Sure, I'll buy it. These things only happen once in a while. I'd love the heavyweight division to return to the glory days where there was a mega fight every year if not more often. But until that happens, I'm happy to be entertained by novelties such as we saw last night.

Now that is something I'd pay to see. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again, and I don't understand why this needs to be explained to someone who claims to follow Boxing so many times, as you take more risks offensively, you open up more opportunities for your opponent. Why present your opponent opportunities that you don't need to?

Again, but you won't answer because you never do. Why does it make any sense for Floyd to push the issue sooner than he is ready? I've asked you this what must be a dozen times, you can never provide an answer.

Again, how many KO's for Floyd in the last decade?

How many KOs for Floyd in his last ten fights?

Floyd tried to bet on himself to KO in under 9.5 rounds, so evidently the fight went (a little) longer than he was expecting. But here's LSCII the expert who knows better than the man himself :laugh:

It's one thing to play it safe against guys like De La Hoya, Canelo, Judah, Cotto, or Pacquiao, who could potentially cause you some harm. It's another to do it against a guy, like you've said here a bunch, that never put Floyd at risk. Why play it safe when you know the guy can't hurt you? Last night was just that. He played it safe right up to the last minute, even though he didn't have to. This is why he's a boring fighter and aesthetically not fun to watch.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
On a different note though, I think it will be very interesting to see how McGregor's stand up game benefits from his focus on just boxing. It was already very good to start with, but now that he's honed that skill a bit, it could be even more explosive. Should be fun to watch his next fight, regardless of whom that is against.

I'd personally love to see it be Khabib, but that will never happen because Khabib can't consistently make weight.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
It's one thing to play it safe against guys like De La Hoya, Canelo, Judah, Cotto, or Pacquiao, who could potentially cause you some harm. It's another to do it against a guy, like you've said here a bunch, that never put Floyd at risk. Why play it safe when you know the guy can't hurt you? Last night was just that. He played it safe right up to the last minute, even though he didn't have to. This is why he's a boring fighter and aesthetically not fun to watch.

So again, and I ask over and over and over and over, and again you run and hide from the question. What does Floyd have to gain by doing what you keep advocating for.

You keep saying he should do it, and when pressed to provide any justification why you never do.

And you won't again, because you're completely full of it.

As I've said previously, Conor had a punchers chance, that was it. In Boxing there's always a punchers chance, why open any potential door even a crack further when you don't need to.

Watch you run and hide again.

It's like you don't realise the point is to win. Floyd takes the smartest avenue to get there. Provide any argument to support the nonsense you continue to spew.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So wait a second. You keep proclaiming that Floyd winning was never in question and never for second in any trouble, yet you also say that Floyd couldn't have ended it sooner? Maybe it's me, but it seems like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. If he was never in jeopardy and the outcome was never in doubt, why wouldn't he have poured it on earlier than he did? Oh yeah, that's right. Because he's a risk adverse little kittykat that even when facing a guy with no chance to do anything against him, plays it safe to a ridiculous level. That's exactly why the guy is a sham.

Turn the tables for a moment. It's an MMA fight. Conor's formula for beating Floyd would be to take him to the ground and finish the fight. However, he has to be wary of getting tagged while shooting, so he takes his time wearing Floyd down with kicks. Once he is confident that Floyd is vulnerable, he shoots and the fight is over. Safe and smart. Risk is a fool's errand when you are a heavy favourite..

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
So again, and I ask over and over and over and over, and again you run and hide from the question. What does Floyd have to gain by doing what you keep advocating for.

You keep saying he should do it, and when pressed to provide any justification why you never do.

As I've said previously, Conor had a punchers chance, that was it. In Boxing there's always a punchers chance, why open any potential door even a crack further when you don't need to.

It's like you don't realise the point is to win. Floyd takes the smartest avenue to get there. Provide any argument to support the nonsense you continue to spew.

He debates like Floyd boxes, except he never wins.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Turn the tables for a moment. It's an MMA fight. Conor's formula for beating Floyd would be to take him to the ground and finish the fight. However, he has to be wary of getting tagged while shooting, so he takes his time wearing Floyd down with kicks. Once he is confident that Floyd is vulnerable, he shoots and the fight is over. Safe and smart. Risk is a fool's errand when you are a heavy favourite..

:handclap: If I could like a post on here I would like this, but I can't, so I'm just going to post.

Not that LSCII will accept this, he'll move the posts as usual :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Maybe. I think you're right that he'd kick the crap out of him with his legs, then go in for the kill, but whether that was on the ground or not, I don't know. Mainly because his style the entire time he's fought in MMA hasn't really been to go to the ground. He's a counter puncher, but also very offensive minded, but typically just in stand up. Against a boxer with no ground game though, he may well just go there. Hard to say. I think a case could be made that he'd be happy just to pick him apart with kicks too.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You kept saying he was in control and never at risk. You tell me why he didn't go in for the finish earlier? If he was in such control and never at risk, what is he actually risking? Seems pretty clear that the end result was going to be the end result, regardless of when it came, no?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This, x 100.

The worst part of all in this is that, assuming he beats Kevin Lee, there's now zero chance Tony Ferguson gets a shot at Conor in the foreseeable future. Dana will not risk back to back losses.

Even if you consider this a true loss, this is still wrong. First, they gave their other star in Rousey a very tough fight when she came back and lost.

Or even more comparable, after he lost to Nate they gave him Nate again.

So Dana won't risk the star losing back to back fights?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I actually disagree that there was never any risk. There's always a risk. A well-placed punch in the face can knock anybody out, there's just varying degrees of likelihood. Floyd said it himself, Conor was better than he expected. He did what was necessary to knock him out within 12 rounds, which is the objective of a boxing match. I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to be foolish and risk taking that one perfect punch just to try and end the fight 15 minutes quicker.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You kept saying he was in control and never at risk. You tell me why he didn't go in for the finish earlier? If he was in such control and never at risk, what is he actually risking? Seems pretty clear that the end result was going to be the end result, regardless of when it came, no?

Surprise, you dodge the question yet again.

He got the result, he didn't get hurt, so it's mission accomplished for Floyd. My stance doesn't need any further justification, it worked, job complete. You're the one continuing to make these foolish comments with nothing to support them.

Now, again, why would he go in for the finish earlier? what benefit is it to Floyd to push for the finish sooner.

It is absolutely hilarious how many times you have ducked this question. You've been exposed over and over and over again.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I actually disagree that there was never any risk. There's always a risk. A well-placed punch in the face can knock anybody out, there's just varying degrees of likelihood. Floyd said it himself, Conor was better than he expected. He did what was necessary to knock him out within 12 rounds, which is the objective of a boxing match. I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to be foolish and risk taking that one perfect punch just to try and end the fight 15 minutes quicker.

Exactly. While Floyd never looked like he was going to lose the fight, or even that he was struggling, there is always a punchers chance. Giving your opponent more opportunity makes zero sense.

Well to anyone but LSCII, but he can never actually explain why it makes sense :laugh:

The only compelling reason for Floyd to push sooner would be if cardio was an issue, but as we know, that quite clearly is not the case in this situation. It's one of Floyd's greatest attributes and one of the big reasons why pushing more makes no sense for him.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Floyd has always come forward when the situation has dictated it.

Most high end fighters are guys that are used to having the speed/skill advantage. They traditionally want to come forward, seek and destroy their opponent. Mayweather is a little guy that hasn't had much punching power since his PBF days, running and counter-punching is the prudent move for him.

Every fight where it has advantaged Mayweather to go forward he has done so. He went forward in this fight, he stalked down Zab Judah like he was freaking Arturo Gatti in their fight, he chased down and beat the crap out of the actual Arturo Gatti in their fight, he went toe to toe with a serious knockout artist in N'dou, he stood and traded with Sugar Shane.

The narrative about Mayweather always running is not true. He plays defensively when that advantages him, he comes forward and exchanges when he needs to as well.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Surprise, you dodge the question yet again.

He got the result, he didn't get hurt, so it's mission accomplished for Floyd. My stance doesn't need any further justification, it worked, job complete.

Now, again, why would he go in for the finish earlier? what benefit is it to Floyd to push for the finish sooner.

It is absolutely hilarious how many times you have ducked this question. You've been exposed over and over and over again.

Cause it's more exciting and appealing to those with short-attention spans?

Watched it a friends house yesterday, and his father was a boxer in the 70's and he couldn't take his eyes of the screen. He capped it off best by saying "Mayweather studied Conor, toyed with him and beat him soundly without ever putting himself at risk."

It's boxing. Not the WWE or MMA. You score wins by points...why put yourself at risk going for the early KO? Mayweather earned 200+ mil last night without putting himself in danger... :laugh:

The narrative about Mayweather always running is not true. He plays defensively when that advantages him, he comes forward and exchanges when he needs to as well.

As demonstrated by some of his KO's.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This, x 100.

The worst part of all in this is that, assuming he beats Kevin Lee, there's now zero chance Tony Ferguson gets a shot at Conor in the foreseeable future. Dana will not risk back to back losses.

Conor's next fight will most likely be against Nate Diaz, who is just as tough of a match up as Ferguson. They're not worried about risk and won't be protecting him at all.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

Too bad Conor couldnt have ducked and dodged Mayweather's punches in the last round like you are Morozov's questions.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
It would be safe to say that Conor was going to fall before the end of the round. Satisfying one's blood lust isn't a reasonable justification for standing by and letting him get knocked out. I think we have come far enough in the sport to know what catastrophic effects could happen.

Stoppages don't happen in either boxing or MMA before the fighter even starts taking punishment.

This was a work.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Besides Conor. So much talk how he will dominate Mayweather from the start. Where's all the talk now? He said he hits so hard that Mayweather can't guard his punches. I saw straight from the beginning that it isn't possible and as you can see he's not even close to Canelo with his power.

To me, the greatest factor in this fight was the gloves size. Some spoke a bit about it, but not to the degree of importance this element has.

It changes everything !!

from the energy you put in a hit, the energy you put in avoiding a hit and the energy or capacity you loose as you get hit. a couple of inches difference and the difference is deadly.

glove size allows you to get hit without being hurt or being hit immediately and be able to calculate ....
Yet do not expect conor that have as much power as a boxer (althoug Cain had more than Evander holifield) ... MMA fighters have a much more balanced body for a determined weight than boxers who are pure hitting machines and know little more.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Stoppages don't happen in either boxing or MMA before the fighter even starts taking punishment.

This was a work.

It was a bit of a work to be sure. I'm sure that before this fight was signed off on there was an agreement in place that would protect Conor from suffering a career ending injury. Go up a couple of posts and see the beatings Floyd has dished out. A clearly defenseless Conor getting pummeled until he drops serves no purpose. If you think he was somehow going to recover, then perhaps you have a legit beef. It all ended in a nice little bow. Floyd wins, Conor didn't embarrass himself and there's that little nugget of doubt that it was stopped too early.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
To be fair most of that video are fights from a very, very long time ago.

I think it had to be expected that the ref would be a little more eager to wrap it up if McGregor fell into trouble, possibly for the reasons mentioned, but also simply for the fact he is not a Boxer. There had to be extra care taken there, and that's what it is, looking after these guys. McGregor by no means got screwed out of a win.

You can't be shuffling back, looking exhausted, not defending yourself and expect the ref to let that last long.

If even Dana was happy with it then it's a pretty good indication it was fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->