Maybe ESPN does have interest in the NHL

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
When is there any politics on during the game? The protests happened during the national anthem. It's not like they spend the whole game talking about players kneeling. Turn it on a little later for God's sake.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
When is there any politics on during the game? The protests happened during the national anthem. It's not like they spend the whole game talking about players kneeling. Turn it on a little later for God's sake.

Well, keep in mind people also pay attention to the other shows, not just the games. I'm not one of them, but the shows like around the horn(is that still a thing), first take, all those other bullcrap shows. Guess what a talking point is on those shows, instead of the actual sports and players themselves, players kneeling during the anthem. It goes further than just the game itself.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Well, keep in mind people also pay attention to the other shows, not just the games. I'm not one of them, but the shows like around the horn(is that still a thing), first take, all those other bullcrap shows. Guess what a talking point is on those shows, instead of the actual sports and players themselves, players kneeling during the anthem. It goes further than just the game itself.

Sure but those shows are easy enough to ignore (especially a show like Around the Horn or PTI which literally have bars that show what topic is next.) So it's pretty easy to ignore these topics, even if you want to watch those types of shows. It just sounds to me like a bunch of these people that don't like the athletes protesting need a safe space. ;)

Reactions: Epsilon

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sure but those shows are easy enough to ignore (especially a show like Around the Horn or PTI which literally have bars that show what topic is next.) So it's pretty easy to ignore these topics, even if you want to watch those types of shows. It just sounds to me like a bunch of these people that don't like the athletes protesting need a safe space. ;)

If the players want to protest then protest outside the stadium when its not during games but when you put the uniform on for the game I expect them to act professional. Kneeling before the anthem is not the right medium for their protests. Its just getting fans upset at them.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If the players want to protest then protest outside the stadium when its not during games but when you put the uniform on for the game I expect them to act professional. Kneeling before the anthem is not the right medium for their protests. Its just getting fans upset at them.

Right, it's a better idea to call attention to their cause when they aren't on TV and millions of people aren't watching. When are they not acting professional? They aren't out there f***ing around in the middle of the game. They're kneeling during something completely pointless and unnecessary before the game.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
NOTICE:

This topic is being discussed on the hf Politics Board, totally unmoderated, best you be
taking it over there if you wish to further discuss the matter of player protests, kneeling etc.

Further posts on this issue will be Deleted ....
enough with the OT Thread Hijacking people.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
NOTICE:

This topic is being discussed on the hf Politics Board, totally unmoderated, best you be
taking it over there if you wish to further discuss the matter of player protests, kneeling etc.

Well yeah, if they want to follow me over there I'd be more than happy to continue.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Killion

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Getting back to the topic, I would like the NHL to get a multi network deal so that they can expand coverage of the league. While exclusive TV deals does get us more money, we tend to get ignored if solely on one network.

NBC does a great job in covering the league but NBCSN is rarely on in bars and restaurants. If we can get a deal where one or two games a week are on Fox or ESPN with remaining games on NBC, that would help a lot.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Getting back to the topic, I would like the NHL to get a multi network deal so that they can expand coverage of the league. While exclusive TV deals does get us more money, we tend to get ignored if solely on one network.

NBC does a great job in covering the league but NBCSN is rarely on in bars and restaurants. If we can get a deal where one or two games a week are on Fox or ESPN with remaining games on NBC, that would help a lot.
NBC Sports really needs more than just hockey. The NHL just isn't a big enough draw on its own to carry a network in the US the way that MLB has carried TBS' sports programming or how the NFL has carried FOX or college basketball/SEC football has carried CBS and college football/NBA has carried ESPN. NBC desperately needs something else to prop up their network and give it true legitimacy. Yes, they have Sunday Night football, and the Olympics, but those get placed on NBC proper and the Premier League coverage, while excellent, is at hours that doesn't move the needle in the US.

I mean really... outside of watching a NHL game, when was the last time you put on NBCSports?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NBC Sports really needs more than just hockey. The NHL just isn't a big enough draw on its own to carry a network in the US the way that MLB has carried TBS' sports programming or how the NFL has carried FOX or college basketball/SEC football has carried CBS and college football/NBA has carried ESPN. NBC desperately needs something else to prop up their network and give it true legitimacy. Yes, they have Sunday Night football, and the Olympics, but those get placed on NBC proper and the Premier League coverage, while excellent, is at hours that doesn't move the needle in the US.

I mean really... outside of watching a NHL game, when was the last time you put on NBCSports?

lurkerbee:

Comcast has done wonders through regional Sports Networks, as Fox did with its regional Sports Networks because they , along with CBS, recognize that Sports divisions cannot solely rely on broadcast network coverage....

why did Disney essentially shutter ABC's Sports Division after 2006, and ESPN became that network producer/provider....

CBS has its own cable network, as NBC does, depending on region, you have NBCSN, and a regional NBC Sports channel on most systems....

Fox did the same thing by diversifying off 1 sport focus, when it rebranded SPEED to FS1, Fuel, became FS2.

WHY DO YOU HAVE NBC Sports Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington, Bay Area/California, and the newest NBC Sports Northwest, which covers Oregon, etc.... not all Premier League games are on NBCSN, some are shuttled to CNBC, or other Universal Networks, that are on most systems.... not everything Olympic was on NBC/NBCSN, BUT THEY USE ALL Networks under NBC Universal.... USA, has done sports, not a lot, but they are an option.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I've watched a ton of it over the last month with the NHL, Olympics & the Premier League
That's the thing.... Olympics are for a few weeks every 2 years, and through 2022 will happen on Asia time, when the majority of the US is asleep. 2024 being in Paris will help a little, but that coverage mostly will still be wrapping up live coverage before people return home from work. Much like the issues that the EPL has with their live coverage, that just doesn't translate well for US broadcasting during peak sports times, be it noon-midnight on weekends and 5pm to midnight on weekdays. That's a gap the NHL has on its own, and its just not a strong enough league in the US to carry a network during those peak hours.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
I have watched NBCSN much, much more than ESPN because of the NHL and the Olympics. If you walk into my house and turn the TV on the station was probably left on either NBCSN or Fox Sports North. Rarely, if ever will the TV be on ESPN, only in the fall for college football.

NBS Sports is built around Sunday Night Football, the NHL, Olympics, Notre Dame football, and the EPL. It's a different strategy than ESPN but not necessarily the wrong one.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
^Also, IndyCar and cycling (Tour de France, etc.) Sadly after many years Formula One is now headed for ESPN (shudder)
not really, F1 in the US won't be covered by ESPN, they're using the UK feed, from what we racing fans know, Indycar, its contract past 2018, is unknown and will the ABC portion of the series go elsewhere other than NBCSN...

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
not really, F1 in the US won't be covered by ESPN, they're using the UK feed, from what we racing fans know, Indycar, its contract past 2018, is unknown and will the ABC portion of the series go elsewhere other than NBCSN...

Yeah, I know about F1's situation, didn't think this crowd cared about whether it was organic or someone else's F1 feed. (to everyone else: do you? :laugh: ) Bottom line, the channel you will turn to to watch it in the US will have an 'ESPN' on the front of it. Probably.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah, I know about F1's situation, didn't think this crowd cared about whether it was organic or someone else's F1 feed. (to everyone else: do you? :laugh: ) Bottom line, the channel you will turn to to watch it in the US will have an 'ESPN' on the front of it. Probably.

that's been discussed in the F1 thread.... among other racing threads

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

What! When did this happen? How could F1 be okay with one the largest markets just using UK feed.

Is there still going to be commercials during the race? That stuff was annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->