Maxim Shalunov

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Who cares?!? In my kind, he's a unicorn who people say exists on the other side of the world. Why waste our time and resources? We don't know if it's real or usefulness if it does. If he's interested, he'll come over. If not, who cares?!?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Who cares?!? In my kind, he's a unicorn who people say exists on the other side of the world. Why waste our time and resources? We don't know if it's real or usefulness if it does. If he's interested, he'll come over. If not, who cares?!?

excellent response and very true. nhl is the premiere league and the true test for any hockey player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
excellent response and very true. nhl is the premiere league and the true test for any hockey player.

I think the point is that we're making him more than he is. People covet the unknown. It's human nature. Would it be nice for him to come to the US? Absolutely. However, we really don't know what he is. If he wants to stay in Russia, good for him. It's not like we're losing Kevin Hayes. He's just a unicorn ... who might exist. And even it does, will it be useful?

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I heard that he wants the opportunity to play for Russia in the Olympics and won't come to NHL next year.

I brought this up on post 301, but the Olympics kinda seem like a pipedream for him, even without the NHL there. He wasn't one of the top Russian born KHL scorers last year (16th when I looked towards the end of the season) and if free agents like Radulov return to the KHL to play in the Olympics or guys like Ovy or Malkin leave during the season he's pushed even further down the list.

If that's what he's holding out hope for, I'd guess he'll be disappointed.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I'm noticing a trend of a guy who doesn't appear to be too interested in testing himself against the best competition in the world.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I'm noticing a trend of a guy who doesn't appear to be too interested in testing himself against the best competition in the world.

Pretty much my thinking. No drive. He wouldn't make it over here the way he is acting. Just how I feel about the guy. And piteus is correct on people covering the unknown.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
lmao

'I can't believe the NHL won't let players play in the Olympics they should just go!'
/guy not bound by NHL contract stays in KHL to possibly play in the Olympics
'I can't believe he's not coming to the NHL! No drive! Sad!'

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think the point is that we're making him more than he is. People covet the unknown. It's human nature. Would it be nice for him to come to the US? Absolutely. However, we really don't know what he is. If he wants to stay in Russia, good for him. It's not like we're losing Kevin Hayes. He's just a unicorn ... who might exist. And even it does, will it be useful?

i agree re the bold, and i do agree. the other part is the nature of being a fan of the hawks, ie our prospects are so much better than what is really the truth.

i have been very skeptical on him and voice it on the old threads, esp in the trade deadline. either way, i really liked some of the recent signings that SB did.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Whatever, don't come over here Shalunov. I don't care anymore. Have fun playing in a lesser league for the next three years.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I never figured he would come back when he left NA and was surprised with all the Shalunov talk this past year when it came to forefront for months,, So really nothing is lost here

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

....he's staying in the NHL because he wants to play in the Olympics.

If Panarin had known what he knows now, he probably waits til after the Olympics to come play in the NHL too.

Mor over, he's going to make waaaaay more money over there than he will on an ELC here. And when he does come over at 27 years old, he'll only have to play at a reduced rate for one year before being an NHL UFA. So he's being smart, financially, if nothing else.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Panarin also won the Gagarin Cup and Shaulov still seemed to be desiring the whole notion of being able to play for one of the few good KHL teams and get a shot at that. The potential to be on SKA is a big thing.

I said back before when the talk was kinda starting he may be a better trade piece than a hope for the Hawks to ever get him, but I don't know if there would of been value for him to anyone

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
That's what I said over a month ago and got flamed for it.

Really? His agent even said at the trade deadline that he's not very liley to come over within the next two years. I thought that was common knowledge.

Regardless, there should too be any ill-will towards Shalunov. When you've yet to sign a relatively large contract as a professional, it's hard to turn down your first big payday to go make league minimum in the NHL. In a sport like hockey you never know what can happen. I've seen so many horror stories about players falling into the boards weird and being paralyzed. Hockey is a very dangerous game. I'll never fault a player for securing a future for himself/family. I think the Olympics may have just been a kicker.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'm watching Shalunov live in Hartwall Arena against Jokerit. I'll provide some report.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'm watching Shalunov live in Hartwall Arena against Jokerit. I'll provide some report.

I'm unclear about his free agency status. I see posts about him as if he's still Hawks "property" but I thought the Hawks don't own his rights anymore. Please straighten me out on that.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm unclear about his free agency status. I see posts about him as if he's still Hawks "property" but I thought the Hawks don't own his rights anymore. Please straighten me out on that.

My understanding was that if Shalunov returns at the end of his current KHL contract (he'll be 27), he'll still be Blackhawks property and he has to play for them if he plays in the NHL. But I think if he takes another KHL deal, or plays somewhere else for another year or more, then he's an FA that can be signed under the same salary rules as Panarin was.

Could be totally wrong though. Vaguely remember reading it somewhere.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
My understanding was that if Shalunov returns at the end of his current KHL contract (he'll be 27), he'll still be Blackhawks property and he has to play for them if he plays in the NHL. But I think if he takes another KHL deal, or plays somewhere else for another year or more, then he's an FA that can be signed under the same salary rules as Panarin was.

You are right. Well at least I've read about this from Scott Powers and he said the same thing.

But yeah, whole CSKA team was a bit tired after long trip in other cities so they were out played and out scored 4-0. Shalunov played almost 17 minutes, one shot on goal and FO% 63.

Shalunov was a bit dissappointment but I still saw some good things in him. He loves to use his size, he has playmaking abilities and very good shot. He missed top corner few times and I remember one time when he had a wide open goal but pass came in to his feet.

He has some serious skills and speed and I can see him in NHL if he wants to come.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

As I already admitted - I don't know what the rule is. So, you could be correct but I'm pretty sure the Hawks have had to fish or cut bait with other prospects well before they turned 27 - they either had to sign them or they became a free agent.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
As I already admitted - I don't know what the rule is. So, you could be correct but I'm pretty sure the Hawks have had to fish or cut bait with other prospects well before they turned 27 - they either had to sign them or they became a free agent.

The rules for players playing in European leagues is different. I'm pretty positive JD is correct and we own his rights until he hits his UFA years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->