GDT: May 8 • United States 4, Finland 1

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
I blame Raanta for this lose he made huge mistake when he shook hands with our prime minister Jyrki Katainen.:shakehead

All these eu fanatic politicans should stay away from hockey rink atleast now for WC and when he just yesterday was talking about how good it would be for finland to go EUs federal state
he would much rather to see finland playing for team eu than for suomi everybody knows that.

And we may have to put Ortio on goal for rest of the tournament because raantas other hand might be cursed i didnt see even on glove save from him tonight but thats what you get when you shake hands whit Katainen or other kokkeli people.

Do remember last year? when A.Stubb came to almost finnish locker room after QF win against USA after that we lost our all games:laugh:

But Hopefuly we can Break The Spell this time!!!!

NAI77

Feb 18, 2006
NY
I think this was a pretty impressive result, especially when one takes into account the paucity of good players that were available to the US and the lack of regard for this tournament in the US, especially when compared to a country like Finland where the tournament means a great deal.

Gibson is clearly a stud when it comes to international competition, hopefully for his sake he can carry that form into the NHL!

Also I'm sure it's not exactly a new complaint but it really would be great if the IIHF could ever sort out a time for this tournament that wasn't as completely ridiculous as it is now. I really enjoy the flow of the international game with its bigger ice surface more than the NHL and it's a shame that teams, especially the US with its comparitive lack of depth, cannot field better rosters for a tournament that purports itself as a world championship!

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If only Joensuu was in the squad this year :(

Yes, he would've totally scored a hatty in this game... :sarcasm:

My God Aaltonen :facepalm: Please just go home. Same with Viitaluoma and Haataja and about half of the defense. Just. Go. Home.

Koskiranta was pretty good tonight, Jalonen should let him center the 2nd line from now on.

Our 1st line got too fancy. That kind of pretty stuff just doesn't work with team like the USA, Kontiola. It's like he thinks he's Sidney Crosby. With the Americans, you just need to execute, not twiddle with the damned puck.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great result for Team USA. I didn't see the game but it's awesome that Gibson did so well. Given the positive tournament so far, I'm hopeful we can add two significant pieces with our final two roster spots and possibly make a run.

Craig Smith must love not playing for Barry Trotz.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I think this was a pretty impressive result, especially when one takes into account the paucity of good players that were available to the US and the lack of regard for this tournament in the US, especially when compared to a country like Finland where the tournament means a great deal.

Gibson is clearly a stud when it comes to international competition, hopefully for his sake he can carry that form into the NHL!

Also I'm sure it's not exactly a new complaint but it really would be great if the IIHF could ever sort out a time for this tournament that wasn't as completely ridiculous as it is now. I really enjoy the flow of the international game with its bigger ice surface more than the NHL and it's a shame that teams, especially the US with its comparitive lack of depth, cannot field better rosters for a tournament that purports itself as a world championship!

Well, it doesn't seem to be held in such high regard by the players, as all but one of our NHLers declined. Not that it's an excuse for the poor showing..

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
1656846-max994x592.jpg

1656847-max994x592.jpg

1656849-max994x592.jpg

1656851-max994x592.jpg

1656852-max994x592.jpg

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
USA was very good excpet for the first few minutes. The Moss-Stastny-Smith line had good chances just about everytime they were on the ice. Finland had a pretty good transition game and managed to generate quite a few chances off the rush that Gibson did well to stop. But along the boards the US was pretty dominant I thought. I like this American team, they don;t have a ton of skill but they play hard. They almost got a result against the mighty Russians yesterday.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
USA was very good excpet for the first few minutes. The Moss-Stastny-Smith line had good chances just about everytime they were on the ice. Finland had a pretty good transition game and managed to generate quite a few chances off the rush that Gibson did well to stop. But along the boards the US was pretty dominant I thought. I like this American team, they don;t have a ton of skill but they play hard. They almost got a result against the mighty Russians yesterday.

That's to be expected with our KHL/SM-Liiga defence...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Nice win. Credit to Trouba for bouncing back from the benching with his strongest game yet. Gibson was good and it'll be interesting to see how the goalie situation works out over the next few games.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I admit, I was pretty nervous to see Gibson was starting. It's fine to start a young goalie against a team like France or Latvia, but against a "Big 7" team like Finland, I thought it was suicidal not to start your only NHL-caliber goalie. My kneejerk reaction was to say, "Now I see why Colorado fired Sacco."

I was dead wrong. Kid played a hell of a game. I'm not about to get crazy like some and say Gibson should be the Ducks' starter next year, or should be in contention for the #3 spot on the Sochi team. But he was awesome tonight and he deserves a ton of credit.

Hey, anyone else get the feeling Don Cherry's preparing a Tweet right now crediting Canada for Team USA's victory because Gibson plays in the CHL?

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Great result for Team USA. I didn't see the game but it's awesome that Gibson did so well. Given the positive tournament so far, I'm hopeful we can add two significant pieces with our final two roster spots and possibly make a run.

Craig Smith must love not playing for Barry Trotz.

it never stopped Kariya, Radulov, Arnott, or Sullivan. But poor Craig Smith... :laugh:

Truth is, Craig didnt do crap all season. I believe he just hit his somphmore slump and will hopefully bounce back nxt year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I admit, I was pretty nervous to see Gibson was starting. It's fine to start a young goalie against a team like France or Latvia, but against a "Big 7" team like Finland, I thought it was suicidal not to start your only NHL-caliber goalie. My kneejerk reaction was to say, "Now I see why Colorado fired Sacco."

I was dead wrong. Kid played a hell of a game. I'm not about to get crazy like some and say Gibson should be the Ducks' starter next year, or should be in contention for the #3 spot on the Sochi team. But he was awesome tonight and he deserves a ton of credit.

Hey, anyone else get the feeling Don Cherry's preparing a Tweet right now crediting Canada for Team USA's victory because Gibson plays in the CHL?

Yeah...Gibson could possibly split time with Andersen.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He also won the World Juniors, let up only one goal against Canada with RNH and Huberdeau and just two goals in the knockout round. Pretty impressive goalie. This ain't some overrated Jack Campbell here (who everyone forgets played 2 periods against Canada in the Gold Medal Game and none of the games leading up to that).

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
That's to be expected with our KHL/SM-Liiga defence...

It wasn't just the defense. Even Kontiola couldn't protect the puck well enough. It wasn't about a lack of effort from the team, it was about simply not having enough skill to win games like this, even though this Team USA is nothing compared to last year's. Most of our players are also too weak to play North Americans, which in some cases looked to be a bigger issue than a lack of skill. Salminen is a good example of this. Skilled and fast, but gets thrown around like a wet dishrag and can't win battles.

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Good call. Too bad you had the teams backward.

Yes he did...and considering our squad didn't have a single NHL player on it, I think the score is actually very flattering for you guys. Outside of a big difference in scoring efficiency, of course, I don't think it really reflects what we saw on the ice regarding the quality of these teams. Anyways, good game US!

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I was really surprised how good the US goalie was. I was also surprised how terrible our team was.

Congrats USA, you were better.

supersoaker

Feb 26, 2010
so with the loss yesterday, finland is likely to face the winner of swe-can tonight in the qf's, if no major surprises will happen!? i would rahter face the swiss though, they are known to suck in important games... but maybe to early to make such predictions!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
so with the loss yesterday, finland is likely to face the winner of swe-can tonight in the qf's, if no major surprises will happen!? i would rahter face the swiss though, they are known to suck in important games... but maybe to early to make such predictions!
Oh for crissake. QFs. Are. Played. Within. The. Own. Group. Only those teams that make the semis will face teams from the other group.

In a sense, winning or losing this game doesn't make an ounce of difference if you're going to be 2nd or 3rd. Because those seeds are the teams that will square off in the QF.

supersoaker

Feb 26, 2010
Oh for crissake. QFs. Are. Played. Within. The. Own. Group. Only those teams that make the semis will face teams from the other group.

In a sense, winning or losing this game doesn't make an ounce of difference if you're going to be 2nd or 3rd. Because those seeds are the teams that will square off in the QF.

oh, my bad. did not remembered the stupidity of the format, never been a fan of playing qfs in the own group... anyway, advancing to the semis would be huge surprise for that team finland, imo.

but whats up with the bashing of aaltonen, so far the most entertaining player of finland (besides kontiola)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad