Apparently the Penguins haven't signed a deal yet but I imagine they will.This
kid in my opinion is one of the best prospects out there.He's a natural leader
the hardest worker on his team and he's shown a willingness and ability to
improve on his weaknesses.They say he lacks talent in some areas but I think
he's also a bit of a late bloomer and regardless he'd make a great contribution
as an effort player to any team.Just a note-He was 3rd in scoring but he had
missed some games and on a points per game basis he wasn't too far behind
Crosby.Considering he's a great defensive player and an awesome penalty killer
I think whoever signs him has a hidden gem.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
pei fan said:
Apparently the Penguins haven't signed a deal yet but I imagine they will.This
kid in my opinion is one of the best prospects out there.He's a natural leader
the hardest worker on his team and he's shown a willingness and ability to
improve on his weaknesses.They say he lacks talent in some areas but I think
he's also a bit of a late bloomer and regardless he'd make a great contribution
as an effort player to any team.Just a note-He was 3rd in scoring but he had
missed some games and on a points per game basis he wasn't too far behind
Crosby.Considering he's a great defensive player and an awesome penalty killer
I think whoever signs him has a hidden gem.

talbot missed 10 or 11 games like Crosby... But Talbot is my favorite player in the Q a hard-worker... shloud maybe start with the pens soon

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
CrosbyIsGod said:
talbot missed 10 or 11 games like Crosby... But Talbot is my favorite player in the Q a hard-worker... shloud maybe start with the pens soon

He missed about 10 more than Crosby if I'm not mistaken. He only played about 50 games.

As Kryoptix said he'll be one of the best #3 centers in the league.

Maybe I'm biased as a Pens fan, and he's my favorite prospect outside of the NHL not counting undrafted players...but I stand by my words. I love this guy.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Dr. kØUkLØs said:
He had a great season, finished 3rd in scoring.
He's doing the same in the playoffs, slowly guiding his team to the Memorial Cup.
What is his NHL potential?
What can he bring to the Penguins?

I can see him being a player similar to Claude Lapointe at his peak, if he pans out. (Lapointe had some 15-goal/30-ptish seasons).

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
He's primed for the third line, and he could play in the NHL pretty soon. His skill set isn't really transferable to the NHLin terms of putting up points, but he certainly has the head, hard work, skating ability and physical willingness of a great checking line center. He's also a born leader, so he could make an incredibly valuable third line player too.

Nikk

Mar 9, 2004
I've seen Talbot play all last year and this year. This guy always giving his 100% all the time. Its very seldom he does not play well. He has this drive and intensity that stands out. He will never stop playing intense even if the game is in their pocket. During the season, he played 51 games (8 games less than Crosby) and has 25 goals, 73 assists and +33. In the series, he has played 10 games and he has 6 goals and 13 assists and +12. He is now the leader in points in the LHJMQ.
If he would have had these stats going into the draft in 2002 he would have definitely come out earlier than the 8th round. It happens often that a player is drafted late and comes out to be a better player than an earlier pick. Pittsburgh saw potential in Talbot and now I'm sure other teams must be second guessing some of their choices back in 2002.
Anyway, I'm sure he will be signing soon, probably right after the Memorial Cup, but with the strike coming up, I'm not sure if he will be playing in the American Hockey League or stay another year in Juniors because he still has another year since he will be 21 only in February 2005. Time will tell.

NewHabsEra*

Im a big fan of... Could become a Mike Peca type of player for the Pens!

leafaholix*

I think he'll probably have a similar start to his professional career as Derek Roy.

He's not as gritty as Roy, but they're similar players.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I saw Talbot play a couple of times and he is fast, very fast. Underrated offensive skills, since his line is one of the most dangerous in the QMJHL. I'd say a John Madden, but not a poor man. He could have the same impact that Madden have right now. Talbot also possess a lot of grit, but he's not looking for any big hit.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
I think he'll probably have a similar start to his professional career as Derek Roy.

He's not as gritty as Roy, but they're similar players.

He doesn't have the offensive upside of a Derek Roy. Roy scores a lot becuase he's got incredibly soft hands, but Talbot's scoring prowess in junior is more due to hard work, a good shot and quick feet, rather than pure offensive gifts.

John Madden isn't a bad comparison. He's not as much of an open ice hitter as Peca though. Kris Draper is a name that keeps coming back to me too.

One that just came to me is Scott Walker. Nobody quite expected Walker to score much in the NHL, but he's made himself into one heck of a scorer. Walker is an incredible leader who works his butt off on the ice and in the gym...sounds a lot like Max Talbot.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I do like Talbot, I think he's going to be a pretty big piece to the puzzle. No idea where his offense is going to take him, though.

I think he's Sergei Brylin-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad