GDT: May 10 • Slovakia 1, Austria 2 (SO)

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
great W! and this is a pretty cool wc so far with all these upsets, not much of those usual 0-5, 2-7 or 1-8 games for the underdogs

Artemia

Mar 2, 2011
Great win for Austria. Austria has potential as a hockey nation so hopefully you'll become even better in the future.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Great win for Austria. Austria has potential as a hockey nation so hopefully you'll become even better in the future.

meh about the potential. There are just little to no structures (aka buildings, rinks,...) aside from Carinthia (and even there, the two major towns have arenas which basically need to be rebuilt cause they're so old). Vienna, at nearly 2 million inhabitants has only 2 spots worth mentioning (Albert Schultz Halle (about a 7000 capacity) and Eislaufverein (not that the 2nd one is anything to brag about)) and I don't even want to start a rant about the situation in Graz.
I think the interest in public would be there, especially with EBEL improving year after year. But Management is more concerned about the buffet than the game. On a positive note though, I really think youth hockey and scouting got a lot better since I was 14-16 (so about 10 years ago). Perhaps something can be made out of that.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
I always wondered how the Austrian team would perform with Vanek lined up. And it seems like the whole team has improved since last time they were in the elite .Impressive performance by the Austrian team so far.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
France beating Russia? Cze going to OT with Denmark? SLO and CZE being tied in the third? khm...
France beating Russia was a major upset, while CZE going to OT vs. Denmark or Slovakian losses aren't really major upsets. I was expecting that Slovakia will perform poorly this year, considering their KHL/Slovakian-league based lineup.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Division II teams beating Elite teams? Interesting Tournament.

Congrats Austria!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Congrats to Austria. They have been terrible so far and I have given it to them but this was a big win.

The Slovaks have lost to Latvia and Austria on the trot now so they will not be adding to the trophy case this year.

Exique*

We will get more points than they will.

Pretty ballsy thing to say considering that the French were able to upset Russians and Germany went to OT with Finns(they also performed really well against Russia apart from the last few minutes in the 3rd when they crapped their pants). Both are strong teams and underestimating them would be a BIG mistake.

In my opinion we should concentrate on the performance of our own. I don't give a flying ******* about Slovakia at this point.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Pretty ballsy thing to say considering that the French were able to upset Russians and Germany went to OT with Finns(they also performed really well against Russia apart from the last few minutes in the 3rd when they crapped their pants). Both are strong teams and underestimating them would be a BIG mistake.

In my opinion we should concentrate on the performance of our own. I don't give a flying ******* about Slovakia at this point.
You're paying too much attention to individual matches. We're a tad bit worse than Germany, the odds are in their favour, but the game will be close. As for France, it's a coinflip pretty much.

Now, unless you missed your probability lessons in high school, this means that on average in most cases we'll get more points than Slovakia. Never said it will be easy.

Exique*

You're paying too much attention to individual matches. We're a tad bit worse than Germany, the odds are in their favour, but the game will be close. As for France, it's a coinflip pretty much.

Now, unless you missed your probability lessons in high school, this means that on average in most cases we'll get more points than Slovakia. Never said it will be easy.
All I did was point out that both Germans and French seem to be doing fairly well and most likely we'll have a tough time beating them.

Now, I don't know where you learnt your English, but "We will get more points than they will" isn't the same as "I'm saying the probability of us getting more points is higher". You're pretty much stating that it's guaranteed for us to get more points than Slovakia and that's just silly ;)

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
All I did was point out that both Germans and French seem to be doing fairly well and most likely we'll have a tough time beating them.

Now, I don't know where you learnt your English, but "We will get more points than they will" isn't the same as "I'm saying the probability of us getting more points is higher". You're pretty much stating that it's guaranteed for us to get more points than Slovakia and that's just silly ;)

The group's still pretty open and to predict something here is pretty useless. If we beat Germans today we're very close to 1/4 final (but if lose to France later, relegation again is a question mark), if we lose today we're pretty close to elimination but even with that all hope's not lost... And when people talk that Slovaks will relegate because they have 6 points and have to play only USA and Russia now... well, Austria has 5 points and will have to face Finland and Russia.

The question of relegation will be open until the last games are played. Unless we don't beat both Germany and France and have 9 points and can be pretty comfortable before the last game.... but it will be oh so hard.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The group's still pretty open and to predict something here is pretty useless. If we beat Germans today we're very close to 1/4 final (but if lose to France later, relegation again is a question mark), if we lose today we're pretty close to elimination but even with that all hope's not lost... And when people talk that Slovaks will relegate because they have 6 points and have to play only USA and Russia now... well, Austria has 5 points and will have to face Finland and Russia.

The question of relegation will be open until the last games are played. Unless we don't beat both Germany and France and have 9 points and can be pretty comfortable before the last game.... but it will be oh so hard.

Not to be pedantic, but last time I checked we had 7 points (2 regular wins over France and Germany and a point against Austria) because that one point could be quite important both when it comes to QF and relegation...

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Not to be pedantic, but last time I checked we had 7 points (2 regular wins over France and Germany and a point against Austria) because that one point could be quite important both when it comes to QF and relegation...

Sure, I was just wondering why someone thought Slovakia will relegate??? :laugh:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

a) it has nothing to do with English;
b) nothing is 'guaranteed' in sports, it's all about probabilities. I thought it was common knowledge, but apparently I was wrong;
c) everyone here knows how the Germans and the French have fared so far in the WCH, so you mentioning that was absolutely pointless AND completely unrelated to what I was saying.

Not to mention that a single win (over Austria) can't really be considered a good start for Germany. They're in a similar position as we are. We need 3 points to stay up (2 p. in 1 scenario), they need 1, if Austria doesn't get any points in their last 2 matches.

Exique*

a) it has nothing to do with English;
b) nothing is 'guaranteed' in sports, it's all about probabilities. I thought it was common knowledge, but apparently I was wrong;
c) everyone here knows how the Germans and the French have fared so far in the WCH, so you mentioning that was absolutely pointless AND completely unrelated to what I was saying.

Not to mention that a single win (over Austria) can't really be considered a good start for Germany. They're in a similar position as we are. We need 3 points to stay up (2 p. in 1 scenario), they need 1, if Austria doesn't get any points in their last 2 matches.

facepalm.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad