Maxim Shalunov

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I've been working on a metric that predicts a prospect's future point total based on their current league, age, production and a host of other stats.
After last year's breakout season, at his peak if Shalunov is able to translate his game to the NHL level, he projects as a 44 point second line RW.
250uj3n.jpg

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The Hawks still own Shalunov's rights because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL.

Other European leagues do have transfer agreements with the NHL so the Hawks do lose their rights to those players quicker. The KHL is an exception.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think I saw something about Shalunov in Twitter and I’m pretty sure it was a report from Powers, behind the paywall of course.

Does anybody have any idea about his situation? He is not going to Olympics so I wonder if he likes to join us next summer. He signed three year contract with the CSKA but in Russia it means nothing.

He is playing C in Moscow so: we trade Anisimov and slot Shalunov as 3C to make space? Obviously Anisimov as fellow Russian could be his mentor so Shalunov as RW.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think I saw something about Shalunov in Twitter and I’m pretty sure it was a report from Powers, behind the paywall of course.

Does anybody have any idea about his situation? He is not going to Olympics so I wonder if he likes to join us next summer. He signed three year contract with the CSKA but in Russia it means nothing.

He is playing C in Moscow so: we trade Anisimov and slot Shalunov as 3C to make space? Obviously Anisimov as fellow Russian could be his mentor so Shalunov as RW.
he has said it last yr and thru his rep, he wants at the end of the day, top 6 position and minutes, right off the start. he will to my impression will be one of those players who will put one team, in another league against the idea of loosing him to another league.

f*** that, let him rot in the russian league. nhl is the premiere league in the world.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
He signed till he no longer has to accept a ELC. So at that point he has more power in that he can say he will only come over for $$ money. We do own his rights forever until he signs at least a 1 year deal or a ELC.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Curious anyone heard anything about Shalunov lately? What is his contract status in KHL?

With recent signings from KHL to NHL and with him having down year I wonder if Hawks could get him to come over

Or is it safe to assume he is never coming back?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Powers talked to him for an article this year and I think he has another year on his contract there. I pretty much wrote him off like in 2016 and figured they should of traded him if anyone wanted to give up something.

If he comes over it may be past his prime so I never considered it a real desire anymore. But maybe next year he and the other 2 draftees will come over. And they could join Podz if drafted

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
1 year left on his Khl deal and then it's just a Russian maybe. He will have a legit chance if he chooses it. But financially it will more his worthwhile to stay.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Trade his rights. ..if NY teamwants him..did not have a great season or playoffs. ..

Grigorenko on the other hand did ...is he free or does a n NHL team Stull hold his rights? HEUSVONLY 24 yrs old. .

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

At this point, he's a write-off.

The cap over the next few years is going to be tight, and we have more than enough other prospects we could use the ELC money on that have the potential for greater impact.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Sign him to an ELC why not. It could be a quality EU signing, no risks. Maybe he works out, maybe no. After all these years of talk i just want to sign for the sake of it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Does he wear 87 like Crosby in the NHL? And, will it be a one year deal because of his age?

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Anyone got a breakdown on where his game and skill is now? I feel like he’s a good sized, solid skating, 200ft player with some offensive ability and instincts, not sure how accurate that is though

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Shalunov can step in and be a really good 4th liner, that honestly does a lot for us.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Aim higher. Shalunov can slot in on any line. If he bumps Caggs down to a 4th line role, that's a win-win. Of course, I'm assuming that Shalunov is good.

I mean even a 30 point right winger would be a great pickup

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It would be nice to see if he can play, but nothing to get jacked about now.

Who called the enthusiasm police? I don't see anyone proclaiming Shalunov's another Kubalik.

He played for a top KHL club the past 3 years and produced. He's 27, fast, pretty skilled and has great size. I think he can help.

Plus, he's lived in NA before, so acclimating won't be nearly the issue it usually is with Rooskies.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It would be nice to see if he can play, but nothing to get jacked about now.

He has performed well in the 2nd best league in the world so it is very obvious he can play. In saying that, he is not going to come in and be some 1st line stud. He is a bottom 6 guy with some offensive skill. 20-30 points playing in the bottom 6 would help this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->