Maybe ESPN does have interest in the NHL

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
I would be down for the NHL on fox to come back. Loved the pregame show they used to have.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Just don't bring back that glowing puck.

With FS1 and FS2 they could just have simulcast, on 1 you get the game for regulars and on 2 you get the glowing puck, announcers who dumb the game down a bit and a 20-something "sideline" reporter showing cleavage. There then the NHL gets "Hockey is for Everyone".

Reactions: Morrison

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
John Skipper is officially gone!!
ESPN when they actually cover sports is nothing more than NFL Network with NBA sprinkled in. They only care about 2 sports anymore.

Reactions: adsfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

So one hour before deadline to one hour after on the Deuce.

Or just tune in to NHL Network for the full show. (BTW the most recent Bobcast had McKenzie, Dreger and LeBrun on sharing history of TDL coverage and other anecdotes. Fun listen)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
ESPN3, eh?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Butch 19

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
It’s because they’re struggling for content due to budget cuts - since ESPN owns TSN, simulcasting TSN’s deadline show is an inexpensive way to fill that time slot.

They must be really desperate to be barking up the NHL fans tree.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It’s because they’re struggling for content due to budget cuts - since ESPN owns TSN, simulcasting TSN’s deadline show is an inexpensive way to fill that time slot.

They must be really desperate to be barking up the NHL fans tree.

Well they don't own TSN, ESPN (as a representative of Disney) has a minority share while Bell Canada owns a controlling share. ESPN has no control over TSN, though it's reasonable to assume they share content for below market prices.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Well they don't own TSN, ESPN (as a representative of Disney) has a minority share while Bell Canada owns a controlling share. ESPN has no control over TSN, though it's reasonable to assume they share content for below market prices.
I stand corrected - I was always under the impression that they were owned by the same people (Disney).

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
It’s because the NHL on ESPN was the last time there was quality presentation of the league in the US.

I would debate that statement especially at the end. The truth is, ESPN dumped hockey. Why go back to a bad relationship? Plus, I'm not impressed by ESPN's current presentation methods, so that era you describe is long gone. The league is much better off with NBC...

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I would debate that statement especially at the end. The truth is, ESPN dumped hockey. Why go back to a bad relationship? Plus, I'm not impressed by ESPN's current presentation methods, so that era you describe is long gone. The league is much better off with NBC...
I would agree. The way ESPN has treated the NHL over the last decade, they've lost a lot of customers. NBC actually cares, ESPN, not so much. All ESPN cares about is NBA/NFL and political talk shows. It's become unwatchable for half of the population

Reactions: Hull and Oates

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Even at the end.

Well, maybe that’s not quite right. The initial presentation of the NHL on OLN/Vs. was pretty awful. NBC/NBCSN has improved on that quite a bit. So maybe the relative perception just looks so much better from ESPN at the end because of what we got right after.

And it’s true that ESPN has changed quite a bit.

You can argue all you want about the quality of the presentation from that era, but it is what people miss about being on ESPN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->