Maybe ESPN does have interest in the NHL

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Even at the end.

Well, maybe that’s not quite right. The initial presentation of the NHL on OLN/Vs. was pretty awful. NBC/NBCSN has improved on that quite a bit. So maybe the relative perception just looks so much better from ESPN at the end because of what we got right after.

And it’s true that ESPN has changed quite a bit.

You can argue all you want about the quality of the presentation from that era, but it is what people miss about being on ESPN.

Last night NBCSN aired two hockey games with pre-game, intermission, post game productions. The entire night was dedicated to the NHL. Every night this week on NBCSN has been dedicated to the NHL, and this is pretty much true the entire hockey season. How can anybody complain about the coverage and production that NBC and NBCSN is giving to the NHL? Unbelievable. At the same time, you won't here a peep out of ESPN on any of their platforms about the NHL, and when they did have the NHL they put the league on the Deuce.

I don't want the NHL anywhere near ESPN. Could you imagine how bad they would politicize the NHL like they do every other sport? NBC just gives us straight coverage and analysis.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Last night NBCSN aired two hockey games with pre-game, intermission, post game productions. The entire night was dedicated to the NHL. Every night this week on NBCSN has been dedicated to the NHL, and this is pretty much true the entire hockey season. How can anybody complain about the coverage and production that NBC and NBCSN is giving to the NHL? Unbelievable. At the same time, you won't here a peep out of ESPN on any of their platforms about the NHL, and when they did have the NHL they put the league on the Deuce.

I don't want the NHL anywhere near ESPN. Could you imagine how bad they would politicize the NHL like they do every other sport? NBC just gives us straight coverage and analysis.

The amount of coverage really isn’t what I’m talking about. Their intermission reports and post game sucks. Their PBP and color guys generally suck. These things were never a problem on ESPN, to my memory.

Back then, being on ESPN2 didn’t mean any suffering in quality or availability so... not sure.

Again, the question was why people want ESPN. It’s not about what ESPN is right now. It should be, but people have very fond memories of the NHL on ESPN for good reason.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
It was cool seeing hockey on ESPN again during the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. I think they also showed some KHL games during the 2012-2013 lockout.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Can't find it on YT but theres a clip out there of some genius on that dumb SportsNation show who claimed he followed the Thrashers until they relocated to Nashville :laugh:

I have zero issue with ESPN and the NHL cutting ties w/ one another. The network is cutting employees left and right and has become nothing more than the LeBron James/NFL flavor of the month/Politics network. No thank you.

Reactions: Elliman

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
NHL going back to ESPN would be disaster

Coverage would be relegated to ESPN3 at best and even then we might have games cut off so that they can break in coverage to show some NBA developmental league action

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
NHL going back to ESPN would be disaster

Coverage would be relegated to ESPN3 at best and even then we might have games cut off so that they can break in coverage to show some NBA developmental league action

They'll also cut away for breaking news that LeBron James doesn't like his teammates or got his coach fired, then spend the next 2 hours talking about it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
...Or rise in cord cutter is more likely.

While a major factor, can you confirm that other broadcast channels have been as affected as ESPN has? I think it has much more to do with the fact that people no longer need ESPN to get their daily fix of sports highlights and scores. I have 4 apps on my phone for that, not including this message board or reddit or even twitter. Back in the day people put ESPN on in the background on a weekend just for noise. Now, its Youtube.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Espn doesn’t have the money to get into the NHL anymore. Brutal contracts withe NBA and NFL have taken their toll.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The NHL players aren't political enough for ESPN. They like the NFL wingnuts like Michael Bennett an Colin Kaepernick. Fits the ESPN narrative

Reactions: adsfan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NHL players aren't political enough for ESPN. They like the NFL wingnuts like Michael Bennett an Colin Kaepernick. Fits the ESPN narrative

Reasons why i don't really watch ESPN and NFL anymore these days.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I stopped watching the NFL after San Diego was allowed to move to LA. The league became a joke to me after that.

i got tired of it once the politics got involved within the NFL. The league has the ability to stop it and refused to do so.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Free speech isn't a concern with regard to the NFL and anthem protests, but every time I hear someone complain about politics in the NFL like it's new I laugh.

Reactions: TheSituation

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Free speech isn't a concern with regard to the NFL and anthem protests, but every time I hear someone complain about politics in the NFL like it's new I laugh.

When I want to watch a sports game on tv I want to watch the sport game not watch players protest what i consider over political issues. Same thing with ESPN focus on the sports on not politics.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Stopping free speech. Excellent idea.

Umm free speech doesn't apply at the workforce only government. If I sat in protest while on the clock at some company, I'll be fired on the spot. The NFL has the ability to end the kneeling protest by setting league wide policies that all must stand. They won't and thus people will continue to stop watching the games.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
While a major factor, can you confirm that other broadcast channels have been as affected as ESPN has? I think it has much more to do with the fact that people no longer need ESPN to get their daily fix of sports highlights and scores. I have 4 apps on my phone for that, not including this message board or reddit or even twitter. Back in the day people put ESPN on in the background on a weekend just for noise. Now, its Youtube.

ESPN has been the most affected because they have by far the highest subscriber fees.

If there's 1,000 people paying $5 month for your product, and 300 cancel, that's a way bigger deal than if you were only charging $0.25.

And the networks charging 25 cents don't have the crippling contracts ESPN does. Their NFL, NBA, and CFP deals are insane.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
When I want to watch a sports game on tv I want to watch the sport game not watch players protest what i consider over political issues. Same thing with ESPN focus on the sports on not politics.

I hope you're in favor of stopping the national anthem at sporting events.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I could care less whether an anthem is played or not, I just don't want to hear about politics when I turn on ESPN or a game. Not sure why people can't understand that. I watch sports to get away from the negative and pettiness that politics has evolved into. If I wanted to watch that hogwash I'd turn on CNN or Foxnews. One of the reasons I cut the chord on ESPN is because of this. Almost everyone I hang with have gotten rid if it too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad